SISSY BOY ROCK

grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
so, a friend coerced me to go to amoeba yesterday to see a band called damon and naomi. not bad. actually, pretty good. i could do without the soprano sax, but it wasnt unbearable. i mean, i like the sissy boy rock. hell, LA seems to be all about this shit. but i'll be goddamn if i ever pay to see them perform. here's why:if im paying, you better fuckin ROCK. light some shit on fire. jump off a stage. eat a live chicken. break shit. MOTHERFUCKER DO SOMETHING!!!! what i saw yesterday was 4 greazzy lumps on stage just standing there. and what's worse is the crowd is probably more obnoxious than the actual performers. i mean, i guess this is a universal truth or some shit, but still.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    never been down with "sissy boy rock", but had many a friend who was...

• the3rdstreamthe3rdstream 1,980 Posts
    dude their from galaxie 500 (a great band) and the last time i saw them they had some japanese dudes (ghost) playing with them, you should have smoked before you went, would have been more enjoyable

• grandpa_shiggrandpa_shig 5,799 Posts

i seent your busted shoes and purple corduroys. you aint foolin no one.

dude their from galaxie 500 (a great band) and the last time i saw them they had some japanese dudes (ghost) playing with them, you should have smoked before you went, would have been more enjoyable

no, like i said, theyre pretty good. but id rather get the record and listen at home [stoned] than stand around and feel obligated to pay attention while they play.

and what's worse is the crowd is probably more obnoxious than the actual performers. i mean, i guess this is a universal truth or some shit, but still.

a very universal thruth, from coast to coast

no, like i said, theyre pretty good. but id rather get the record and listen at home [stoned] than stand around and feel obligated to pay attention while they play.

i can cheerlead that

I ROCK, damnit!

I ROCK, damnit!

ALL TALK NO ROCK!

I ROCK, damnit!

ALL TALK NO ROCK!

but,,,,but,,,,,

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    What other groups would you consider sissy boy rock? I wanna know what I'm workin with here. Death Cab? The Shins? The Smiths? Mazzy Star?

• SIRUSSIRUS 2,554 Posts
    What other groups would you consider sissy boy rock? I wanna know what I'm workin with here. Death Cab? The Shins? The Smiths? Mazzy Star?
    there is nothing sissy about the smiths dammit!morrisey rocked radio city hall !!

yes
    who?
    yes
    i say, how dare[/b] you!!!

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    so, a friend coerced me to go to amoeba yesterday to see a band called damon and naomi.

They're the ones on Sub Pop right?

• Birdman9Birdman9 5,417 Posts

what i saw yesterday was 4 greazzy lumps on stage just standing there. and what's worse is the crowd is probably more obnoxious than the actual performers. i mean, i guess this is a universal truth or some shit, but still.

I hate most any rock band that doesn't move. You gotta be real good to get a pass on that(Velvet Underground, they get a pass, Pink Floyd, ok)or provide me something that IS interesting to watch.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    if im paying, you better fuckin ROCK. light some shit on fire. jump off a stage. eat a live chicken. break shit. MOTHERFUCKER DO SOMETHING!!!!

co-sizzle.

I hate most any rock band that doesn't move. You gotta be real good to get a pass on that(Velvet Underground, they get a pass, Pink Floyd, ok)or provide me something that IS interesting to watch.

That's why Beck is a good performer. His bassist? does these funky movements.

• i mean, i like the sissy boy rock. hell, LA seems to be all about this shit.

thanks nic hardcourt, king of wuss rock.

i mean, i like the sissy boy rock. hell, LA seems to be all about this shit.

thanks nic hardcourt, king of wuss rock.

OOOOH MODED.

morning becomes decrepit

• BeardedDBeardedD 770 Posts
    I'd like to take Nik Harcort on in a slap fight.

• Sissy Boy Rock I've been listening to lately:

The Doves

Explosions in the Sky

The Shins

Erlend Oye[/b]

Couldn't tell you what their distinguishing characteristics are however... they all kinda sound the same to me.

I like it when I'm working, and just need background music to get stuff done.

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    I'd like to take Nik Harcort on in a slap fight.

I think Jon Spencer tried the verbal equivalent of this when Nic first started back in 1998 or so. I remember Nic getting his panties in a bunch that Jon wouldn't stop using the echo effects box on his voice when he was asked serious questions. I think since then Nic has played a couple new JSBX releases whenever they drop. That show might just be archived in the KCRW.com archives.

Nic Harcourt is a huge pushover for the CMJ and ALT.ROCK.BORING.SOMEWHAT.OC.POP.INDIE.TRENDIES.CROWD

He is the G.W. of Alt Rock and Public radio, but I still listen to his programme quite often.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    i really have to be in the right mood for this shit.

my good friend was a hip hop turned sissy boy rock convert, and of course he pushes a lot of that stuff onto me. i find that a lot of it has the same high pitched whiny voices. some of it sounds good, but it can get on my nerves pretty quickly.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts
    Still confused. So is sissy boy rock the same thing as emo? If so, than I hate sissy boy rock. Or is sissy boy rock indie rock that doesn't rock? If so than I can hang with some of that. I love Ben Kweller, M.Ward, Devandra Banhart, Kingsbury Manx, Kings of Convenience, Sparklehorse and on and on and on.

• slavinslavin 577 Posts
    Sissy Boy Rock I've been listening to lately:

The Doves[/b]

sissy boy rock? ehh..i dont know. i do know that i enjoy their newest record a lot.

• Sissy Boy Rock I've been listening to lately:

The Doves[/b]

sissy boy rock? ehh..i dont know. i do know that i enjoy their newest record a lot.

I don't even know what classifies something as S.B.R. either... I actually mentioned those band names because I rather like them as well... Not that I feel I need to defend myself because I listen to it, but my GF is really into that kinda stuff, so I gotta get up on that too

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts

"This chocolate brown hooped cape would fit all sizes. Been wanting to do that photo shoot in the graveyard? This is perfect. No tags inside but it appears to be wool, light chalky mark around the calf area the size of a lemon on the back of the cape (would probably come out with cleaning). Very fun or serious item. 48" from shoulder to hem."

• HamHam 872 Posts
    isn't "sissy boy" like a gay person?
    so all these bands are gay bands?