Marvin + Hennessy = NAGL?

BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Dude is staring down at you from a giant billboard on Houston St. I know he died from being shot, but this still sits really badly with me.

http://www.mediaweek.com/mw/search/article_display.jsp?schema=&vnu_content_id=1000976536

>>Though Hennessy or "Henn-dog" has been heartily embraced by the hip-hop community, the brand's ads focus on more "classic" performers. "These are the artists that rappers sample from," said Dexter King, Hennessy senior brand manager. Yet recently, Hennessy has also included Rakim, known for his '80s rap records with Eric B., in the ads. "As these guys mature and prove their longevity, they become timeless too," King said.

Fuck em.... wow, I just remembered I got called in to cast for a Henny ad a few years back and I said no. I guess it's my fault.

Comments

• haha yeah these have been around for awhile...seems like there's one almost every block in Detroit. Definitely a little out of line IMO especially given Marvin's own substance problems (and the rumors of his father's alcohol consumption which I don't know the validity of).

I kinda think dead people should be left out of advertising all together, unless it's someone like Colonel Sanders or Orville Reddenbacher or something.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    I kinda think dead people should be left out of advertising all together

Anyone seen the MotoRokr/iTunes ad? Lots of current artists bought and paid for, like Madonna, Common, ?uestlove... but then the last person on it is Biggie, except of course it isn't Biggie, it's a very large black man with a kangol on. And that shit is even worse coz since it's not really him, and they didn't use his real image, it counts as parody, so doesn't even need to be paid for. Wackety wack.

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    Yeah, I think about this all the time, because I pass like 3 of the Marvin boards on my daily drive - the Pam Grier one, too, and I had a moment when I was driving with a friend and saw it, and I was like "DAMN! She still looks good!" and dude was like, "ummmm...that picture is like 30 years old!"

I always wonder who makes the decisions on the rights to use this stuff, like sometimes it's the family directly calling the shots, and sometimes it's just some legal trust. I wonder too about the things that get rejected - where do they draw the line? Is it always about how much $$$ is being offered, or do they attempt to keep the name "clean?"

I thought the Biggie thing was kinda funny, to be honest - but definitely suspect in the same way.

Don't forget this campaign:

• I find it pretty offensive. Moreso even than the Apple/Rosa Parks ad. Marvin was a pretty good looking guy... no-homo.