TV observations..

GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
so usually at this time I am at school getting my learn on but I am stuck at home sick so I got nothing to do but type on the computer and watch TV.

There is a show on ABC right now called "Rodney" thats looking pretty damn upsetting. The premise revolves around some redneck comedian dude. In this episode they accidently take home an illegal immigrant from mexico and insult him the entire episode. I'm thinking that is pretty sickening, the canned laughter only adds to the insult.

Anybody know this show?

Why is this on the air?

I thought ABC was owned by Disney, not to mention ABC is also the home of the George Lopez show.

Anyways what y'all watching?

Comments

• i opened my eyes long enough to see the hitler youth episode of law and order svu....a young nazi calls ice t the n word and belzer a kike. that's on nbc....

• Are you serious? That is so wack. It's not surprising, though. It's still seems OK to be prejudice against Mexicanos on TV.

• i opened my eyes long enough to see the hitler youth episode of law and order svu....a young nazi calls ice t the n word and belzer a kike. that's on nbc....

Well a depiction of a racists youth is one thing. A comedy where prejudice is a form of comedy is a different story all together. Not that I saw either, just going by what I read here.

• Simpsons, The Venture brothers, Harver Birdman, South park, Famly Guy...

I prefer my TV animated, It's not so hard to swallow that way, and BTW, TIVO is the shit...
    I'm livin' on demand, batches!

Speaking of dumb ass quasi-racist TV ish, anybody else see "The War at Home"?
    I was hoping that M. R. would come better than that stupid "all in the family" re-hash...

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts

Speaking of dumb ass quasi-racist TV ish, anybody else see "The War at Home"?
    I was hoping that M. R. would come better than that stupid "all in the family" re-hash...

yeah I was disapointed with that show too, I like Michael Rappaport but I don't like this show, its in that unfunny area where its not quite racist enough to be shocking and not quite good enough to stand on its own without some edge

• The rise of "redneck" comedy (and NASCAR) is one of the most distressing "cultural"developments of the last 50 years. Nothing like a whole slice of society that's proud to be simple minded...

And this guy...

...can eat a turd. I heard one of his "routines" on satellite radio. Started out all folksy and funny, and ended up seriously homophobic and xenophobic.

• DocBeezyDocBeezy 1,918 Posts
    The rise of "redneck" comedy (and NASCAR) is one of the most distressing "cultural"developments of the last 50 years. Nothing like a whole slice of society that's proud to be simple minded...

And this guy...

...can eat a turd. I heard one of his "routines" on satellite radio. Started out all folksy and funny, and ended up seriously homophobic and xenophobic.

100% agree. Its not even funny. Its plain ignorant.

• The rise of "redneck" comedy (and NASCAR) is one of the most distressing "cultural"developments of the last 50 years. Nothing like a whole slice of society that's proud to be simple minded...

What's sick about it is that the "redneck" comedy is huge not only in the usual places. I live in NJ and during one of my poker weekends at the Taj this cable guy was performing and it was the biggest crowd I've ever seen there. And it also seems like Comedy Central HAS to have a "Blue Collar" weekend every other weekend. Bill Hicks is crying somewhere.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    yeah I was disapointed with that show too, I like Michael Rappaport but I don't like this show, its in that unfunny area where its not quite racist enough to be shocking and not quite good enough to stand on its own without some edge

This show still being on is an embarrassment. That lawyer show with Chris O Donnell and Hebrew Hammer (can't remember his name) got yanked after 2 episodes from Fox (not that it was "good" per se, just an example), and this Rapaport piece of shit is still on. My gf recently said that Fox heads were asked about it, and acknowledged it sucked ass, but did well in the "teenage boy market" from 9-15 y.o. so they're keeping it on.

What's sick about it is that the "redneck" comedy is huge not only in the usual places. I live in NJ and during one of my poker weekends at the Taj this cable guy was performing and it was the biggest crowd I've ever seen there. And it also seems like Comedy Central HAS to have a "Blue Collar" weekend every other weekend. Bill Hicks is crying somewhere.

Dude...I am a lifelong Jersey resident, and I am constantly amazed at how rednecky this fucking state is. I live in Ocean County which has almost as many hillbillys as any part of Alabammy or Missahoochy or wherever. Aside from the giant pickup trucks (which my neighborhood is infested with), there are at least three "mega-churches" within a few miles of my house.

• don't fergit the shotgun in the back of the pick up that i see in my parents neighborhood constantly.... and that's not too far from larry

• don't fergit the shotgun in the back of the pick up that i see in my parents neighborhood constantly.... and that's not too far from larry

Buh-lee-dat....I'm waiting for the jughead that lives behind me to go on a killing spree....

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    The rise of "redneck" comedy (and NASCAR) is one of the most distressing "cultural"developments of the last 50 years. Nothing like a whole slice of society that's proud to be simple minded...

Dude...I am a lifelong Jersey resident, and I am constantly amazed at how rednecky this fucking state is. I live in Ocean County which has almost as many hillbillys as any part of Alabammy or Missahoochy or wherever. Aside from the giant pickup trucks (which my neighborhood is infested with), there are at least three "mega-churches" within a few miles of my house.
    Don't be surprised, L. Whenever you get some free time, pick up a map and look for populated areas. They're pretty spread out and the majority of NJ's population is in the greater New York area.

I'm proud that I'm an Atlantic County native because it looks like it sucks in Ocean County

• Dude...I am a lifelong Jersey resident, and I am constantly amazed at how rednecky this fucking state is. I live in Ocean County which has almost as many hillbillys as any part of Alabammy or Missahoochy or wherever. Aside from the giant pickup trucks (which my neighborhood is infested with), there are at least three "mega-churches" within a few miles of my house.

Whoa. I've lived in Jersey City my whole life and I've usually been limited to Bergen, Essex, Morris, and Hudson county. I truly had no idea. I forget how big a state it is and apparently what a remarkable resemblance it has to the nation as a whole. I guess I should (or shouldn't) go out there more often.

• Dude...I am a lifelong Jersey resident, and I am constantly amazed at how rednecky this fucking state is. I live in Ocean County which has almost as many hillbillys as any part of Alabammy or Missahoochy or wherever. Aside from the giant pickup trucks (which my neighborhood is infested with), there are at least three "mega-churches" within a few miles of my house.

Whoa. I've lived in Jersey City my whole life and I've usually been limited to Bergen, Essex, Morris, and Hudson county. I truly had no idea. I forget how big a state it is and apparently what a remarkable resemblance it has to the nation as a whole. I guess I should (or shouldn't) go out there more often.

Your part of the state is a whole different bag. I grew up in Monmouth County which is largely densely populated suburbs with a few small urban/semi-urban areas like Freehold, Red Bank and Asbury Park. Ocean County carries some of the same aspects but begins to thin out and get rural very quickly (with the added feature of a ton of retirement communities). The further south you get, the more woodsy it is (except for the shore areas which are resort-oriented).
    Brick - where I live - is a mix of suburban/shore resort (it's adjacent to Point Pleasant Beach).