Latin American Funk

llmod1llmod1 317 Posts
edited October 2005 in Strut Central
After picking up a couple of bits of Latin American Funk on my trip to SF I was wondering what other jewels are out there.I'm talking about Latin American bands doing funk tracks or covers not funky latin music if you understand what I mean.Anyone have any recommendations??

Comments

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I don't know about latin american (specifically) but paging Hotsauce??? Is Tucson in the house?

• BigSpliffBigSpliff 3,266 Posts
    Tuscon ain't funky.... is it?

Ray Barretto, Fania Allstars, Mongo, Bataan....
    various Latinaires
    Bobby Marin
    Via Libre
    Hierro
    Chocolat
    Cal Tjader
    Chico Gilberto
    Banda Macho
    Gerson King

• Options

That record is everywhere!

K.

• Danno3000Danno3000 2,850 Posts

K.

Yeah, I have 13 storestock copies. I found them in Bouctouche.

• pcmrpcmr 5,591 Posts
    Heres a pretty funky track from bossafunk peru group Bossa70
    Check the opening break
    http://s55.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0BARXYQWEUBKJ1GJABMUZI7DU6

• I have the LP from this group and there is some good salsa on it. The title track is a little ho-hum for me though.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    TuCSon ain't funky.... is it?

Unfortunately, no.

I do have a few recommendations, though, mostly Tejano/ranchero groups that might've had one or two funky cuts:

Sunny & The Sunliners[/b] (Key-Loc)
    This Is My Band (pretty much all funk but raer and expen$ive)
    The Missing Link (same as above)
    Sky High (cover of "Get Ready" and "Dance To The Music")
    ...and another "live" album whose title escapes me but has a couple funky cuts

Richard & The Sun Demons[/b] (Buena Suerte)
    Ni En Defensa Propia (covers of "Sing A Simple Song" and "Groove Me")

Jr. & The Preludes[/b] (S & R)
    One Night With... (Cover of "Papa's Got A Brand New Bag" and "Don't Fight It")

Vida E Inspiracion[/b] (Decca)
    S/T ("Tema Vida E Inspiracion")

There's also Tortilla Factory, Joe Bravo, Latinaires and a whole lot more I'm forgetting. I KNOW there's dudes on here that are deep in this genre. Hopefully they'll see this thread.

Herm

• DJCireDJCire 729 Posts
    I don't know about latin american (specifically) but paging Hotsauce??? Is Tucson in the house?

I didn't mean to check out NonExistingTucsonFunk, just meant that I know H*rm knows some ish and could help......! Damn, I need to go to T*cson.... Its been a while...

• Options

K.

Yeah, I have 13 storestock copies. I found them in Bouctouche.

Want 14?

K.

• llmod1 said:
    After picking up a couple of bits of Latin American Funk on my trip to SF I was wondering what other jewels are out there.I'm talking about Latin American bands doing funk tracks or covers not funky latin music if you understand what I mean.Anyone have any recommendations??

Hi,

Absolutely, If you're into Latin American funk, check out Los Amigos Invisibles from Venezuela—they infuse funk elements into their music. For a Brazilian twist, Banda Black Rio and Azymuth are fantastic choices. Also, delve into the Colombian scene with the powerful funk sounds of Batata y su Rumba Palenquera. Each band brings a unique flavor to Latin American funk, ensuring a vibrant and diverse musical journey. Enjoy exploring these groovy gems.

ketan