Missed Connections (RR)

hammertimehammertime 2,389 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Tell heartbreaking stories of near missed raers etc.

When I was still in college in Cincinnati, I saw a listing on Craigslist for some dude in Toledo that was selling jazz records. Since my parents live in Toledo I would visit fairly often, so I emailed the dude to see if he had good stuff or Glenn Miller records or what. Turns out he had a bunch of sick shit, including a bunch of original Sun Ra LPs on Saturn. He was selling everything for $5 each.

Soooo I really should've gotten in my car right then but I waited a week or two until it was convenient to go check out. By then he had discovered ebay and realized a lot of his LPs were worth several hundred dollars each.

So I still went through his stuff and got some decent shit, a lot of original Actuel pressings for $5 each, but he wouldn't let go of any of the Ra shit. Personally I thought he should've at least hooked me up with one since he had a ton of shit but no such luck. Turns out he's a photographer that shot all kinds of jazz shows around the midwest in the 60s and 70s, and I guess he was a huge Sun Ra fan. He's actually selling a bunch of old jazz posters and flyers on ebay right now and making mad bank on those as well.

Comments

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Soooo I really should've gotten in my car right then but I waited a week or two until it was convenient to go check out.