POST A SOUL MAN WITH HIS DOG

danceonamericadanceonamerica 233 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Oh yes people, the soul man's best friend. Please to post some (check modern soul back cover lp's).I know there's more!

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

• Options
    I think that top one qualifies as a soul man with a dog ...and a cow. Think he has leather sock on?

K.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts
    I think that top one qualifies as a soul man with a dog ...and a cow. Think he has leather sock on?

K.

The whole outfit's leather. I also always wondered how he got on that rock for the photoshoot in those shoes.

• mistercmisterc 329 Posts

K.

The whole outfit's leather. I also always wondered how he got on that rock for the photoshoot in those shoes.

I just got the joke, nevermind

• JUDJUD 82 Posts
    Not quite in the same vein, but this picture always cracks me up. Looks like he's trying to tempt that dog into sodomizing him.

• parsecparsec 5,087 Posts

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    Wish I could post a bigger image, but no thread about soul men posing on album covers with their dogs is complete without this one:

Hope that door opened from the outside, 'cause the bed is blocking it!

• I think the picture on the back of the cover is funny as hell.. because it looks like the dog is humpin Dexter but i couldn't find the image

• I like how Johnny gives more love to his dog by allowing it to chill on the couch next to him while his hoes are laying on the floor.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

• BsidesBsides 4,244 Posts

I his rolls royce named Hamlet? Word up.

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts

I his rolls royce named Hamlet? Word up.

I forget the guy's full name (Sir James ???), but I remember his face from the article I read and I think he's supposed to be some kind of big-deal Shakespearean actor.

Didn't know he made a record, though (is it spoken word, or is he singing?).

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    If there is a person who could bring sophistication to "funk music," that person would have to be Sir James Randolph. This album is the long overdue debut of Jimmy Randolph, a man of natural regal bearing and sophistication. The "Sir James" comes from the fact that in recognition of these special qualities, as well as his extraordinary musical gifts, he was knighted by the late President William Tubman of the Republic of Liberia.

From his rural beginnings in Brewton, Alabama, to the ivy-covered halls of Long Island University, to stardom in the legitiamte theater, night clubs, Las Vegas, movies and television, as an extensive world traveler and social activist, Sir James commands respect and attention wherever he goes. His imposing six four athletic frame is intimidating to some; his handsome features are a source of envy to others; his beautiful baritone singing voice inspires still more and yet, Sir James has the disarming charm of a diplomat and carries himself with ease and confidence of one bred to an elite aristocracy.

Why funk? For all of his sophistication, Sir James has the common touch, an uncanny ability to successfully communicate with poeple from all walks of life. Equally at home singing the music of Gershwin, Loesser and Bizet, for which he has recieved wide critical acclaim, he surprisingly makes a smooth transition into other forms of contemporary music. And with this album, he adapts his own compositions to the rhythms of contemporary funk and makes this mode of music his own while infusing it with his irrepressible sophistication and irresistible charm.

so but I picked it up for the cover. Sadly this is not a funk album.

• This is a pretty cool little album, but the songwriting seems a little
    plain and rushed compared to some of the other Holland-Dozier-Holland
    gems on Invictus.

Danny Woods was a member of Chairmen of The Board, and if you can say
    one thing you can say that this Lp is at least a lott better than
    that Harrison Kennedy solo album.

Another thing...some of these Invictus deep cuts, I swear I'm hearing
    Parliament-Funkadelic members on the rhythm section. Only on some
    of the songs, and I don't have any proof, it just seems like it.
    What I'm thinking of now is cutt 5 on Side One: "It Didn't Take Long".

• This is a pretty cool little album, but the songwriting seems a little
    plain and rushed compared to some of the other Holland-Dozier-Holland
    gems on Invictus.

'Specially when you consider that some of these tracks were lifted straight from Chairmen of the Board albums (particularly the tracks where he's singing lead).

Danny Woods was a member of Chairmen of The Board, and if you can say
    one thing you can say that this Lp is at least a lott better than
    that Harrison Kennedy solo album.

Harrison was the resident "black rocker" from the Chairmen, and I think he would have been happier if he were traded to Parliament. Yes, Harrison's album was filled with bizarre self-conscious protest songs about pollution, hypocrisy and gay tolerance (w/lots of acoustic guitar and sloppy harmonica) - it hardly gets any love, but I still dig it in spite of itself.

Another thing...some of these Invictus deep cuts, I swear I'm hearing
    Parliament-Funkadelic members on the rhythm section. Only on some
    of the songs, and I don't have any proof, it just seems like it.
    What I'm thinking of now is cutt 5 on Side One: "It Didn't Take Long".

Invictus/Hot Wax was more guitar-oriented than the average soul label. Damn near everything on that label sounds like a moonlighting P-Funk.