Rep your local underground hip hop...

chasechase 767 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
In my travels across the country I have witnessed alot of local underground hip hop people putting out some very solid material. Some of my favorite CDs are from artists you have never heard of. Im trying to get together a bunch of high quality local hip hop from all over the country/world whether it be cds, mp3s, vinyl, or badly dubbed cassettes.. and put an online radio show/ podcast together, to maybe put some of this music out to the masses. Sure it may be a drop in the pail, but hey we all have our passions. I have seen alot of "underground" radio shows, but not to many focusing on unsigned, basicly local artists. So any help you guys can give me, would be greatly apprishated. I know we have a lot of producers here who are working with artists and are heavily involved in there local hip hop scene. If you could give me:websitesemail addressmyspace profilesphone #s etc. Thanks everybody..

Comments

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    hhhmmm.......you dont want to know.

• www.hiphopcolumbus.com

Columbus, OH aint no joke.

Check for : Meta4ce Omega- True Hollywood Storie EP

Jakki the Motamouth- God Vs. Satan (Now on Babygrande Records)

Flip The Early Riser- Times Runnin out

Racist Joe

Spitball- Welcome to Spittsville.

DJ Bombay (Omegha Watts)

Thought Set

Zero - The Problem Child EP

Lone Catalysts (J.Rawls)

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    TOP 3 AUSTALIAN HIP-HOP ARTISTS, they're the only ones I really find myself listening to...

1. LYRICAL COMMISSION (MELBOURNE)
    2. PROWLA (MELBOURNE)
    3. DELTA (ADELAIDE)

peace.

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

Rude Poets and LSD - Cologne old school legends!

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    SouthernCaliWestCoastBangers:

Fresh Air
    Longevity Crew
    Jeshno
    Jupitersciples

I'm sure there's more - I'll try to round up another batch...
    All on myspace - just do the www.myspace.com/AddGroupNameHere

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    In my travels across the country I have witnessed alot of local underground hip hop people putting out some very solid material. Some of my favorite CDs are from artists you have never heard of.

Im trying to get together a bunch of high quality local hip hop from all over the country/world whether it be cds, mp3s, vinyl, or badly dubbed cassettes.. and put an online radio show/ podcast together, to maybe put some of this music out to the masses. Sure it may be a drop in the pail, but hey we all have our passions. I have seen alot of "underground" radio shows, but not to many focusing on unsigned, basicly local artists.
    http://www.underworldradio.com

• yo big ups for checking for starving struggling artists! i can send you wax and cd's.

[plug 2] www.myspace.com/jupitersciples [/plug 2]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    hhhmmm.......you dont want to know.

Flint Rap?!?!

got your package homie

• BreakSelfBreakSelf 2,925 Posts
    Not sure if I should be the one to chime in and laud the good folks over at www.galapagos4.com, but they have some serious talent on the label. Chicago's been cultivating a really strong underground scene for a minute now, even if the politics of the business down there are a little nutty.

Meaty can fill you in on the rest.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    In the Bay we got a lot of local cats. Some of the ones I like on the independant tip...

Kero One
    Crown City Rockers
    Co Deez
    Nac One
    Fanatik
    Zion I

• Silent Lambs Project. 206 fo sho

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    Here is a taste of some local stuff I have on my computer at the moment, this track is maybe a couple years old now but I still kinda think it's cool.
    Deceptikonz ft.P-Money - Fallen Angels

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts

Kero One

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Euphrates
    Montreal, excellent production and good rhyming (iraqi immortal technique type material)
    http://www.euphrates.ca/

• Damn thought about posting this exact topic while listening to one of my tapes on the freeway.

• haze25haze25 759 Posts
    maspyke out of springfield,ma- many dope 12"s,ep's and lp's including the new one on ABB records.

aeroblack out of worcester,ma made a song called "deep breath" which is a top 20 all time hip hop favorite of mine.

dj shame(out of my hometown southbridge,ma) and the vinyl reanimators are in the early stages of working on a new instrumental album.for thoes in the know they we're dope and continue to be dope.

dj cutz-ill producer and cat who showed me the production game.......did a remix for the latest single by.....

l the headtoucha out of worcester,ma- dropped a dud of an album but the too complex 12" still gets plenty of play round here

cyrus out of worcester,ma- produced joints on that god awful perceptonists album, has a lot of heat on some beat cd's i've heard.

the usual suspects and acts everyone should know.

krumbsnatcha
    mr. lif
    reks
    virtuoso
    akrobatik

• Big cosign on Co-Deez

www.hellarecords.com

and full support for Kero One and Niamaj too, those folks are making quality stuff.

http://www.pluglabel.com/

Probably one of the best current underground rappers in the Bay is Eddie K. Dude is fucking murdering shit right now. Homie got styles, from terphie shit, to underground to some raw old school west coast flavor. Anyone claiming to be down with this new bay rap stuff should be checking for catdog, straight up. Peep serge's blog about homie, keep in mind dude has probably cut like 50 tunes since this was written.

Beer And Rap on Eddie K

Up and coming in Frisco: MC Conceit

• I really like the Optimen from Brisbane, you can hear some of their music here:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=352097

Peace!

James

PS they got an album coming out available from checkoutwax.com

• www.hiphopcolumbus.com

Columbus, OH aint no joke.

Back about 10 years ago there was a decent group out of Columbus called the Poets Of Heresy that I bought a tape by. I thought it was pretty good really. I was going to The Recording Workshop in Chillicothe at the time and we recorded the Poets Of Heresy for a student project. They used a live band to play the music, which was kind of unique at the time. It was around the same time groups like Spearhead and Digable Planets were coming out using the live band thing. I honestly was kind of naive to contemporary hiphop at the time but I liked that album.

Anyway, that's the only rap group I know of from Columbus, and I know they're long extinct now.

• procussions
    giant panda
    fat-hed
    peace, stein. . .

• Oh yeah, I forgot... Do the Cunninlynguists count as underground? Because they're from around here (or rather, they currently reside here). I guess they're underground.

• Oh yeah, I forgot... Do the Cunninlynguists count as underground? Because they're from around here (or rather, they currently reside here). I guess they're underground.
    yeah they count. if were gonna be truthful to most of the world DILATED is an underground group. peace, stein. . .

• spcspc 534 Posts

Rude Poets and LSD - Cologne old school legends!

Word! Don't forget that STF stuff!
    And a double to the KINGPIN, wherever he is !

Mannheim old school legends:

Knightz of Bass

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    some of my indiana folls!

nearest nova the dude sankofa

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    maspyke out of springfield,ma- many dope 12"s,ep's and lp's including the new one on ABB records.

the new record is disappointing - but their 12s are solid. especially this one: