Chong calls Cheech a "professional Mexican"

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/gossip/sto...1p-296015c.htmlCheech & Chong blowin' smoke in each other's faceCheech and Chong - can't they get along?Apparently not.Tommy Chong recently labeled his former comedy partner, Richard (Cheech) Marin, a "sellout" and a "professional Mexican."The 59-year-old Marin retorted to Lowdown: "Gramps is a little old. It's so sad when stoners get to the AARP age, you know? Who knows what's on Tommy's mind! It's the Alzheimer's age."Chong, who's 67, is promoting his new documentary, "a/k/a Tommy Chong," about his 2003 arrest and nine-month jail term for selling drug paraphernalia online."I just saw Cheech in a Target ad," Chong told an interviewer. "He's a little removed from the stoner humor. He's a professional Mexican now."Cheech responded: "He called a couple weeks ago when he asked me to do a project with him. I didn't take the call. I was just busy being a professional Mexican."

Comments

• oh man

comedy beefs = ?

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Is Cheech disconnected from the streets?

• Chong is 67? fuck, he looks pretty good for almost being a septugenarian. shit, that means he was almost 30 when he was in Bobby Taylor and the Vancouvers.

• I tend to side with Chong on isues of post-Cheech & Chong "authenticity". I believe that Cheech's "Nash Bridges" experience wiped away any lingering coolness he might have had (Don Johnson'll do that...)

• I tend to side with Chong on isues of post-Cheech & Chong "authenticity". I believe that Cheech's "Nash Bridges" experience wiped away any lingering coolness he might have had (Don Johnson'll do that...)

co-sign

• When my dad was my age he took a this girl he was dating to a cheech and chong show in philly. They were right in the front row at the show. My dad said they made it really clear they didnt want any flash pictures taken at the show, but this girl he was with brought a camera and decided it was a good idea to take some pictures. It was not a good idea and my dad told her this, but she did it anyway. Well Cheech and Chong were not happy and they showed her how unhappy they were by pissing on her from the stage. My dad made her find her own ride home from the show.

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Well Cheech and Chong were not happy and they showed her how unhappy they were by pissing on her from the stage.

Perhaps a young, imressionable R. Kelly was in attendence that night?

Well Cheech and Chong were not happy and they showed her how unhappy they were by pissing on her from the stage.

• Operation pipe dream not only put Chong in the big house, it all so shut down all the head shops in Pittsburgh. Thankfully I already got my Tommy Chong signature pro model before the bust.

• This seems like one of those threads that may die before its time. Pissing Cheech & Chong + R. Kelly humor is

What more can be said after that?

• Well Cheech and Chong were not happy and they showed her how unhappy they were by pissing on her from the stage.

"Is R. Kelly Trapped in the Closet???"

"R. Kelly's not here maaaaannnnn..."[/b]

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    how does one act like a professional Mexican.

Peeing on the audience during a comedy show is mos def

• Peeing on the audience during a comedy show is mos def

My dad has had several brain injuries since this happend, but he tells the story like it happend yesterday.

• how does one act like a professional Mexican.
    I think he's trying to say he is a cash cow sell out hawking his ethnicity to the highest bidder. He's a "token" for hire...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    how does one act like a professional Mexican.
    I think he's trying to say he is a cash cow sell out hawking his ethnicity to the highest bidder. He's a "token" for hire...

oh ok, I thnk thats a bad argument cause dude has left the stoner mexican typecast he was stuk in and branched out. More than what can be said for Chong who's still playing the same characters he was doing in the late 70's

• how does one act like a professional Mexican.

oh ok, I thnk thats a bad argument cause dude has left the stoner mexican typecast he was stuk in and branched out. More than what can be said for Chong who's still playing the same characters he was doing in the late 70's

Cheech did not "branch out". He traded one stereotype (albeit a slightly edgy one) for another. He is now a "nice" Mexican, safe for prime time consumption. I think maybe that's what's got Chong's patchouli boiling...

• knewjakknewjak 1,231 Posts
    This beef has been going on for a minute now. Chong has been wanting to do another 'cheech and chong' movie for years, but Cheech doesnt want anything to do with it now that he is a 'family man'. This pisses Chong off since its probally the only way he would ever see any money/fame in the future.

• Cheech down Chong up

• He traded one stereotype (albeit a slightly edgy one) for another. He is now a "nice" Mexican, safe for prime time consumption.
    BINGO!

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts

Cheech did not "branch out". He traded one stereotype (albeit a slightly edgy one) for another. He is now a "nice" Mexican, safe for prime time consumption. I think maybe that's what's got Chong's patchouli boiling...

Cheech definitely rocks that style, but not all the time. He has been keeping it pretty clean for a while now, and I can believe that part of the beef is him not wanting to do the C&C act again, while Chong still does. Makes sense to me. I think Tommy Chong is dude, but I have seen him pull some pretty NAGL cash-ins on the Chong persona...

• Cheech did not "branch out". He traded one stereotype (albeit a slightly edgy one) for another. He is now a "nice" Mexican, safe for prime time consumption. I think maybe that's what's got Chong's patchouli boiling...

Cheech definitely rocks that style, but not all the time. He has been keeping it pretty clean for a while now, and I can believe that part of the beef is him not wanting to do the C&C act again, while Chong still does. Makes sense to me. I think Tommy Chong is dude, but I have seen him pull some pretty NAGL cash-ins on the Chong persona...

Like his character on 'That 70's Show'? The sad thing is, Chong does not appear to have another "character" in him, i.e. the movie "Chong" and the real-life "Chong" are essentially the same guy, and that one-note "character" needs the movie "Cheech" to be viable.

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    Cheech down Chong up
    ayo?

• Cheech down Chong up
    ayo?

But does your Cheech have to be down to get your Chong up????

Cheech down Chong up
    ayo?

But does your Cheech have to be down to get your Chong up????
    A HAHAHA! LMAO!!

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Whatever, they both suck, Chong is slightly more relevant, only coz he's a celeb who got witch hunted.

But WHOOP WHOOP this move be BAAAAAADDDDD!

Like his character on 'That 70's Show'?

I have to admit, I have never seen that show - at least, not when he was on it.
    An even further confession of far more damaging proportions: I have seen Nash Bridges, if only briefly, and I don't remember his character on there being some kind of played-up stereotype.

And if I get on that point, it just means somebody watches more Nash Bridges than I.

I have seen him in other shows and movies, though, where the "beaner" routine was nowhere in sight, I swear.

that one-note "character" needs the movie "Cheech" to be viable

Absolutely.

• Whatever, they both suck, Chong is slightly more relevant, only coz he's a celeb who got witch hunted.

But WHOOP WHOOP this move be BAAAAAADDDDD!

But in a GOOOOOOOOD way!

• Like his character on 'That 70's Show'?

An even further confession of far more damaging proportions: I have seen Nash Bridges, if only briefly, and I don't remember his character on there being some kind of played-up stereotype.

And if I get on that point, it just means somebody watches more Nash Bridges than I.

I have seen him in other shows and movies, though, where the "beaner" routine was nowhere in sight, I swear.

Absolutely.

Chong is/was on 'That 70's Show'.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

Like his character on 'That 70's Show'?

Absolutely.

Chong is/was on 'That 70's Show'.

Not any more.... you'll never guess why they fired him!

I should have quit while I was ahead.