High quality cassette decks?

dayday 9,611 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I just got over a dozen tapes in the mail that I need to record to MP3/Wav.
I looked into getting the PlusDeck PC Cassette Deck but it seems like more of a hassle than it's worth. I can just record straight into my soundcard instead.
SO - can anyone recommend a really good cassette deck? I know that's like asking "can you recommend a good stone tablet to write on?" but

Comments

• Nakamichi Dragon. Nuff said.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    Nakamichi Dragon. Nuff said.

Price Paid: $900[/b] at audiogon

um... maybe not the highest quality. I can't even find one of those for sale anywhere online.

• yeah, i've been hoping to find a spot to rent a high quality deck from but haven't had time to research but there has to be some rental possibilities...I would think

• cascas 1,484 Posts
    yeah...i'm about to have the problem i think. i'm trying to make a few of my older mixes into mp3s. i have a jvc deck that is pretty new and clean. i hope it comes out semi-clean.

• HAZHAZ 3,376 Posts

Sony should have some still available with Dolby "S". That's supposed to be the best noise reduction for tapes. I saw one in the sony store for 300 canadian.

• lucerolucero 425 Posts
    what about the likes of rotel and marantz ?

they made decent quality tape decks along with nakamichi, I'd go for something that hasn't been used too much - if you clean the heads & the your tapes are in good condition you should be fine

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts

Sony should have some still available with Dolby "S". That's supposed to be the best noise reduction for tapes. I saw one in the sony store for 300 canadian.

I wouldn't recommend any Dolbying of anything. You're going to lose much more high end than you need to.

Record it clean to a computer and use audio software to clean it up. It's ridiculous to try to use some 30 year old semi-mechanical filtering that does a blanket filter instead of doing a case-by-case noise filter as you can do with any reasonable audio software (i.e. CoolEdit).

PLEASE KIDS, DON'T DO IT.[/b]

Sermon over.

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    what about the likes of rotel and marantz ?

they made decent quality tape decks along with nakamichi, I'd go for something that hasn't been used too much - if you clean the heads & the your tapes are in good condition you should be fine

A good question here is not even the condition of the tapes, but how they were recorded to begin with?