deep thoughts about bootlegs

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited November 2005 in Strut Central
Heres another noob question for you all. Bootleg LPs, as in the infamous $8.99 pieces that we all say we're against, but will purchase in a second if our back is up against the wall: If these are legitimately illegitimate, how come places like Dustygroove can sell them without hesitation. Buying from DG ain't exactly like meeting some hood in an alley and shopping outta the trunk of his car. And also, where do these come from? Are they all courtesy of some guy in Jersey with a magical record-pressing machine in his garage? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I've wondered about these same ?'s

• will purchase in a second if our back is up against the wall

From the mouth's of newbie's...

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts

I was just going through my stuff to see how many of these I had. less than a dozen. I don't mind having boots of stuff like the invaders, but I feel kinda bad having stuff like headless heroes that I could buy "the authentic" object of. but, it's not like MCD is going to see any money if I drop a bill on his record on eBay...

• Still can't find "outlaw" to save my life...

Good rev. left Mc D...
    shine yo light on me!!!

This is the re-ish I played to Def...

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    Are they all courtesy of some guy in Jersey with a magical record-pressing machine in his garage? Thanks in advance.

yes, plaese to explain wdcdradio on ebay

thanks

I remember being at a record show, when all of the sudden an angry swarm of cops busted in and cleared off this guys whole table of Stones and Beatles merch and led him out in handcuffs. Imagine that happening at DG? The employees would shit their pants. haha... also, I want this thread to become my first 5-pager:

Maybe the Feds don't care if it's black folks being bootlegged.

• I remember being at a record show, when all of the sudden an angry swarm of cops busted in and cleared off this guys whole table of Stones and Beatles merch and led him out in handcuffs. Imagine that happening at DG? The employees would shit their pants. haha... also, I want this thread to become my first 5-pager:

Maybe the Feds don't care if it's black folks being bootlegged.

W O R D... what the fuck... I seen that shit too, a rolling stones bootleg will get your shit
    impounded (lord knows they got nuff scrilla) and the re-ish market is booming, ane
    you know 90% of those joints are ...

L

What I really wanna know is who the fuck is buying boots of Sun Godess & shit?

• mylatencymylatency 10,475 Posts
    timmydigalot

• What I really wanna know is who the fuck is buying boots of Sun Godess & shit?

Gotta get it MINTY FRESH

All my copies have little ringwear marks on that bitch's forehead.

Seriously I have no fucking idea, obviously people who are morons.

They even stock that shit at places like Ameoba right next to a giant wad of 2-5 dollar OG's!

• They even stock that shit at places like Ameoba right next to a giant wad of 2-5 dollar OG's!

I got a little spot that found out about the re-ish scene, got some stuff in and
    MARKED DOWN the O.G.'s

especially the 45's, went from $4 to $3...

thank god for NH old Dudes...

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    ...even better than that are the $25 legit reissues of 25 cent AC/DC albums that I see everywhere. Are these marketed towards people who buy their turntable at Restoration Hardware??? I think I have about 7 copies of this, if anyone needs one.

• ...even better than that are the $25 legit reissues of 25 cent AC/DC albums that I see everywhere. Are these marketed towards people who buy their turntable at Restoration Hardware??? I think I have about 7 copies of this, if anyone needs one.

the $25 or $0.25 version?

...even better than that are the $25 legit reissues of 25 cent AC/DC albums that I see everywhere. Are these marketed towards people who buy their turntable at Restoration Hardware??? I think I have about 7 copies of this, if anyone needs one.

this is a good point, but a lot of these are super audiophile quality & actually quite nice - as opposed to the crumby boots we were talking about. But, still, it's an AC/DC album...

the $25 or $0.25 version?

For a great collectro like yourself? Only $20.

I suppose there a lot of people out there who are not really immersed in the "rare commodity" world of record collecting. The types who just prefer vinyl to CD for asthetic reasons, not collectibility. They would rather have a nice, shiny new copy over a crummy old one I'd imagine. But that still doesn't shed any light on who these shades manufacturing these albums are.

• edpowersedpowers 4,437 Posts
    All my copies have little ringwear marks on that bitch's forehead.

==============

I've only got one copy. Geez

• on a semi-related note (sort of), i found this interesting, as it got me to wondering how many artists don't even see a penny from their own albums re-issue sales:

sunny murray, drummer, recorded for actuel records in the late 60's:

http://www.paristransatlantic.com/magazine/interviews/murray.html

But in Europe you had the same kind of experience with BYG Actuel!

Oh yeah, that's the next one! Those two, ESP and BYG, were the biggest profiteers of avant-garde music in the world. So these days I record for the younger cats, I have no problem with them, they treat me good. Japanese companies are good, I get my royalty checks... But the real dinosaurs were ESP and BYG, because they didn't pay NOBODY. You're dead as far as they're concerned. I've been dead for thirty-two years. Now they've re-released everything so it's like you're dead two times.

I heard they [Charly] wouldn't be re-releasing all the BYG Actuel catalogue...

Oh, they'll release them... (Pause) BYG records are gangsters. They try to intimidate you. But Bernard's helping me on that one. And I'm going to try and address the problem before I'm dead. I'm going to put on the Internet, on a website, PLEASE DON'T BUY CERTAIN RECORD LABELS... If you want to help us and respect what we stood for, don't buy BYG.[/b] If you're really interested in those tapes, write to me and I'll send you a cassette. Maybe this way one day our children won't buy BYG records. I'd prefer it if you didn't buy any, but DON'T BUY MINE! Here's my address and I'll send you a cassette of whatever you want to hear...

Steve Lacy told me he'd said something provocative about BYG records like they were a bunch of crooks, and two guys came to his house and said they were working for BYG and they said ???Be careful what you say, what you do. You can get in a lot of trouble, buddy.??? Steve said they really frightened him. ???Yeah, Murray, they're real gangsters!??? I said ???I swear that's perfect for me, I wish I could get that kind of response, because I'm not like you, Steve. They come to my house and threaten me I'm gonna try to fight them. Call the cops on the scene, make a scandal, hit 'em with a chair.??? He was telling me ???Be careful, Sunny... Jean-Luc Young, he's a gangster.???

They ripped me off of a whole record of mine that I produced and paid for with Jimmy Garrison, Lonnie Liston Smith, Alan Silva, Joe Lee Wilson singing, children singing... My record. BYG records stole it from me. They put it out somewhere because once I got an ASCAP statement, and ???Love's Last Cry???, which is the name of the record and one of the tunes on it, was on there, which means it was played over the radio somewhere.

AC/DC::Let There Be Rock[/b]
    With its almost biblical overtones, Let There Be Rockcame screaming out of Australia in 1977 as AC/DC???s first stab at a real album. As a mission statement, it comes across as a fresh start a break from the early novelty approach to songwriting and a move to the more focused album-oriented view that the band would perfect. Let There Be Rock was the brooding sound of AC/DC putting the world and particularly their critics on notice that their march had really begun, that they were as serious as a cardiac condition with a megaton of amplification. It simply wasn???t possible to make more exciting rock and roll

they were as serious as a cardiac condition with a megaton of amplification

megaton of amplification

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

megaton of amplification
    megaton of amplification
    megaton of amplification
    megaton of amplification

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Man I don't fuck with bootlegs. I don't care enough about them to purchase them and I'd rather save my money and track down the OG instead. I think it's laziness for people to buy boots. Search for the original, I mean come on.

• upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
    bootlegs/ reissues are good for one thing, party rocking mixing alcohol with vinyl

• dayday 9,612 Posts
    Fuck that. I'll take a reissue until I find an OG.

And I'll even take something like Mulatu and treat it like an OG cause I don't have $800 to drop on a rackord.

I have no shame.

I find my share of raers though.

But for some unknown reason I won't sample from anything other than an OG (99.9% of the time) yet I use Serato. Call me kooky.

Fuck that. I'll take a reissue until I find an OG.
    And I'll even take something like Mulatu and treat it like an OG cause I don't have $800 to drop on a rackord.
    I have no shame.

I find my share of raers though.

But for some unknown reason I won't sample from anything other than an OG (99.9% of the time) yet I use Serato. Call me kooky.

i like my 2lp placebo sessions on counterpoint, but im not treating it like its a OG placebo

i remember when reissues started to come out, the whole 70's soulfunk revival thing, i was like heres all those damn records i never could find, i'll buy some reissues, i need those roy ayers, i love roy ayers, ive been wanting that coffy ost since always,..... if i hadnt bought those reissues back then i might have had the OGs today

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    ^^

that counterpoint comp is probably legit, meaning marc moulin (or however holds the rights) got a share - I've got that comp too but the original question was more about straight up bootlegs (aka legit re's are better from a moral point of view) ... as for bootlegs, there seem to be less about these days compared to a few years ago, particularly in terms of those funk comps which used to surface. I'm apathetically so-so about them, the quality for example can be lacking, if theres realistically no other way you're going to be able to get or hear the music the maths ain't hard

example:
    take the OG pinnacle lp with buster williams (muse75) and the reissue version, play them back to back on the same turntable

your face will look something like this

• I'll take a reissue until I find an OG.

I have no shame.