Dutch media discover 'rare groove'

SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
Suddenly all the newspaper, national television and radio are trying to explain - what is this 'rare groove' thing? In fact 'rare' means 'weird' in Dutch, and I usually prefer this interpretation, cause i rather hear a weird groove than a raer groove. Can't hear rarity...Anyway, it's all because of this comp: Dutch Rare GrooveIn fact, a lot of the featured records are not raer at all - in the Dutchlands that is - some real dollar bin material - but nice tracks nvrthlss. It also features a cd where c-mon and the kyp cut'n'paste the out of it I heard some guys were working on a dutch 60's-70's jazz comp - wich should be a lot more interesting - is anyone up on this?

Comments

• The Raise UpThe Raise Up Golden Years... wah wah wah 452 Posts
    Where exactly in the media did you see anything about this? I'm Dutch but have yet to see or read anything about it anywhere (I was aware of the comp btw).

• Nice post/link. I've seen the comp in the shop and I think it's a good one.

In fact, a lot of the featured records are not raer at all - in the Dutchlands that is - some real dollar bin material - but nice tracks nvrthlss.

6 or 7 records you see in that link are not raer, those turn up in dollar bins now and then, but hey, there are some 6 other records featured that I dare you to find at all! That Rob Franken Organization record is seriously difficult (have seen 3 in 10 years, only 1 "in the wild") to find and the Fred van Zegveld record too (have also seen 3 in all those years). And I didn't even mention Reality yet!

Interesting, the upcomming jazz CD.

Where exactly in the media did you see anything about this?

There was an item on this yesterday on Television.

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    zegveld, rob franken, marva hodge, dave pike and swinging soul machine are common records in the netherlands? wanna trade or sell any of those? please send me a pm!

• GropeGrope 2,970 Posts
    that compilation is probably dope. but hearing the zegveld lp alone should be more interesting.

• that compilation is probably dope. but hearing the zegveld lp alone should be more interesting.

Where exactly in the media did you see anything about this?

There was an item on this yesterday on Television.

Must have missed that, now that I think of it, there was a show about it on the 3voor12 site a while ago.

• SwayzeSwayze 14,705 Posts
    Where exactly in the media did you see anything about this? I'm Dutch but have yet to see or read anything about it anywhere (I was aware of the comp btw).

NRC handelsblad, Nl3, Radio 1, 3FM and tonight in 'De wereld draait door' NL3

NRC handelsblad, Nl3, Radio 1, 3FM and tonight in 'De wereld draait door' NL3

Damn I miss out on too much I'll be sure to check NL3 tonight though, thanks!

i think it's a good thing the dollar bin and real raers are both on this comp - but wonder if it's gonna spark a diggin' frenzy overhere

i think it's a good thing the dollar bin and real raers are both on this comp - but wonder if it's gonna spark a diggin' frenzy overhere

I doubt it, but it could probably cause for the prices on some records to be jacked up.

• Has there not been a Dutch 'Raer Groove' compilation before...?

You'd think there would be heaps of good stuff for a few.. Correct...?
    I have no idea to be honest. The Dutch things I have are mostly weirded jazz ECM type stuff...

Has there not been a Dutch 'Raer Groove' compilation before...?

YEP: da real beatdigger's Nou Break Mijn Klomp - not a real comp though, strictly breaks

• Has there not been a Dutch 'Raer Groove' compilation before...?

You'd think there would be heaps of good stuff for a few.. Correct...?
    I have no idea to be honest. The Dutch things I have are mostly weirded jazz ECM type stuff...

I don't think there was one. There was some sort of beat-mix earlier, but I'm not really into that. There are not that many good Dutch groove records. Taken into account how small the country is, it's probably a decent score. "Nederbeat" is really what's been alive here and that's a whole different scene and all those 45's are already in 50+ years old collectors hands who own motorcycles and look down on any music with more than 3 chords. Belgium has always been more exciting groove-wise.

For example, the Fred van Zegveld monster hammond groover was recorded by accident because the band who was booked for the studio didn't show up so Fred was around and just layed down these amazing tracks. Otherwise no label would have invested in that kind of thing.

Well, I'm no expert so correct me if I'm wrong.

• MeepMeep 320 Posts
    Nice touch when they're talking about Oscar Harris 'yea, I think he just died' when he recorded a new track for the remix album.

*edit* ok just realized this show wasn't related to the comp, but still....

• LamontLamont 1,089 Posts

Have they released vol. 2 & 3 yet ??

• Have they released vol. 2 & 3 yet ??

hI THERE,

I'M STILL WORKING ON PART 2 NOW ! ! ! GOT SOME SERIOUS BEATS AGAIN...
    ANYWAY, OSCAR IS STILL ALIVE, IN FACT HE'S GONNA PERFORM TONIGHT TOGETHER
    WITH THE LEFTIES SOUL CONNECTION ON THE OFFICIAL CD RELEASE OF "DUTCH RARE GROOVE" IN AMSTERDAM... WANNA COME OVER? LET ME KNOW, I'LL PUT YOU ON THE GUEST-LIST (FOR THOSE DUTCH DUDES OR PEOPLE WHO ARE NEAR A'DAM TONIGHT...)
    I WILL BE DJ'ING OVER THERE & PLAY THOSE MORE RARER DUTCH GROOVES...
    IT'S GONNA BE FUN... ALSO MORE DUTCH ARTISTS FROM THE '70'S ARE COMING OVER TO JAM ( RUMOURS GO FRED VAN ZEGVELD IS COMING, TOO...)

LATER,

MR ZIMMS

• hI THERE,

Good luck tonight!

• OlskiOlski 355 Posts

• mfpmfp 1 Post
    I heard some guys were working on a dutch 60's-70's jazz comp - wich should be a lot more interesting - is anyone up on this?

We (MFP Collective / Flyin' High Records) are working on a dutch jazz comp to be released next year. Any others doing the same thing?