Can anyone recommend a good mix CD?

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I've been trying to find a good one with good song selection and actual mixing but no luck. Can anyone hook me up with some good Hiphop mix CD titles that aren't jiggy or gansta albums but actually have a DJ mixing records? Hook me up.

Comments

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts
    dyou have mixmaster mike - spin psycle?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    No no Mixmaster Mike. I'm not looking for a battle style Mix CD, I'm looking for just a good Mix CD that I can vibe to.

tom thumz - medium rare
    dj day - credit is due

No no Mixmaster Mike. I'm not looking for a battle style Mix CD, I'm looking for just a good Mix CD that I can vibe to.

d-d-d-do you like sc-sc-scratching?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Can you tell me what those are like?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I like scratching but not a whole hour of scratching various sound effects and shit. I'm looking for a Mix CD with blending and cutting. Is there anything like that out there anymore?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    peep the front page cuzin

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    is there a certain era of hiphop you're into the most? i like neil armstrongs mixes, dj day's mix is dope as well. no yelling involved and no overkill on scratching.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I like that 90's Hiphop shit but I'd like a combination of dope 90's cuts and dope independant shit. Like you said a good Mix CD with zero yelling and scratch or back cue juggling overkill. So Day has one like this?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    That King Most CD sounds good. Thanks.

http://www.funkweapons.com/mediumrare.html

Day's has a lot of funk too.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Although Funk CDs are dope I'm not looking for those at the moment.I'm looking for good Hiphop mixes. Preferably ones without common shit like Humpty Dance and Me Myself And I ya know. I just want some dope shit. Beatnuts, Oganized Konfusion, Diamond D, Pet Rock, Large pro, Earl, Kevin Brown, Mitsu, Procussions, Sound Providers, Ugly Duckling, People Under The Stairs, Lord Finesse, DITC, Gangstarr....

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Although Funk CDs are dope I'm not looking for those at the moment.I'm looking for good Hiphop mixes. Preferably ones without common shit like Humpty Dance and Me Myself And I ya know. I just want some dope shit. Beatnuts, Oganized Konfusion, Diamond D, Pet Rock, Large pro, Earl, Kevin Brown, Mitsu, Procussions, Sound Providers, Ugly Duckling, People Under The Stairs, Lord Finesse, DITC, Gangstarr....

Go with the King Most.... Also, are you looking to rock it in the car, listen at work, mp3 player???

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Car, work, headphones...Where can I get that King Most CD in the Bay Area?

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    Car, work, headphones...Where can I get that King Most CD in the Bay Area?

Young Phonics where you at?

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I'm in the East Bay

• DJ Skipmode from the illvibe Collective in Philly has definitely got the sauce. Hit these dudes up and you will definitely get what you are looking for.

peas.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Illvibe Collective looks liek they have some good CDs. They're probably not available in stores though.

• why do you want to buy them in stores? To get the real shit you gotta get subterranean mayne.

also, if you want some mixes to download check this site out too.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Well it's easier for me to just gpo to the store to pick these up. And if its' wack I can just take it back with no hassles. That's why. You never know with mixes.

• That King Most CD sounds good. Thanks.

That KingMost CD *is* really good. Really dope cuts on it, too. Who did the scratching?

And seriously, Day's Breakz4Dayz CD totally fits the bill of what you're looking for. Don't be scurred off by the funk cuts on it; they're perfectly blended with exactly the kind of hip-hop you described above.

• I've been trying to find a good one with good song selection and actual mixing but no luck. Can anyone hook me up with some good Hiphop mix CD titles that aren't jiggy or gansta albums but actually have a DJ mixing records? Hook me up.

http://www.djenki.com

http://www.beatjunkies.com (not sure if they sell it on their site, try ebay.com for it maybe?)

Both of these are

• Car, work, headphones...Where can I get that King Most CD in the Bay Area?

Young Phonics where you at?

here

P:

You should be still be able to get 'em from Amoeba in Berkley and B-Sides. I did a good sized re-stock at the Amoeba.

thanks for the mentions y'all.

and big co-sign on the "Blendapella" mix-cd.

• Although Funk CDs are dope I'm not looking for those at the moment.I'm looking for good Hiphop mixes.

The J-Rocc I mentioned above isn't hip-hop music but still an awesome mix.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

And seriously, Day's Breakz4Dayz CD totally fits the bill of what you're looking for. Don't be scurred off by the funk cuts on it; they're perfectly blended with exactly the kind of hip-hop you described above.

what is this breakz4dayz cd? i was talkin bout the credit is due mix.

• Although Funk CDs are dope I'm not looking for those at the moment.I'm looking for good Hiphop mixes. Preferably ones without common shit like Humpty Dance and Me Myself And I ya know. I just want some dope shit. Beatnuts, Oganized Konfusion, Diamond D, Pet Rock, Large pro, Earl, Kevin Brown, Mitsu, Procussions, Sound Providers, Ugly Duckling, People Under The Stairs, Lord Finesse, DITC, Gangstarr....

this link probably still works. its a year old mix i did. lots of people here have already heard it but maybe you haven't. bout 45 minutes long.

download here:
    http://www.lowerlifeform.com/sounds/JKnowledge/Layers.mp3

stream here:
    http://www.lowerlifeform.com/sounds/JKnowledge/Layers.m3u

its basically one big long stream of remixes, my own. in fact the only place where theres just one beat playing is the biz interlude. this should be right up your alley if you enjoy remixes and blends.
    enjoy!

tracklist:
    1.Sad And Blue-Funkmaster Flex w/Godfather Don
    2.I Know You Got Soul(ante up remix)-Rakim
    3.Labels-GZA w/ Beatnuts, The ARE, Camp Lo
    4.DAAAM-The Liks w/ Buckwild, Beatnuts
    5.Quiet Storm-Mobb Deep w/Godfather Don
    6.Shake Ya Ass!!-Mystikal w/ Neptunes
    7.Grindin On the Run-Kool G Rap w/ Neptunes, Big L, DJ Premier
    8.Paper Thin(hypnotize remix)-Mc Lyte
    9.Daytona 500-Raekwon w/Timbaland
    10.Interlude-w/Alchemist,P.A.,Whodini
    11.Get Involved(survival remix)- Q-Tip & R.Saadiq w/Mobb Deep
    12.People Get Ready (to light it up)-Ayatollah > w/Nicolay
    13.Light It Up pt.2-Nicolay w/J-Live
    14.Dirt Off Your A.D.I.D.A.S-Killer Mike w/Timbaland
    15.Just An Interlude-Biz Markie
    16.BeeDeePee Symphony-The Verve w/BoogieDownProductions
    17.Flava In Ya Ear-Notorious Biggie Smalls w/Jel
    18.Native Tongue Tied-(Tribe/Reflection Eternal/Mos Def/Ummah)
    19.Gameplan:Lean Back-Lord Finesse w/ Scott Storch
    20.Got It Twisted On Fascination St.-Mobb Deep w/The Cure

• And seriously, Day's Breakz4Dayz CD totally fits the bill of what you're looking for. Don't be scurred off by the funk cuts on it; they're perfectly blended with exactly the kind of hip-hop you described above.

what is this breakz4dayz cd? i was talkin bout the credit is due mix.

Doh! You are correct.

And credit is overdue.

• pretty much any mix by DJ Spair.

check for him @

oaklandfaders

• here's my mix from 2 years ago. i'm gonna start a brand new one later this month. blammo.

"Inventiveness in one way or another, a dedication to the old days of complex mixtape construction and track selections par excellence. The title "cut and paste" is such a loaded phrase these days, meaning different things to a lot of different people, and while I wouldn't straight away classify this CD as such, there is a hell of a lot going on. Think one of those 8 minute lesson-type sides extended out to an hour. It???s a great choice of originals matched up with snippets of the semi-obscure 80's hip hop and disco rap tracks that sampled them (not your usual stuff), smooth blending, dialogue records, and drum break doubling- all rolled up in a cohesive style of fast and clean. Nice job again Mr. 2600."

page 3 of the CDs section on http://www.turntablelab.com