Home internet connection recommendation?

soulmarcosasoulmarcosa 4,296 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
I have dialup connection at home. Pity me. But tell me what I should get instead. Road Runner? Something through the phone company? Help. I know nothing.

Comments

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    I just had to deal with getting a new connection when I moved. I got some package from the phone company with DSL & long distance for like 50 a month. I'm pretty happy. but dude, how can you deal with dial-up?

• GrafwritahGrafwritah 4,184 Posts
    get cable and you can get cable + internet + a cool internet phone.

Cable is generally considered faster, but it fluctuates depending on how many people use it (you have shared bandwidth).

DSL is good, not quite so fast, but still broadband fast. It's affected by how far away from the phone switching station you are.

It also is like 5x faster downloading than uploading.

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    Anyone in the states using Verizon FISO?

http://www22.verizon.com/fiosforhome/channels/fios/HighSpeedInternetForHome.asp

$45 a month for Up to 15 Mbps/2 Mbps seems nice...

Mine is like $25

• edubedub 715 Posts
    Mine is like $25

yeah, but that's like the equivalent of $60 if you live in NYC

Mine is like $25

yeah, but that's like the equivalent of $60 if you live in NYC

Haha ... good point

Mine is like $25

Thats for 15/Download 2/upload? Thats a good deal then.

Mine is 3/dl 256k/upload. But it's part of my rent, so I don't pay for it.

Where are the Swedes & people in Asia that pay dirt cheap for 100Mbps/Download?? I wanna know whatcha got. Ur paying like 20 bucks a month for that shit right?

I work at a major uni and we only got 15Mbps down. Eventhough I know there are research labs here with 100/Mbps pipes.

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    steal wireless from your neighbors

Mine was on the slow side but then they bumped it up to "super high speed" broadband. I don't actually know what the definition of that is.

• bull_oxbull_ox 5,056 Posts
    Some real-world local stats Marco:

Roadrunner is what I've got right now... shit is like $48/month which is kinda outrageous as far as I'm concerned, but you can download shit crazy fast and load pages like whoa so it may be worth it to you

The DSL you get from the phone company is considerably cheaper- your monthly rate is determined by how much speed you want... I think the last time I had it it was $28/month and it was quite nearly the same speed as cable as far as accessing webpages and graphics and shit... downloads were slower but I'm not entirely convinced the cable is worth that difference... the HD's getting full anyway

BTW, I don't know naan about wireless shit... but apparantly if you have the capability it is easy to find access (and steal it) in your area... maybe not for you out in dirt road country though

steal wireless from your neighbors

Yes yes...ha>0r ur neighbors shit. Jumpin' on open wifi lines is alright to just surf and stuff. But I would never do it with work crap or using passwords/email/banking/etc stuff. Plus, people are starting to get hip around here with lockin' down their shit. The days are starting to go where lines were totally open...

But I see some cities in talks to have totally open free wifi city access. Goggle in talks with San Fran?? WOOT! Free wireless city wide... Nation wide... Will it happen anytime soon?

• Roadrunner is what I've got right now... shit is like $48/month which is kinda outrageous as far as I'm concerned, but you can download shit crazy fast and load pages like whoa so it may be worth it to you

Yeah your computer hookup is WAY faster than the DSL connection here at the office. I'm really not feeling $50/mo. pricetag but it looks like there's no way around it.

my understanding is that they can lock you out by password protecting it, but that once you are on a secure site they cant see your passwords or stuff like that.

Roadrunner is what I've got right now... shit is like $48/month which is kinda outrageous as far as I'm concerned, but you can download shit crazy fast and load pages like whoa so it may be worth it to you

Yeah your computer hookup is WAY faster than the DSL connection here at the office. I'm really not feeling $50/mo. pricetag but it looks like there's no way around it.

If you're talking about when the PC at my house was in the hallway/closet area, that was the $28 DSL line... I still think about switching back to that...

But I see some cities in talks to have totally open free wifi city access. Goggle in talks with San Fran?? WOOT! Free wireless city wide... Nation wide... Will it happen anytime soon?

Big business lobbyists are trying to prevent this from catching on... too much $$$ to be made...

my understanding is that they can lock you out by password protecting it, but that once you are on a secure site they cant see your passwords or stuff like that.

It's easy to set up various encryption on your router. Or even make your network hidden. And 4sure 99.9% of lines that you might jump on, the people have no clue ur on their open line or even what to do to stop you. But I've had a friend who jumped on the wrong line once and dude straight laced him. Changed all his passwords to email and banking. Didn't mess with his accounts. Just changed his passwords. Next day his network's name was "Don't ever go on my line again"

I've always told anyone, if ur not set on a secure network, don't be putting ur shit out there.

I know a guy who left his connection unlocked and someone went on and locked him out of his own wireless.

I know a guy who left his connection unlocked and someone went on and locked him out of his own wireless.

Really? But he could just do a hard reset on the router and fix that. As long as ur in control of the hardware.. Ain't no thang...

But I'm sure enough people just hook their router up to their modem and think, ok kewl... I got it working...

Not knowing to set an admin pass on their router and then encrypting their network...

Oh well... Nerdtalk101