Steel band appreciation

prof_rockwellprof_rockwell 2,867 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
COTDAM!

Listening to this New Bermuda Stealers "Life" LP I got yesterday, and it is soooo funky! These guys must have been blowing wigs in the hotel circuit....

Comments

• 2001's got a little break on it too...

also wicked...
    cool version of sissy strut

got dubs of the life if anyone needs...

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    COTDAM!

Listening to this New Bermuda Stealers "Life" LP I got yesterday, and it is soooo funky! These guys must have been blowing wigs in the hotel circuit....

yessssss!!

thanks to the drum kit.

i just snatched this a couple weeks ago.

here's a 320kbps rip of my fave track from the album, "soul train" its from a comp i threw together.

http://s48.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=2DH0Y0L9U307Y33WOO5RRFSIJS

• Options

Steel Drum 12's count?

Just curious, but how many Steel Band records have you heard?

Kevin.

• jaymackjaymack 5,199 Posts
    esso band has a couple joints.

• esso band has a couple joints.

YES! I got one of their joints, the cover is a picture of them in the street if I recall. It's in storage so I can't get to it right now...

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

• My homegirl Jesse grew up in the Virgin Islands (forever biggin' up Cruzan Rum); her mom taught Timmy Duncan in junior high and she has tons of hilarious stories about growing up on the island.

Her mom remarried a TriniMan named Roy. One year for Christmas, Jesse's mom got her a steel drum and Roy flipped when he saw it.

"Who causin' all dis problem wit a steel pan?"

It seemed like a harmless gift, but Roy continued to go off.

"In Trinidad, only badman play steel pan. And if him play real good, you know him real tough!"

Jesse asked, "Why? 'Cause he practices steel pan all day?"

I'm still in the dark about this. Who can speak on the true badman nature of skilled steel drummers? Magnetic? K in Canadad?

• I'm soooo in love with all the matching outfits on these covers!!

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    the original tropicana steel band lp with "calypso rock"!!!

• the original tropicana steel band lp with "calypso rock"!!!

tropicana like the fruit company?

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    rockwell-its ike a $50 record on ebay...dunno if its related to the juice but i'm guessing it is (ie: coca cola steel, esso steel, etc.) This record has like 3 solid play out joints and the track "calypso rock" is the best steel funk track i have ever heard. The best drums on a steel record...so loud.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts

alan hawkshaw produced this

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i heard it was brian bennett...my copy doesn't have either listed though.

• rockwell-its ike a $50 record on ebay...dunno if its related to the juice but i'm guessing it is (ie: coca cola steel, esso steel, etc.)

yeah, I was just curious about some of the corporate sponsorship of these bands, but guess it goes hand in hand with the tourist industry. Could be the name of the hotel they played at too...There was/is a Tropicana in Las Vegas...

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    rockwell-its ike a $50 record on ebay...dunno if its related to the juice but i'm guessing it is (ie: coca cola steel, esso steel, etc.)

yeah, I was just curious about some of the corporate sponsorship of these bands, but guess it goes hand in hand with the tourist industry. Could be the name of the hotel they played at too...There was/is a Tropicana in Las Vegas...

No way is Tropicana the orange juice. The hotel thing is probably right. I'm sure there's still quite a few Tropicana hotels around the caribbean.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    I have a different cover for that OTSB...the one on Peters International with the closeup of the guy's hands hitting the pan

• spivyspivy 866 Posts
    i have this one too...us press instead of uk!

• got Calypso Rock,Cissy Strut,Hold on I'm Coming,Do Your thing,Aint no Sunshine plus more on it.

• Options
    The only jam worth having on that is the proper 45 version of "Devils Out Tonight". It's sad that McKnight was brutally shot while trying to break of a domestic dispute at his neighbours. Heard he was good man.

K in Canada.

• ElectrodeElectrode Los Angeles 3,085 Posts
    It's sad that McKnight was brutally shot while trying to break of a domestic dispute at his neighbours.

The house on the LP cover?

• Options
    Likely. It was in Cali.

K.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts

This Igniters Explode LP has a cool cover of The Godfather theme.

• Options
    Some of you guys listen to doo doo.

K.

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts

This Igniters Explode LP has a cool cover of The Godfather theme.

I have to say the fire on the cover is not replicated inside. Big disappointment. Cool cover though

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    not feelin it.