mp3 players..NEED HELP!!!!!

SouthCrackalackSouthCrackalack 3,853 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
ok,,of course I am familiar with the iPOD and all that..but I need some advice on fhe cheaper mp3 players,like the Rio,etc. If anyone can tell me the pros and cons, it would be appreciated, a message PM stylee would be fine. Someone drop me some knowledge. thanks

Comments

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts
    My friend bought a 20 GIG rio, and likes it A LOT. Says he read somewhere the quality one some of their shits is doper than the iPod. I don't know, but the iPod is really expensive and probably not worth it. I bought one, but only because I already own a Mac.

Good luck, let us know what you settle on.

• Ok, this won't drop into cheapos category, but I'm just waiting Nokia N91 to hit the stores. Who needs separate iPod/other mp3 player after this?

• reskresk 391 Posts
    Ok, this won't drop into cheapos category, but I'm just waiting Nokia N91 to hit the stores. Who needs separate iPod/other mp3 player after this?

3000 songs is a lot if you just store songs and not full albums. If you store full albums, 4gigs aint much

• reskresk 391 Posts
    also another note, apple offers a 30% discounts to students. I know a handful of people who arent even students, but just marked that they attend an university and got the discount, they dont verify (unless that particular school has an apple store)

• Who wants to store all his/her music files to portable device?

What you're going to do if your 'store'...

a) ...gets stolen?

b) ...hard disk says ?

• reskresk 391 Posts
    your portable mp3 player shouldnt be your primary storage, it should be secondary/tirtiary. Your pc hard drive should store before your mp3 player, and i make backups of my pc's music on dvd-r's. Your pc just makes copies into your ipod.

so
    1. if stolen, i buy another portable mp3 player (in my case an ipod) and just put the music on my new ipod.

2. if my PC hard drive goes out, i throw in the dvd-r's

• ok,,of course I am familiar with the iPOD and all that..but I need some advice on fhe cheaper mp3 players,like the Rio,etc. If anyone can tell me the pros and cons, it would be appreciated, a message PM stylee would be fine. Someone drop me some knowledge. thanks

this is going to be a gift for the girlfriend(her bday is right before XMAS). Anyone that knows a lot about them, please PM me so I rest arrured I got one thjat will get the job done. Once again..PMs are welcome
    -Heath Barkley

• your portable mp3 player shouldnt be your primary storage, it should be secondary/tirtiary. Your pc hard drive should store before your mp3 player, and i make backups of my pc's music on dvd-r's. Your pc just makes copies into your ipod.

so

1. if stolen, i buy another portable mp3 player (in my case an ipod) and just put the music on my new ipod.

Yeah, this the drill, everybody knows this. It's the whole different deal if you want to have ALL your music with you...

Seriously, you have too much digital stuff if you need to think if 3000 songs is enough... Go and buy some vinyl

• reskresk 391 Posts
    most of whats in my ipod is my cd hip hop album collection mostly bought in the 90s. Also, since i do radio, im serviced hip hop albums, some are worth putting in the ipod. The rest is vinyl i recorded onto my pc and put as mp3s. I do a lot of traveling during certain parts of the year so having my album collection (not all, but ones worth having with me) in my ipod is more convinient then bringing my cd collection and vinyl collection around everywhere i go.

Shit, its great for road trips too.

• My iPod's hard disk said this week

• your portable mp3 player shouldnt be your primary storage, it should be secondary/tirtiary. Your pc hard drive should store before your mp3 player, and i make backups of my pc's music on dvd-r's. Your pc just makes copies into your ipod.

so

Yeah, this the drill, everybody knows this. It's the whole different deal if you want to have ALL your music with you...

Seriously, you have too much digital stuff if you need to think if 3000 songs is enough... Go and buy some vinyl

I don't think most folks around here are hurting for vinyl; but that shit is kind of complicated to listen to while riding the bus or making moves around town. Portable music is a convenience I am thankful for.

• jleejlee 1,539 Posts
    My iPod's hard disk said this week

as of today i am on ipod # 3 in less than a year, either steve jobs hates my guts or apple is concerned more about making it look cool than working well. unless i hear of some major improvements, after my service agreement ends i will not get a new ipod.

• i bought mine off a friend and dont have any proof of purchase so im fucked... it lasted 9 months and now the hard drive is dead. i'm so bummed especially due to that fact i am moving out this week and wont have any cash to pick another one up for a lonnnng time.

• AserAser 2,351 Posts
    you don't need proof of purchase, as long as it's w/i one year of original purchase date then you're covered. You can check by entering your serial # here....

Also, people forget the ipod is basically a portable hard drive. So don't put it in your bag and throw it on your couch when you get home. Or put it in a bag w/ a magnetic closure, magnets are not a good look for hard drives.

so

I don't think most folks around here are hurting for vinyl; but that shit is kind of complicated to listen to while riding the bus or making moves around town. Portable music is a convenience I am thankful for.
    Yeah, I definetly know what you mean. I'll travel 150+ days in a year because of my work and couldn't live with out portable music. But I don't have a need to carry all my music with me at once.

I've an 30GB iPod (2nd gen.) since it came out couple of years ago. I have a massive 250GB external drive back home which I use as mass-storage for my digital stuff - mixtape/compilation swap cds, real mixtapes and loads of music from my own collection converted to high quality ACCs (bitrate wise).

If I'm on a 2 week trip with 14 hour flight to both directions, I tend to notice that I haven't listened most of the stuff during trip. That's why I don't have need to have ten thousand tracks with me all the time. I just need enough music to fill the need for music that I really enjoy. I usually upload stuff to iPod randomly before the trip to make sure that I have enough stuff to survive, and also to make sure that I don't have that same shit on board every time.

• When you say "cheaper", how cheap are we talking about? A general price range would help out in giving you some recommendations.

• anyone familiar with the RCA RIO(i think that is the name?>?) if so..drop knowledge