record fair

sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
just got back and it was packed. line down the block for early admission. lots of soul and jazz. unfortunately for me there was no brazilian to be found, except one table that had a few nice titles but they were scratched for shit and still $100. A table by the front had some really nice jazz boxes, all blue notes (not the originals but still solid heavy duty 60's issues). And lots of Japanese collectors with suitcases for records and floor plans that they were checking off which tables they had been to.

Comments

• shitzrshitzr 648 Posts
    ...floor plans that they were checking off which tables they had been to.

holy crap.

• ...floor plans that they were checking off which tables they had been to.

holy crap.

• ...floor plans that they were checking off which tables they had been to.

My favorite story is when Beni B got to a swap meet in LA all extra early, like 4:00 am to get a 1st look at the what dealers had & in turn get a leg up on the buying competition.
    So he gets there and it's pitch dark out still. Dealers are just getting there and setting up.
    He starts to notice illuminating flashlights all over the place. Probably more than a dozen.
    Then all of a sudden he hears someone blowing a whistle.
    All the flashlights immediately converge to the where the sound of the whistle is coming from.
    Turns out it was a whole crew of Japanese collectors who got there even earlier and had this whole system worked out to where the whole crew splits up and spreads out.
    When someone finds a dealer with heat or such, they blow the whistle, the crew comes running and they collectively clean dude out of whatever heat dude has.

indeed.

(just a note: Now that I think about it, perhaps it wasn't Beni B but maybe Soulman?)

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    aight so is it gonna be a line around the block to get in the whole weekend?

is there any reason for a little dude to go or are all the records like $100 raer private press shhh steelo?

I'm supposed to go tomorrow but I feel like I might as well go hit up any other record store. I aint been diggin much since I got to nyc.

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i went tonight (friday 7-10pm) and had little to no funds to spend so my experience wasn't the greatest...that being said i did pull a couple good joints on the cheap so if you got the day off and some time to kill i'd say go. be prepared to sort through a ton of dollarbin records and funk,soul,beats etc. that are priced kinda on the high side of things.

• RECORD SHOW.SATURDAY NOV.12 FIREMENS HALL 97 PARISH DR. WAYNE N.J. SHOWSANDEXPOS.COM come on down and watch the JAPS clean house. lol

• asparagusasparagus Northampton, MA 333 Posts
    lots to be found at all prices. got dollarbins through 20 dollar pieces. Tons of funk/soul/jazz, way too much to take in at one sitting.

• DWGDWG 334 Posts
    I've never been to any fairs in the US - every time I'm in NYC, I seem to miss one by a week or something annoying.
    What, generally, are they like for hip-hop? Is it a case (as in London - other than the black music fairs) of 400 tables and 3 guys with a box of 'black dance music/rap/electro'? Or is there usually a few people with some good stuff?

I've had luck maybe 20% of the times I've gone to the mainstream record fairs over here in the UK, even if I do get in for the early admission.

• I think they have about 15 vendors and the place gets packed.Im not sure what type of beats your into but the place works for me.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    ...floor plans that they were checking off which tables they had been to.

My favorite story is when Beni B got to a swap meet in LA all extra early, like 4:00 am to get a 1st look at the what dealers had & in turn get a leg up on the buying competition.
    So he gets there and it's pitch dark out still. Dealers are just getting there and setting up.
    He starts to notice illuminating flashlights all over the place. Probably more than a dozen.
    Then all of a sudden he hears someone blowing a whistle.
    All the flashlights immediately converge to the where the sound of the whistle is coming from.
    Turns out it was a whole crew of Japanese collectors who got there even earlier and had this whole system worked out to where the whole crew splits up and spreads out.
    When someone finds a dealer with heat or such, they blow the whistle, the crew comes running and they collectively clean dude out of whatever heat dude has.

indeed.

(just a note: Now that I think about it, perhaps it wasn't Beni B but maybe Soulman?)

sounds like PCC