what's a "Hollaback Girl"?

djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
I'm sayin'. I work at a High School and know all the hip new slang, but I am lost on this one.

Comments

• NateBizzoNateBizzo 2,328 Posts
    I assume that it implies promiscuity.

• emyndemynd 830 Posts
    I'm not sure but it was the name of my team at Quiz night at the bar the other night. Me and two other dudes. We got served.

-e

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    Someone who replies when you holler at her?

• We can perhaps deduce the meaning of this term by first adddressing what a hollaback girl is not: I ain't no hollaback girl.

• schnipperschnipper 528 Posts
    We can perhaps deduce the meaning of this term by first adddressing what a hollaback girl is not: I ain't no hollaback girl.

Aww dude

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts

a chick who waits for someone to holler back at her and she'll do whatever they want

(I was going to write who is at a dude's beck and call - is it beckon call or is it beck and call?I've said it, but never had occasion to write it - which is it?)

• SooksSooks 714 Posts

Very funny.

2. Hollaback Girl
    a girl who doesn't spend her time discussing issues and trying to win over others with logic but rather prefers to throw down and convince skeptics through fisticuffs or a good ass kicking.

3. Hollaback Girl
    I have no idea what it means but apparently Gwen Stefani "aint" one.

5. hollaback girl
    A term that Gwen Stefani apparently just made the fuck up and tries to pass on as regular slang.

8. Hollaback Girl
    a girl who spends her time discussing issues and trying to win over others with logic.

9. Hollaback Girl
    A Cheerleader who hollars in the background which most people ignore. Since you can't ignore Gwen Stefani, she ain't no 'hollaback girl'.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    Beck and call.

• PABLOPABLO 1,921 Posts
    Can't belive I looked this up but here's some funny & insightful stuff from urbandictionary.com:

1. Hollaback Girl
    An attractive girl but not the cream of the crop.
    When Tom sees Juile at a club, He hollas at her because she looks good but then when he sees Becky he forgets all about Juile. At the end of the night Becky won't put out so he 'hollas back' at Juile.

2. Hollaback Girl
    a girl who doesn't spend her time discussing issues and trying to win over others with logic but rather prefers to throw down and convince skeptics through fisticuffs or a good ass kicking.
    ex. Gwen Stafani's song. When another girl said some bad things about her thinking she wouldn't find out, the character in Gwen's song didn't want to discuss the matter, she simply went to the offender and kicked her big mouthed butt.

3. Hollaback Girl
    I have no idea what it means but apparently Gwen Stefani "aint" one.
    Let me hear you say, this shit is bananas
    B-A-N-A-N-A-S
    4x

A few times I've been around that track
    So it's not just goin' to happen like that
    Because I ain't no hollaback girl
    I ain't no hollaback girl
    2x

4. hollaback girl
    they are 2 definitions
    1. these females are known as
    hypes, who probably might get the party started, they are the ones who holla back when a n**** holla
    a female who is easy,
    2. a female who starts the fight but can't finish it!
    1.ho "what it is ho, ah what's up?
    Can a nigga get in them guts?" SKIP A FEW LINES "Well give me you number and I'll call" A boy holla then she hand him her number
    2."few times been around the track but it aint gon happen just like that
    cause I AIN'T NO HOLLA BACK GIRL"
    Gwen Stefani is going to finish the chit-chat about her.

5. hollaback girl
    A term that Gwen Stefani apparently just made the fuck up and tries to pass on as regular slang.
    Ohh look at me I'm Gwen Stefani blah blah blah blah HOLLABACK GIRL blah blah blah

6. hollaback girl
    A girl who gets mad when people are talking shit about them and confronts them starting a verbal fight. She hollers back at them.
    In Gwen Stefani's "Hollaback Girl" she says she throws-down and fights girls who talk shit, saying she AIN'T NO hollaback girl, indicating she doesn't yell back like a hollaback girl does, she just beats them down and it's over with.

7. Hollaback Girl
    A Chickenhead who will Holla back to anyone who holla's at her.
    LaFonda is a Hollaback girl, cause she's easy like Sunday Morning....

8. Hollaback Girl
    a girl who spends her time discussing issues and trying to win over others with logic.
    In Gwen Stafani's song. When another girl said some bad things about her thinking she wouldn't find out, the character in Gwen's song didn't want to discuss the matter, she simply went to the offender and kicked her big mouthed butt. (Cuz She Aint no Hollaback Girl)

9. Hollaback Girl
    A Cheerleader who hollars in the background which most people ignore. Since you can't ignore Gwen Stefani, she ain't no 'hollaback girl'.
    A few times I've been around that track
    So it's not just goin' to happen like that
    Because I ain't no hollaback girl
    I ain't no hollaback girl

10. hollaback girl
    A Girl that is not a doormat and will just take something. If someone disses you, your not going to just take it or holla back at them. Your going to do something about it.
    Someone talks about you behind your back, your just not going to take it, your going to go and do something about it. Confront that person.

11. Hollaback Girl
    A girl that is 35 years of age trying to pretend she's cheerleader and sex idol.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    beckon call.
    f.asaurus

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts

It started as
    beckon call
    but loose lips and lazy tongues have rounded it down to
    beck and call

cf."croissanwich"

• OneSoulOneSoul 206 Posts
    I'm sayin'. I work at a High School and know all the hip new slang, but I am lost on this one.

not quite sure on the 'Hollaback Girl' but the other night I was at my weekly and was at a loss for a 'Holla' retort.

okay here is the set-up (as with Anna, I also feel that I'm usually up on the slang) but I guess my un-hipness is showing through.

Me: (while setting up my records and doing sound check etc..)

Up walks Tina (23 year old bartender, very cute & setting up the bar): "Hey Br**n!"

Me: "Oh, hey Tina, what's up, how's it goin'? "

Tina: " Holla !"

Me: (at a loss) just proceded to do the 'yo, what up' head nod.

can one of you younger, hipper dudes let me know what the proper retort should have been?

[sarcasm] desperately wanting to fit in, [/sarcasm]

-B-

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Beck and call.

beckon call.
    f.asaurus

thanks for answering, but this doesn't help a whole lot. maybe the first one is a joke?

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts

11. Hollaback Girl
    A girl that is 35 years of age trying to pretend she's cheerleader and sex idol.

which begs the question: Why IS a 35 year old millionaire singer who's married to a British rocker singing a song about how she's not a high school slut?

Just an excuse to put on a cheerleader outfit I think.

• Up walks Tina (23 year old bartender, very cute & setting up the bar): "Hey Br**n!"

Me: "Oh, hey Tina, what's up, how's it goin'? "

Tina: " Holla !"

Me: (at a loss) just proceded to do the 'yo, what up' head nod.

If she's using holla like that, then "What's really really good" is probably right up her alley for a response.

• DenmarkVZDenmarkVZ 397 Posts
    ???

being from the south--where most words are blunted and blended together--i'm terrible at that kinda shit.

• djannadjanna 1,543 Posts
    Onesoul, I think your bartender friend's use of the word "Holla" was, in this case, extranious and uncalledfor. You did the right thing by responding with the all-encasing "Headnod". Well done.

• can one of you younger, hipper dudes let me know what the proper retort should have been?

" "

• which begs the question: Why IS a 35 year old millionaire singer who's married to a British rocker singing a song about how she's not a high school slut?

Trying to adapt to her target audience I think.

• drewnicedrewnice 5,465 Posts
    Onesoul, I think your bartender friend's use of the word "Holla" was, in this case, extranious and uncalledfor. You did the right thing by responding with the all-encasing "Headnod". Well done.

Did she stand there staring at you, waiting for a response? Or was she just passing by and wanted to say what's up?

If the former, she was definitely saying the wrong thing. Otherwise, both of you worked it out.

• parenparen 537 Posts
    Nah, I believe the proper response to Holla! in a bar/restaurant setting is:

McDonald's Big N' Tasty is a Dolla!

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    "Girl in the all black/she think she all that/she told me not to call back/then she called me /what you call that?" MF Grimm