tonearm causing skipping

keithvanhornkeithvanhorn 3,855 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
sorry to post this here, but i figured someone can probably give me a quick answer. at the place i will be djing tonite, there is one turntable that always skips. i set up my cartridge (shure m477) the same on both with weight, height, etc., yet the one consistently skips. fortunately, i am able to get around this problem by using Serato in relative mode. however, whenever i want to use regular vinyl i am screwed. any ideas as to how to troubleshoot what could be causing the problem?

Comments

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts
    Did you attempt to adjust the counterweight on the back of the tonearm? You might want to check your needles, as well.

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    sorry to post this here, but i figured someone can probably give me a quick answer. at the place i will be djing tonite, there is one turntable that always skips. i set up my cartridge (shure m477) the same on both with weight, height, etc., yet the one consistently skips. fortunately, i am able to get around this problem by using Serato in relative mode. however, whenever i want to use regular vinyl i am screwed. any ideas as to how to troubleshoot what could be causing the problem?

Yikes, not be an extremist but your problem may be bigger than you think. This happened to me once when I was spinnin at a club a couple years back. Hopefully its not that serious. But, if the tone arm skips no matter what needle you put on there, it could be something internal that no adjusting or change in weight will fix (at least I couldn't figure it out). I was attempting to cue up and nothing fixed the problem - I think the club just ended up getting a new turntable after that...

• Mike_BellMike_Bell 5,736 Posts

Yikes, not be an extremist but your problem may be bigger than you think. This happened to me once when I was spinnin at a club a couple years back. Hopefully its not that serious. But, if the tone arm skips no matter what needle you put on there, it could be something internal that no adjusting or change in weight will fix (at least I couldn't figure it out). I was attempting to cue up and nothing fixed the problem - I think the club just ended up getting a new turntable after that...
    Right, the tonearm may actually be damaged (bent). That would suck if that's the case.

• Put the head shell on the tone arm and adjust the counter weight so the arm floats. If it floats and moves towards the outside or the inside of the record adjust the skate. If you cannot get it to float and stand still your tone arm is fucked and will probably need to be replaced.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    and not to state the obvious, but have you tried taking off the counter-weight, putting everything to zero and then starting from scratch?

• Put the head shell on the tone arm and adjust the counter weight so the arm floats. If it floats and moves towards the outside or the inside of the record adjust the skate. If you cannot get it to float and stand still your tone arm is fucked and will probably need to be replaced.

it does float in (towards me), do you think adjusting the skate will actually do anything? i usually just have it set to zero.

• it's kinda glared out, but try taking a piece of folded paper and stuffing in the space (ayo!) where the tone arm swivels. It helps to stabilize the arm. Also make sure that the tonearm lock is engaged - shit get's all nimbly pimbly if it ain't

it does float in (towards me), do you think adjusting the skate will actually do anything? i usually just have it set to zero.

If it floats in, yes the skate may help, give it a try.

• JLRJLR 3,835 Posts
    Tonearm bearings could be misadjusted, but that would required a techie to do the job. Antiskating could be the problem too.

• Tonearm bearings could be misadjusted, but that would required a techie to do the job. Antiskating could be the problem too.

Yeah the bearings are a bigger problem if the skate doesn't work that is your problem. If you need it not to skip just crank up the weight and the hight and don't play rears on that side. burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrn

• FatbackFatback 6,746 Posts

it's kinda glared out, but try taking a piece of folded paper and stuffing in the space (ayo!) where the tone arm swivels. It helps to stabilize the arm. Also make sure that the tonearm lock is engaged - shit get's all nimbly pimbly if it ain't

yes