Records in Europe

sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
This probably has been dealt with in a thread before, but I wanted to bring it up again...why the hell had some of the European pressings a different cover? Even in different European countries? I mean, it is no big deal, but was there a general policy with some labels, or was it a more random decision thing? Anyone has some knowledge to drop on how in those times this was done? Examples:The German (European?) Cover :andOriginal USI mean, probably some European dude thought, hm, let's make the letters smaller, so we can see that vulcano in the back a bit more. Was this due to design/aesthetics, or did someone just justify his existence within the company with this customization?Another exampleDutch PressingandOriginal frenchWell, since Philips is a Dutch company, maybe they wanted their logo a bit bigger in Holland. But why the hell did stuff like this happen? Also, the thing with Blue Note Records in Europe. Many a times I found a nice LP with an OG American cover, however the record was a German pressing. It's understandable, probably they only shipped the covers and not all of the records due to weight. But that still puzzles me, like was there a General policy as well? Or was it a more random thing? Please add some of your own findings and/or explanations...thanx in advance, Strutters!!!!

Comments

• and another example

us:

euro:

• sticky_dojahsticky_dojah New York City. 2,136 Posts
    and another example

us:

euro:

Parental advisory anyone? Tits and Twintowers on one cover....remember when that came out...