Please VOTE! November 8th. NO on 74!

jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
edited November 2005 in Announcements
proposition 74 would increase the years teachers need to attain tenure from 2 to 5yrs. its an unnceccessary proposition that attacks good teachers when arnold should be concentrating on solving bigger education issues such as: overcrowded classrooms, lack of textbooks, lack of programs, cutting of teacher support programs, etc. being a new teacher in california is demanding enough with many obstacles to try and teach our kids. increasing the amt of years to attain tenure does not leave teachers with any job security. because of budget cuts many teachers are in this position every year regardless... tenure is almost irrelevant. being a probationary teacher leaves you the first to be pink slipped every year. if this passes that means that new teachers will have five years of lay-offs to deal with and who in their right mind would want to join a profession who keeps you on probationary status for five years? this proposition turns away good teachers and will make good teachers leave due to lack of job security. plus the wife just got her tenure and it would become retroactive and take it away from her.

Comments

• Thanks for posting this Jinx.

All very true.

Teachers were being handed pink slips like crazy last year due to budget problems and that was WITH tenure. I'd hate to think of what it would be like without tenure.

• proposition 74 would increase the years teachers need to attain tenure from 2 to 5yrs. its an unnceccessary proposition that attacks good teachers when arnold should be concentrating on solving bigger education issues such as: overcrowded classrooms, lack of textbooks, lack of programs, cutting of teacher support programs, etc.

being a new teacher in california is demanding enough with many obstacles to try and teach our kids. increasing the amt of years to attain tenure does not leave teachers with any job security. because of budget cuts many teachers are in this position every year regardless... tenure is almost irrelevant. being a probationary teacher leaves you the first to be pink slipped every year. if this passes that means that new teachers will have five years of lay-offs to deal with and who in their right mind would want to join a profession who keeps you on probationary status for five years?

this proposition turns away good teachers and will make good teachers leave due to lack of job security.

plus the wife just got her tenure and it would become retroactive and take it away from her.

Can't vote in Cali but I am mos def with you in spirit. Fuck the Republicans and their anti-teacher bullshit. I guess they know what an educated population will do with them....

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Arnold is gonna be handed his ass on a plate after this election... I'm pretty sure all his propositions are going down... Gotta get out and vote, to make sure!

His popularity is already less than Gray Davis' was before the recall.

• Arnold is gonna be handed his ass on a plate after this election... I'm pretty sure all his propositions are going down... Gotta get out and vote, to make sure!

His popularity is already less than Gray Davis' was before the recall.

I hope so too! I even got out on the streets with a bunch of teachers waving signs at cars.

And if anyone lives in Daly City pm me about voting for school board...if you think state politics are fucked up take a look at city politics.

• djstefdjstef 534 Posts
    74 has my NO vote.