Charitystrut

pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I was very impressed with the heatrock initiative for hurricane relief.I've always been a believer in grass-roots charity work as well as random contactsThus I wanted to know if any strutters we're involved with charities or have their own. If yall need advice or are thinking of starting one holla back My friends and I started a charity with children in the shantytowns of Peru in association with a peruvian NGO. Its a great story but shortly we were a bunch of old friends (had all been scouts together) and we decided to help out this NGO when our friend came back from Peru. At first we did not know where to begin but we were able to mount up 8000$ now we've been running 4 years strong reaching a summum of 20000$ last year! We have our own photo expo and are getting other groups involved (im fucking adoring the developpments) goes to show good will/lucky contacts and generosity can go a long wayMore info on us here (in french) (children community center/tutors/food/vitamins/600kids/4 centers http://www.aine.scoutndg.org/http://aine.scoutndg.org/Dossier2004.pdf So post your organization and lets make the world a better place!On a record related note: if anyone is going to peru holla for community&recordson a record related joke: we could form a charity where children dig/steal rare latin and asian records and then sell them through us

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Great story.

When I met phillyhobo (tripledouble) he was working for Habitat For Humanity.

Dr Wu recently organized a charity fundraiser.

The Night Owl Record Show (Mr Delmont, Twoply, Asprin and another struter) raises some money for www.kboo.com.

Asprin has donated graphic work to Black United Front and other non-profits.

We all do what we can.

Dan

• Great thread!

Not necessarily a charity, but Laserwolf and I (unbeknownst to one another) both have experience volunteering for Oregon SMART (Start Making A Reader Today). I went in to an elementary school for one hour each week to read with a 2nd or 3rd grader. It's such a small donation of my time and energy, but is a big help for the kids. Very cool experience.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Great thread!

Not necessarily a charity, but Laserwolf and I (unbeknownst to one another) both have experience volunteering for Oregon SMART (Start Making A Reader Today). I went in to an elementary school for one hour each week to read with a 2nd or 3rd grader. It's such a small donation of my time and energy, but is a big help for the kids. Very cool experience.

Thanks for the responses good to see some struters donating time and energy for good causes. I also work locally as a soccer coach for disadvantaged kids and a tutor for refugee kids (french learning). Whether local or intl volunteeringmakes you learn so much. Very cool experience indeed.

Great thread!

I didn't know you were doing that. What school are you reading at?

• every year in houston there is a HUGE skateboard demo that benefits make-a-wish. last year i djed the after party, and this year i did it again, so did cashless. we are getting hooked up with adio gear though.

• Great thread!

Yeah you did. At the Spring Night Owl show, you told me I should start volunteering for SMART and I told you I already was. I read at Rigler Elementary up sorta near your shop.

• Options
    My family runs this: www.briansfund.com

Since 2002 we've raised and donated somewhere close to $300,000. A lot of it went to local handicapped children to purchase specialized medical equipment for them that insurance or medicaid wouldn't cover, but we've also given a large chunk to the local Cerebral Palsy center, found here ucpn.org.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    My family runs this: www.briansfund.com

Since 2002 we've raised and donated somewhere close to $300,000. A lot of it went to local handicapped children to purchase specialized medical equipment for them that insurance or medicaid wouldn't cover, but we've also given a large chunk to the local Cerebral Palsy center, found here ucpn.org.

That`s a great cause, lord knows shit can get expensive with a social program like the one in the US. How did ou amount so much $$$ all big dogs or a network, corporations?

Great thread!

Yeah you did. At the Spring Night Owl show, you told me I should start volunteering for SMART and I told you I already was. I read at Rigler Elementary up sorta near your shop.

I think I may have oldtimers disease. Yvonne seems like a great coordinator.