The Term "Diggin" does it apply to HipHop

PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I've had people tell me that buying Hiphop records isn't "Diggin". I mean a lot of Hiphop is very rare. Especailly all the early Hiphop releases of the late 70's/eraly 80's, Japanese exclusives, independant and promo only pressings out there. All this stuff can be extremely rare, so what do you think?

Comments

• "Diggin" to me is going to look for used records getting your fingers dirty no matter what kind of music you're looking for..when someone tells me they are goin "diggin" and they mean they are goin to chek for new releases i think thats kind of

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    With this thread, SoulStrut has officially fallen off.

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts

Apparently Faux's not "Diggin" it!

• AserAser 2,351 Posts

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    I've had people tell me that buying Hiphop records isn't "Diggin".

Tell them to suck on your fucking ballsack. Who the fuck are they to tell you what anything is or isn't?

• TheMackTheMack 3,414 Posts
    who cares? buy what you want, call it what you want. i like to call buying hip hop records "scooby dooin'"

• "Diggin" to me is going to look for used records getting your fingers dirty

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

Tell them to suck on your fucking ballsack.

Rather a more extreme reaction than accusations of nondiggerdom would seem to merit...

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Tell them to suck on your fucking ballsack.

Rather a more extreme reaction than accusations of nondiggerdom would seem to merit...

Maybe by itself, but I get tired of hearing 1,001 douchebags claim to be authority on shit that is subjective and nondefined.

So until I read that Merriam-Webster has decided that the definition of digging does not include searching for hip hop records, tell them to suck on your fucking ballsack.

• With this thread, SoulStrut has officially fallen off.

• JUDJUD 82 Posts

• HawkeyeHawkeye 896 Posts
    I recently interviewed Keb Darge. I asked him what they said in the 70s and 80s for "diggin". And he said "looking for new tunes".

Peace
    Hawkeye

• I recently interviewed Keb Darge. I asked him what they said in the 70s and 80s for "diggin". And he said "looking for new tunes".

yes. it's called shopping, not archaeology.

• lambertlambert 1,166 Posts

it's called shopping

• Phill_MostPhill_Most 4,594 Posts
    Wow.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

The term Diggin was swiped from the "World Music" collectors in the early to mid 80's. Thurman Thompkins from Baltimore claims to have coined the phrase while looking for the elusive Mango recording of The Junkyard Band live @ the Canary Islands '85.

Phill, is that avatar Hammer? Damn!!!

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    I recently interviewed Keb Darge. I asked him what they said in the 70s and 80s for "diggin". And he said "looking for new tunes".

Peace
    Hawkeye

I think the term diggin was used in the 70s aswell... PAGING A-KO! That intro on Chicago is from a 70s record, right??

• GambleGamble 844 Posts
    Phill, is that avatar Hammer? Damn!!!

GO NINJA, GO NINJA, GO!

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    I just figured that this forum would be the perfect place to ask this question since everyone here seems to be an authority on something. But I see we have a lot of purists in here. How can diggin for Hiphop not be considered diggin when you got a lot of rare shit out there that a lot of people are looking for and still a lot more rare shit that only a few people know about? Peace.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I just figured that this forum would be the perfect place to ask this question since everyone here seems to be an authority on something. But I see we have a lot of purists in here. How can diggin for Hiphop not be considered diggin when you got a lot of rare shit out there that a lot of people are looking for and still a lot more rare shit that only a few people know about? Peace.
    Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Quit while your ahead.

• PlanetPlanet 589 Posts
    Yeah I'm done. Just hadn't had time to respond since I posted it. Out!

• twoplytwoply Only Built 4 Manzanita Links 2,914 Posts
    Paging Timmy Digalot!

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

this is the only worthwhile thing in this thread.

this is the only worthwhile thing in this thread.

Iz That Karateka???

That should be over @ the best avatar ever thtread.

• mcdeemcdee 871 Posts
    cant resist.........

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    is looking at hip-hop avatars considered "digging"?

• gloomgloom 2,765 Posts
    "scooby dooin'"

• johmbolayajohmbolaya 4,472 Posts
    If you are diggin' for peanuts, yes.