Which is the funkiest town?

BeatdaddyBeatdaddy 22 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
My wife has job offers in San Francisco and Torronto (we live in the UK at present), she's considering which job is better, I'm considering quality of life with respect to clubs and record shopping before I make my suggestion of which place to go. I guess west coast will be better for records and east coast will be better for music/clubs/events, am I wrong? East or West?

Comments

• I would say Frisco but I never been there, so I really don't know ......

• I've never been to Torranto, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say SF. That place has a natural funk on many levels. Torranto doesn't sound funky.

What the fuck does any of this mean? Funky town?

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    I'd say T.Dot. My friends travel from Detroit to get there to dig like twice a year. Also, you're hours away from New York and other East coast states.
    Then San Francisco is in the U.S. and naturally that's cooler than being in Canada. LOL j/k.

Toronto is also cold in the winter/fall. If you don't like cold weather, then... it's a wrap - San Fran.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts
    However it expensive it may be, Toronto is still signigicantly cheaper than SF.

• Options
    IT's Toronto, and I guess it depends on what your definition of funky is.

If this or that is funky to you, I think we could take San Fran out no probs. Diversity of both music and greater culture would be no contest as well.

Music nights? I didn't really go out when I was in San Fran, so I can only be a judge of Toronto (which I should be a very good judge of as I deal records for a living and know every vintage-buying DJ in town - it's my job).

Weather - they'd take us out, but your coming from Dartmoor, so Toronto would already seem an improvement.

IF there's a country/culture in the world, it's a good bet they have a large contingent in our city.

If you have any further questions, feel free to PM me.

Kevin in Canada.

• Options

Toronto is also cold in the winter/fall.

It was 20 degrees Celcius on Sunday.

K.

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Only been to San Francisco once and although it was a great holiday it did seem slightly parochial compared to Toronto which I go to on a regular basis. Toronto's great for digging, clubs, bars, restaurants and culture in general (much closer to London, too) but whatever those Canadians say I'm not sure I could handle the winters. That said, I may well move there next year...

For the record: I miss Toronto.

• Options
    1 horse town got you down, Dan?

K.

• jinx74jinx74 2,287 Posts
    i dont think toronto is a better music city. other than that statement all the canada kev statements sound right...

plus its too damn expensive to live here and our school systems suck. fuck san francisco, go to canada.

• i dont think toronto is a better music city. other than that statement all the canada kev statements sound right...

plus its too damn expensive to live here and our school systems suck. fuck san francisco, go to canada.

I have to say, SF doesn't really have a huge reggae vinyl situation (although I score nice US and Can presses when I'm out there, but no quantity)... but from everything I hear and see the American music picture (ie rock, soul, funk, jazz) is better. Now this is in terms of what you can score on a daily basis, no disrespect to K's 63rd St Microgrooves!

SF/Oakland is a big hub for funk, soul, rock, and jazz. Don't get it twitted. The hip-hop, I'd assume, is better from a late 80s-90s perspective. I prefer the scenery too but I was born there.

• Options
    I knew this would get your dander up,Jinx.

What's your definition of better music city? What type of music do you like? Old? New? Live? and sassy?

K in Canada.

I knew this would get your dander up,Jinx.

What's your definition of better music city? What type of music do you like? Old? New? Live? and sassy?

you know that the only time ive ever been able to hear a song that youve recorded was when you email it to me... i have no idea what any song youve ever posted on this board sounded like. maybe once or twice if i wasnt at home but really... i dont have a clue as to what youve been showing off. im sad by this...

well, im thinking the music thats been in the bay area for a LONG time. jazz, blues, gospel, rock, psych, funk, soul, etc.

i like old and new music. theres a small scene here in the bay of some good soul and funk musicians that ive heard. some real nice rock bands as well. irish bands at the blackthorn tavern FUCKING ROCK!.. and there is a nice yet smallish reggae scene out here as well. mostly dirty white kids but still...

...and yeah dude theres some awesome live shows out here... been happening for decades!

and really kev... if its not ghey and sassy... WHY LISTEN TO IT!!!?!!!?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    what kinds of things do you guys like to do? do you want a big change or something familiar? Toronto is not unlike the UK in a lot of ways and it???s home to many music-minded British ex-pats if that means anything to you.

how do you feel about living under Bush???s rule? what aspects of quality of life are you concerned about? If you???ve got dough ??? both cities will be very good to you, without a lot of dough, Toronto will be easier. your pound will go that much further with the Can$.

if it comes down just to the music and nightlife ??? I really don???t think SF and Toronto are that far off from each other for what they can offer.

• Options
    Duckworth's Fish & Chips
    2638 Danforth Avenue
    Toronto, ON

• IT's Toronto, and I guess it depends on what your definition of funky is.

• aleitaleit 1,915 Posts
    OR

Nigeria or Toronto? i got lost here.

• Options
    Found in Toronto. Got your bearings now?

K.

if were talking about what records weve FOUND then dude... we could be here until the end of the YEAR! haha...

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    this is could get ugly.

beatdaddy - move to toronto cause it's cheaper and then go to SF every other month with all the money you've saved. best of both worlds.

• go to toronto.

• Options
    I was simply combating the crappy Greek record above. Yeah, that records found thread would be approachig infinite.

K.

okay so lets agree that its cheaper to live in canada and that both towns have good music...

i will say that san francisco is extremely beautiful and the surrounding areas are as nice. forests, mountains, desert, snow, etc... all within 4hrs of driving from SF.

wait... kev... are we battling for new buyers or helping someone find a new home?

Go back to Texas, punk.

• Options
    all within 4hrs of driving from Toronto

K.

• Options

Go back to Texas, punk.

Yeah, before you get your jersey pulled over your head.

K.

• gambitgambit 906 Posts
    all within 4hrs of driving from Toronto

K.
    Yep!

• Tough call. Two of my favorite North American cities. Both places have lots of records (in stores and "in the wild"), diverse populations with great restaurants to go with it, and are pretty liberal compared to other big cities in the US and Canada. San Francisco is probably prettier but one earthquake could change that quickly. Neither place is cheap but both are survivable. Weather is better in SF, crime is lower in Toronto. Flip a loonie!

• Gotta make a move to a
    Town that's right for me
    Town to keep me movin'
    Keep me groovin' with some energy

Well, I talk about it
    Talk about it
    Talk about it
    Talk about it
    Talk about, Talk about
    Talk about movin

Gotta move on
    Gotta move on