Can we get an official WFMU report?

drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Did it live up to the hype this year?

What heaviness was abound?

Was Musafa (sp?) slangin' raers this year?

What other dealers did you see or buy from?

Line around the block for the $20 admission early birds?

Good deals, or just overpriced madness?

What did you come up on?

Was it worth going?

Comments

• dealer wanted ten bucks a piece for "jack of spades/still number 1" for two copys...i was like nah

the atmoshpere was real chill thou,
    won a staff stunt on the spin wheel!dude did rodney dangerfield jokes...hey what can say!

never seen so many portables in one room

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

COME ON YOU LURKERS DO I HAVE TO CALL YOU OUT BY NAME? I know this was you.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    The weakest one in recent memory.

I brought big dude dollars, hoping to add two or three nice pieces to the collection, but ended up spending less than a bill.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    I had a portable. I used to have a small space age-y detonator one--that was battery operated. i took it everywhere for a few years and the needle on that one is weak now and only plays a few seconds and then loops.

but i was using a 60s portable ge one--good thing almost every table had access to a outlet--because it isn't battery operated.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i thought this one was good--but i didn't find a lot of the 12"s like i used to.

• I got a lot of good records (mostly from 1 dealer), but I didn't think the show was that amazing. No real "finds" to report as most records I paid for. The record I was happiest with was a Mulatu 45 on Addis Ababa with Sha gu, Mascaram Setaba (I haven't compared to see if they're the same as the recordings on afro-latin soul on Worthy), and two other tracks that I've never heard of. Other than that, the Little Buck 45 on Seven B and Pucho Jungle Fire were the highlights.

• coffinjoecoffinjoe 1,743 Posts
    one of the best buying shows in a while
    (for me reggae, others found heat of all styles)
    but
    my best buys were in the dealer line before noon
    there were more "dealers" making piles early early
    (over 300 ?!?)
    than ever before (or austin)
    first in a heat box scored, loads cheap
    problem is
    by the time the 4pm dudes got in 75% off the heat (miss priced or right on)
    were boxed up ready to be shipped foreign
    (dutch & kanuck buyers scored big
    gangs of japanese ballers)
    others were buying & holding to sell in their shops or bay them
    selling was weaker than last time
    (but my stock was low after austin)
    i did move a larry t, ann peebles, bullit sndtrk & earl 16 on datc
    will post photos of some show finds
    thanks to all who stopped by

• There was a lot of good stuff depending on what you were looking for. Things were better priced than other times I've been, I mean there wasn't as much overpriced things as years before (maybe I'm getting desensitized). There was a small marching band playing on Saturday afternoon which was pretty cool. Most seen record: Fever Tree "S/T," saw it at about ten tables. Most raerest was some $2,500 psych record whose name I forgot. No big comeups for me, but no rip-offs either. All in all pretty ok!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    dealer wanted ten bucks a piece for "jack of spades/still number 1" for two copys...i was like nah

the atmoshpere was real chill thou,
    won a staff stunt on the spin wheel!dude did rodney dangerfield jokes...hey what can say!

$10 bucks a piece is a good price for those Jack of Spades joints. Record shows have gone down hill for teh past few years now. I remember you used to go to these shows and find all kinds of 12" singles and LP's for decent money. Now you get there and there really ain't shit.