Miers Withdraws (SCR)

funky16cornersfunky16corners 7,175 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Harriet Miers has withdrawn her nomination to the Supreme Court....I can't wait to see who he picks next.

Comments

• sabadabadasabadabada 5,966 Posts
    i think its to try and divert attention from these possible indictments

• You may be right, but if Rove gets indicted they'll have to do something a lot more drastic than that to divert attention.

• "sabadabada"

i would be firm, but fair.

• I can't wait to see who he picks next.

tweedle dee

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Damn, that's embarrassing! Good riddance.

• Now we're really fucked.

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    I can't wait to see who he picks next.

she should be the not a good look greamlin

I said picks, not f***s.....

Ready everyone.....EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW.....

• girgir 329 Posts

lady looks like she had an unfortunate run in with the plastic surgeon from "brazil."

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Harriet Miers has withdrawn her nomination to the Supreme Court....

Brace yourself for the wingnuttiest far-right wacko Bush can find. He pissed off his "base" (read: Dobsonites, people who actually take Ann Coulter seriously, and assorted other doofs) with Miers and needs to win them back, pronto. Also, he's drowning in a shitstorm and needs a distraction big-time.

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts

That actually is pretty funny, Adam...

• Agent45Agent45 451 Posts
    You may be right, but if Rove gets indicted they'll have to do something a lot more drastic than that to divert attention.

Invasion of Syria in 5...4...3...

i just hope its someone young - like 40.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    i just hope its someone young - like 40.

EARL FOR SUPREME COURT!

yo Enki, there's actually some talk that dropping Miers makes Bush et al look bad for folding to pressure from the religious right. pundits are sayin the next nomination will have to be more moderate to retain the illusion that the church doesn't run the country...

pundits are sayin the next nomination will have to be more moderate to retain the illusion that the church doesn't run the country...

dont count on it

• No one liked the Miers pick other than Bush

i think she was a weather balloon anyways. Maybe it was to see how the religious element played or just to draw fire I don't know. She was the likely person because that was kind of her job anyway as part of selecting who it would be.

Harriet taking one for the team.

• Harriet Miers has withdrawn her nomination to the Supreme Court....

Brace yourself for the wingnuttiest far-right wacko Bush can find. He pissed off his "base" (read: Dobsonites, people who actually take Ann Coulter seriously, and assorted other doofs) with Miers and needs to win them back, pronto. Also, he's drowning in a shitstorm and needs a distraction big-time.

why were they pissed off at the miers pick ? because she wasn't religious enough or something ?

• canonicalcanonical 2,100 Posts

lady looks like she had an unfortunate run in with the plastic surgeon from "brazil."
    Ha!

It's interesting that for an international website, there is a lot of discussion on American politics (which is a good thing). I guess it's a testament to how important that nation is...

• Harriet Miers has withdrawn her nomination to the Supreme Court....

why were they pissed off at the miers pick ? because she wasn't religious enough or something ?

Exactamundo...

• motown67motown67 4,513 Posts
    i think she was a weather balloon anyways. Maybe it was to see how the religious element played or just to draw fire I don't know. She was the likely person because that was kind of her job anyway as part of selecting who it would be.

Harriet taking one for the team.

I disagree. Bush had no reason to piss off his own party by nominating her. I think it just shows how remmoved the administration was at the time. Bush's White House has always been top down, business management style, filled with basically yes men/women. See Iraq with the exception of former Sec. of State Powell, Katrina, etc. He picked her because that's the kind of personnel he picks. It was going to be her or Alberto Gonzalez probably, but the White House knew that a lot of conservatives didn't like him because of his stance on abortion so they went with Meirs. Shit blew up in their faces for so many reasons. His own party turned on him for: 1) Cronyism, 2) Lack of experience, 3) No record on conservative issues such as abortion, etc. Almost all the grass roots conservative groups went against her and the Republican Congress was none to pleased either.

The big question now will be whether he chooses to pick someone like Roberts who is a traditional conservative but will get the support of most people in Congress from both sides of the ailse, or whether he'll go with an ideologue like Thomas, Scalia or Bork to gain back his base because he's getting fucked on everything else he's tried this term (ie Iraq, CIA leak case, Katrina, Social Security reform - remember that one!).

As a little follow up here are some extracts from conservatives who turned against Bush for the Miers appointment.

"(Bush) has neither the inclination nor the ability to make sophisticated judgments about competing approaches to construing the Constitution"

"The president has forfeited his right to be trusted as a custodian of the Constitution."

George F. Will in a column

"It is very hard to avoid the conclusion that President Bush flinched from a fight on constitutional philosophy. ... What are the prospects for a strong Bush seconed term? What are the prospects for holding solid GOP majorities in Congress in 2006 if conservatives are demoralized?"

William Kristol in the Weekly Standard

"We've swallowed policies we might otherwise have objected to because we've believed that he and those around him are themselves conservatives trying to do the right thing against sometimes terrible odds. We've been there for him because we've considered ourselves part of his team. No more."

"The fact is, from the beginning there have been a number of things that conservatives have been either leery of, or upset with, the way the Bush administration has proceeded."

"It was the promise to move the Supreme Court decidedly to the right that motivated many conservatives to vote in record numbers in the 2004 election."

"The Bush folks told conservatives explicitly, maybe you don't like the spending, maybe you disagree with out foreign policy or the war in Iraq, or the Patriot Act, but this is about the Supreme Court. This is what George Bush said he was going to do, to get someone in the mold of Scalia and Thomas."

David Keene, Chairmen of the American Conservative Union

I think you get a pretty good feeling of betrayal in those statements.

This is also a breakdown of how fast the conservatives turned against Miers and Bush based upon an article in today's Washington Post.

Bush nominates Meirs at 8am on Sept. 29

Laura Ingraham, a conservative talk show host criticized Miers at 9am on her radio show.

William Kristol, editor of the neocon Weekly Standard criticized the nomination on Fox News at 9am as well.

David Frum, writes for the National Review, attacked the nomination on the Review's blog.

Frum also helped form Americans for Better Justice, which raised $300,000 to run anti-Miers commercials.

Yep, the Miers nomination definitely sounds like a "trial baloon" to me.