Advice on TM

street_muzikstreet_muzik 3,919 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
One of my dreams has been to open a record shop which I'm sure is not raer around here but my question pertains to tradmarking ot copywriting my name. I've had an idea for a name for over 10 years and i think i ought to get it protected before someone vicks it.Is this an easy process or do i need a lawyer. I did do a search and found the name had been trademarked in 1980 but abandoned in 82. What do you think? Can i use it? Is it easy/ Does it cost mega bucs? I ask here because i know there are a few of you that have shops. I don't want a step by step procrss while you hold my hand, just some basic info or a point in the right direction would suffice. ThanksTaza

Comments

• get a lawyer. Its not complicated but they will make sure your t's are crossed and your i's are dotted. One loophole could screw the whole TM process up.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    It's not expensive, but watch out for these guys

• Do I even really have to trade mark the name or can I just start my LLC as long as no others are using the name? Maybe I'm confused. Is trademarking for the combination of words, or logos? Sorry, I'm pretty naive with the law. I've always done my business on the street or under the table. This has got to be legit.

Oh, and trust me. I'm not going to act on or get all my info from a message board. A lawyer is a must, but since cats here know the deal then i can get a head start. Lawyers cost $$$$. I'll do as much on my own as possible.