Curtis mayfield question (little dude related)

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I know I'm starting a tradition with little-dude moves here after the Chaka Khan question (thanks for all the help on that btw):I thought I had all Curtis Mayfield's LPs, but it seems I am missing the track "Move On Up." Can someone tell me what LP this came out on? Or was it a soundtrack release?Thanks!

Comments

• I dont know where you can find that but didn't he also do it with the Impressions?

There's also a disco cover version of it.

Dress

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    A disco cover of it by someone else?

Also, do you know what impressions Lp it came out on?

• BobBob 19 Posts

It's on his first solo album "Curtis".

well mystery solved.
    Turns out I was mixing up my copy of his Roots LP with the 'Curtis' LP, which i don't have!

Thanks for that bob!

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts
    ooff...you dont have curtis?

Get it now!

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    If you like "Move On Up", you should also check the reggae version that Greyhound does on

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts

Best first post EVAR

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    I dont know where you can find that but didn't he also do it with the Impressions?

You're probably confusing it with the Impressions'"We're A Winner" (which has the repeated catchphrase "movin' on up" - not to be confused with the theme from The Jeffersons!).

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

the 'Curtis' LP, which i don't have!

You do realize that you will be teased forever about this, don't you?

• mordecaimordecai 2,204 Posts

perhaps he makes up for it with multiple copies of Sisqo's "Enter The Dragon"

perhaps he makes up for it with $300 copies of Placebo?

• awallawall 673 Posts

best soul album of all time

• The disco version I was thinking of is a cover by a group called Destination. It's on Butterfly Records from 1979. I have it on a 12" but it says on the label that it's from an lp called "from beginning to end".

I also remember seeing a 7" of it a while ago.

Dress

So My sisquo discography ain't good enough?

Rest assured, I will be copping that Curtis LP quick smart.

• It's on his first solo album "Curtis".

yeah its a nicey nice 8 min plus version....

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts

or $500 copies of Nathan Davis IF

What makes you think I spent that much on my copy?

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    Rest assured, I will be copping that Curtis LP quick smart.

See that you do.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    DUDE! you have all those raer ass crap records and you dont have Curtis s/t?????? PARTY FOUL! dude, cop that immediately. possibly the GSAOAT(greatest soul album of all time). while were on the topic, anyone got a copy "no place like america today"? only early curtis i dont have, it seems to be kinda tough to find clean

• akoako https://soundcloud.com/a-ko 3,413 Posts
    i dont have curtis either, but thats mostly because i honestly cant remember EVER seeing a copy out in the field. weird, huh?

my friend has one though.

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    this is one record that warrants an ebay purchase if you dotn own it, either that or buy it on cd. sheesh

DUDE! you have all those raer ass crap records and you dont have Curtis s/t?????? PARTY FOUL! dude, cop that immediately. possibly the GSAOAT(greatest soul album of all time). while were on the topic, anyone got a copy "no place like america today"? only early curtis i dont have, it seems to be kinda tough to find clean

hath spoken

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    i dont have curtis either, but thats mostly because i honestly cant remember EVER seeing a copy out in the field. weird, huh?

I've yet to see a clean copy in my years and years of buying records... got a placeholder/listener of course...

The one time I did find a stone mint copy I wasted no time plunking down the 10 bucks and went home to listen... and realized the LP inside was one of the live ones

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    The Jam have a cover of it also - but it's from the last EP they ever released, and the punk edge is pretty much gone, so it ends up being more of a straight copy than a cool punk variation. Still, not bad.

• i dont have curtis either, but thats mostly because i honestly cant remember EVER seeing a copy out in the field. weird, huh?

i just got an original this year..i had to hold out for an OG....

I've only had 2 mint copies of this in like 8 years. It's not easy to find clean, but it's about 600,000 times better than Nathan Davis.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    It's not easy to find clean, but it's about 600,000 times better than Nathan Davis.

You know what? You're goddamn right.

It's not easy to find clean, but it's about 600,000 times better than Nathan Davis.

You know what? You're goddamn right.

syrius? I mena, nathan and Curtis aren't exactly in direct competition, genre-wise. As far as funky jazz goes, nathan davis kills is.

But hey, I needs that move on up joint in my life badly right now (gig related)