Diggin in Austin

SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I'm going to visit my wife's family in Austin next week. I've never been there. Anyone has suggestions on shops diggers should not miss ?I'm after jazz, brazilian music, funk, old and current local hip hop.

Comments

• nrichnrich 932 Posts
    I suggest getting in touch with the two people from this board that keep that relatively dry town dry.

Are you from France? If so, I would recommend bringing some local trades along.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    i would check out End of an Ear http://endofanear.com/main.html

also Antones is a worthy stop as well

waterloo just reset their vinyl section so they have a grip of dollar and two dollar bins going right now but i think its been hit pretty hard
    (convention was just down here and all the out of towners hit the shops hard)

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    yeah I know about the convention... If only i could take 4 weeks of vacation !

• pm or email me: [email]djcoolhands@hotmail.com[/email]

i'll see if I can help you out. I probably have jazz and funk to sell you.

you'll also want to visit another board member aleit and buy from him.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    Here are some stores I'd recommend, in no particular order.

Waterloo - 600 N Lamar Blvd # A, Austin, 78703 - (512) 474-2500
    Antone's - 2928 Guadalupe St, Austin, 78705 - (512) 322-0660
    Sound on Sound - 106 E North Loop Blvd, Austin, TX (512) 371-9980
    Snake Eyes Vinyl - 1211 E 7th St, Austin, TX (512) 220-7019
    End of an Ear - 2209 S 1st St, Austin, TX (512) 462-6008
    DJ Dojo - across the street from End of an Ear

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts
    Thanks to everybody for the recommendations. I wouldn't describe any city with a store like Antone's as dry ! I would add a few stores I liked :
    Music Mania, next to Fiesta supermarket, 3909 D North IH 35, if you have a couple of hours to spend browsing through tons of unorganized 45 (that's what diggin is about anyway)

Cheapo on Lamar & 10th, don't expect to find anything mint or near mint though

Piranha in Round Rock, 1208 N. IH 35, it's like 5 minutes out of Austin, but they really have a nice selection of vinyl

Half Price Books 5555 Lamar, not impressive, but i manage to find a couple of early 80's british pop I was after.

• Thanks to everybody for the recommendations. I wouldn't describe any city with a store like Antone's as dry ! I would add a few stores I liked :
    Music Mania, next to Fiesta supermarket, 3909 D North IH 35, if you have a couple of hours to spend browsing through tons of unorganized 45 (that's what diggin is about anyway)

Piranha in Round Rock, 1208 N. IH 35, it's like 5 minutes out of Austin, but they really have a nice selection of vinyl

Half Price Books 5555 Lamar, not impressive, but i manage to find a couple of early 80's british pop I was after.

Plus, MusicMania has your hook-up for screw tapes and southern hiphop mixes.

Sounds like I need to make a trek to Williamson County. Look out for the cops!

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    Thanks to everybody for the recommendations. I wouldn't describe any city with a store like Antone's as dry ! I would add a few stores I liked :

Sounds like I need to make a trek to Williamson County. Look out for the cops!

travis county holmes

• yeah, i stay in travis county. was talkin bout that pirannha shop he mentioned in RR/WilCo.

• hobo_dhobo_d 331 Posts
    damn

ahahah

idiot alert on myself

this is what happens when yr shift starts at 5am

• SLurgSLurg 446 Posts

Yeah, they have a nice collection of Z Ro albums !

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone digging out any 45s that were worth anything out of there. Anyone on here have any luck in there?

• waste of your time bill.

• pointmanpointman 1,042 Posts

I haven't heard of anyone digging out any 45s that were worth anything out of there. Anyone on here have any luck in there?

Many a year ago... yes I did.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    waste of your time bill.