hate to get political (non rr)

davesrecordsdavesrecords 1,802 Posts
edited April 2005 in Strut Central
But i feel there are a lot of people on here who aren't liking what's going on:Here's an email I got from my somebody....Dear Friend,Even though you may tire of my forwards about various bizarre things the Republicans have been doing, this is the one really important thing I want to bring to your attention. If this passes, we are all going to be unhappy with the things that get rammed down our throats. Since Jefferson???s time, political parties have used the filibuster to stop the appointment of judges as well as to temporize about other legislation. It is the only weapon that Senate minority parties have because 60 votes are required to override it (or bring about cloture). It is not always a good thing. Back in the 1950s and 1960s, Strom Thurmond used it to keep civil rights legislation from passing; as recently as the Clinton administration, the minority Republicans used it to make sure the President did not get his choices appointed to the court. And last year the Senate stopped the renewal of the assault weapon ban with a filibuster. Now, the Senate leadership is trying unilaterally to force the end of the filibuster. This is called the ???nuclear option??? because it will so hopelessly change the checks and balances of our government and leave no way for discussion or reasonable compromise on legislature going through congress. The purpose: to force votes on 10 federal judges ??? the only 10 rejected by the Democrats last term-- and now being bullied through the Senate again in spite of serious objections to their records. If just 51 senators vote against eliminating the filibuster we can defeat it and protect our courts from extremist judges. ??Call your senators and ask them to stand up for democracy. (Go to for telephone numbers and other contact info)Simply say to whomever answers the phone: ???I urge Senator_______to oppose the ???nuclear option??? and keep courts fair by requiring the judges have broad support in the Senate. Thank you.??? ??Call other reasonable senators who are not willing to go along with the nuclear option. They need to know that we support their efforts to decide things for themselves rather then to be bullied into making a bad choice for democracy. There are several states with moderate Republican senators who might vote against the nuclear option being pushed through by their leadership: Senators Snowe (ME), McCain (AZ), and Chafee (RI) are likely to vote against eliminating the filibuster but need support, and Senators Specter (PA), Collins (ME), Smith (OR), Warner (VA), Sununu (NH), Hagel (NE) are possible votes but need persuasion. But all senators need to hear from us: firm opponents of the filibuster need to know that the public is paying attention, and reliable supporters need to know that if they stand up and fight, including resisting if the nuclear option passes, we've got their backs. Below is a list of those senators who appear to be having problems swallowing the leadership's extreme position on this issue. Please call their DC office number. If you feel more comfortable emailing them, please do so at the addresses listed. Please note that THESE ARE WEB ADDRESSES AND NOT EMAIL ADDRESSES, except for Senator Snowe and if your email program doesn't support html, go to your browser and paste in the addresses to send email . Snowe (ME) -- (202) 224-5344; Email:olympia@snowe.senate.gov> McCain (AZ) -- (202) 224-2235; Chafee (RI) -- (202) 224-2921; Hagel (NE) ??? (202) 224-4224; Specter (PA) -- (202) 224-4254; Collins (ME) -- (202) 224-2523; Smith (OR) -- (202) 224-3753; Warner (VA) -- (202) 224-2023; Sununu (NH) -- (202) 224-2841;. We can thank each other very much if the nuclear option doesn't go off.peace dave

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I hand delivered my letter to my R Senator's local office today.

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    And guess who's got the tie-breaking vote?

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    i called arlen specter today and got his office lady hyped about fighting the filthy santorum's of the universe

• This is called the ???nuclear option??? because it will so hopelessly change the checks and balances of our government and leave no way for discussion or reasonable compromise on legislature going through congress.

con??ser??va??tive
    adj.

1. Favoring traditional views and values; tending to oppose change.

n.

1. One favoring traditional views and values.