Quality Control Problems PT. 2

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
I just bought a brand new copy of Lyrics Born's "I'm Just Raw" remix 12" and the B-Side to that record has a huge cloudy film across the surface of the vinyl. I took it back and the second copy had the same shit! Gatdamn! this is frustrating cause my promo copy is fine. Quannum what the deal!??

Comments

• I just bought a brand new copy of Lyrics Born's "I'm Just Raw" remix 12" and the B-Side to that record has a huge cloudy film across the surface of the vinyl. I took it back and the second copy had the same shit! Gatdamn! this is frustrating cause my promo copy is fine. Quannum what the deal!??

On a similiar note, I bought the Keeping Time DVD on Ninja Tune from a local Portland , OR music store. The DVD was in PAL (European format), therefore it wouldn't play in my player. I brought it back to exchange for a new one. Dude hassled me, like I was a prick for wanting a DVD that I could actually watch. He finally exchanged it. I get home and it was in PAL also. Shit like that annoys me.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah stuff like that happens. And it's worse if you order online and you have to send shit back.

• Yeah stuff like that happens. And it's worse if you order online and you have to send shit back.
    I just hate when they glare at me and make me feel like an asshole for wanting a functional item for my money. I just smile and never spend a dime at places like that again.

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    Yeah stuff like that happens. And it's worse if you order online and you have to send shit back.

Oh fuck yes.

This week, i got two separate orders with fucked up things in them.

In a hiphopsite order i got a copy of the new z-trip 12" that was fucking cracked.

And from another place, I opened a sealed Quannam 12" to find it has a big scratch on it!

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    You need a multi region DVD player - DVDs pretty much include standard formatting, just depends on the machine you play them on. All the Region 1/Region 2 bullshit disappears if you get a multi region model then you can happily watch videos from anywhere on the planet.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    You need a multi region DVD player - DVDs pretty much include standard formatting, just depends on the machine you play them on. All the Region 1/Region 2 bullshit disappears if you get a multi region model then you can happily watch videos from anywhere on the planet.

Multiregion is not enough. You need the player to be multi-format too. I have a Pioneer that's multiregion, but would play Pal-B DVDs in black and white. You can also solve the problem with a transcoder, I think.

• sleepsleep 54 Posts
    a lot of dvd players have some sequence of button pushes to make them all region, google your model.

for the pc you can get utils that sit in the background and unprotect dvds, like http://www.slysoft.com/en/anydvd.html

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Like I said, mine IS multiregion, but not multiformat, that is, video format.

Confucius said "You can't fuck with video format with your remote control".

• FlomotionFlomotion 2,390 Posts
    Ah...sorry for that. My cheap ass model plays anything from anywhere: I buy DVDs from Japan, the US, France etc and they all work. Then again maybe that's a UK player thing.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yo I don't order form Hiphopsite anymore. Their service has gone to the shitter. When it was good, I'd order from them during the week adn get my shit the following Wednesday. The last few times I ordered from them they took longer than Sandboxautomatic and I even got my records that I'd ordered from the UK before my hiphopsite order came. And then they overcharged me and never returned my email.

• You need a multi region DVD player - DVDs pretty much include standard formatting, just depends on the machine you play them on. All the Region 1/Region 2 bullshit disappears if you get a multi region model then you can happily watch videos from anywhere on the planet.

Multiregion is not enough. You need the player to be multi-format too. I have a Pioneer that's multiregion, but would play Pal-B DVDs in black and white. You can also solve the problem with a transcoder, I think.

I sold regionfree DVD players for years at a company called mindlogic.com
    There is no such thing as a PAL-B DVD. PAL-B is a broadcast standard, not a video standard. If you received the DVD in question from South American it's more likely PAL-M or PAL-N which are similar to NTSC. Thusly sometimes NTSC equipment can play a PAl-M and PAL-N video/DVD but only in black-and-white.

If it played in black-and-white it's more likely a SECAM or MESECAM DVD. MESECAM is pretty rare and I'm not sure if it is even used anywhere in the world anymore. It's primarily a middle eastern format. Secam is almost exclusive to French these days.

What you need is a DVD player that is both multi-region so it can play discs from anywhere in the world regardless of their region. However, it also needs to contain a video converter so in case the DVD is in PAL format it can convert the PAL output into NTSC which American TVs can display.

I'd recommend you buy something like this https://www.mindlogic.com/MSDVD_PION_dv-588a-s_DTL.shtml but if you buy it from mindlogic.com haggle the price. They're usually making a grip on profit on these players. You could probably get about $30 or $40 knock off the price and only agree to pay $10 on shipping. They usually jack up shipping too.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

I sold regionfree DVD players for years at a company called mindlogic.com
    There is no such thing as a PAL-B DVD. PAL-B is a broadcast standard, not a video standard. If you received the DVD in question from South American it's more likely PAL-M or PAL-N which are similar to NTSC. Thusly sometimes NTSC equipment can play a PAl-M and PAL-N video/DVD but only in black-and-white.

I'm in Argentina, and our official standard is PAL-N, but all TVs sold here are what we call "bi-norma", somrething like "bi-standard", that is, they can handle PAL-N or NTSC. That's why I can play local DVDs or USA DVDs with no problem in my multiregion player. The only one DVD I had problems with was from UK, and I could only watch it in black and white. Now I know it must be a problem of the TV and not of the player. Thanks!