how do you carve out your beats (EQR)

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
You know how easy it is to get all muddy between the kick and the bass. Do anybody eq the fuck out their shit to get it all nice and clear or do you mash it up raw and move on?

I don't know if what I'm doing is wrong but it seems to work for me. Feel free to add on if you have a better way.

On the kick, boost a little around 60Hz and cut a bit around 100-110Hz. I do the opposite with the bass. Cut a little at 60Hz and boost a bit at 100-110HZ. Then I can hear each a little more distinctly.

It seems right because It brings out the bass a little more in shitty speakers and makes the kick really thump on the low end in the club. What do you think? Works for me.

I need to work on my mids and hi's game. It's always guesswork and earwork, which is OK because it's best to go with what sounds good to the ear over rules. All sound is not created equal.

Comments

• kennykenny 1,024 Posts
    i EQ them.

like i'd sample the break with low-boost and the mid and highs readjusted...first

then sample the break again with the lows cut off and the mids and highs...i feel the snares sounds better that way

then find the nice clear bits of both the kicks and snares and go from there

but usually, i need to do some extra work after i ran those into my production gear, like boost up the snare a little more..

the thing is I always keep having troubles with my drums being too loud to other people...but to me they sound just fine, like real snappy...but many people told me your drums are too loud!

that irritates me a bit

• I like your plan for lows.

yeah mid-hi's seems mostly like 'whatever sounds right.' But it seems in general, anything supposed to be in the hi's needs a hi pass filter. and anything in the mids is just gonna be complicated, just sweep a boost slowly and find the kosher and unkosher freqs.

What monitors do you use? I have krk v8's, and they have crazy precision, but they don't emulate regular listening environments or club environments. I always have to take the mix somewhere else and listen.

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    dont go crazy on the filters, eq's and plug ins if its not sounding right to begin with. Its probably something to do with the sounds you are using. If you are chopping up drums make sure you sampled them clean and eq each hit before you start messing with them together. Make sure theres not alot of hiss running after the sounds. Run envelope filters on each hit to make sure its all clean. You can add the reverb back in later.