Anyone know the name of this track I heard?

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I'm looking for the name of a break that I hear everywhere, so its gotta be well known, but I just don't know the name of it. It is always used in documentaries about new york and stuff. Its a slow soul track and starts with just slow bongos and a single piano chord (a minor chord) on the second beat of every bar, probably made in the late 60's. It isn't at all upbeat or happy sounding, its just a piano chord and some bongos. I think there are vocals in it which come in after that part, by probably someone with a voice sounding like curtis mayfield, bobby womack or someone with a relatively high pitched voice - but a bit more gravelly. If I had to liken it to a tune I know already it would be the one used for 'Name Tag' by Gangstarr, which used a loop from The Originals - 'Fantasy Interlude' and that had the same vibe as the track I'm trying to hunt down.Any ideas? If anyone knows what its called or has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate it.Peace.

Comments

• soundclip please!

• Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
    Sorry, I heard it on a documentary on television and didn't have time to tape it. It was just a snippet.

There aren't too many tracks which have just a minor piano chord and a set of bongos at the intro.

Just think 'tap tap (A minor-----), tap tap (A-minor--------)'

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Sorry, I heard it on a documentary on television and didn't have time to tape it. It was just a snippet.

name of documentary please!

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    Inner City Blues?

I feel so dirty

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    "Inner City Blues"?

Bongos, the minorest of chords, falsettoish vocals at the top...could be. Plus, that tune shows up in a pantload of documentaries. For documentaries that want to invoke the cachet of music and/or "say something", but can't get any talking head from Chuck D, "Inner City Blues" is a frequent go-to.

Thats it, thats the one.

I know thats a well-known track even in popular music circles, but its one thats evaded me all the way through...

A case of cant see the wood for the trees I guess.

Makes me wonder if there are any huge funk collectors that have never heard sex machine.............

Thanks people.

• which version are you referring to?

It was Marvin Gaye, of all people.

• falsettoish pantload

can't see the wood

name of documentary please!

It was one about Dolly Parton........ Hmmmmmm.

But it was also on an inner city documentary about an inner city dude who was facing the stuggles of inner city life, so the track was most fitting in that case.

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    rockets, moon shots, spend it on the pants-nots