Record Shop Dude - Good Records

2»

Comments

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Big_Stacks said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    james said:

But yeah, very cool video, though it furthers my long-held suspicion that the narration on Impalaville involved a computerized voice modulation and/or heavy mood lighting.

Both, in fact. And copious amounts of Negra Modelo.

Hey Jonny,

Tell me about it, mane, as I have been faded on more than one occasion at Good Records NYC. ;-)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Next Soul Strut Listening Session?

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Dante said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Guzzo said:
    cadeaux said:
    yuichi said:
    I must say, JP has superior taste....i bet he could sell records all day reviewing records like that in front of a camera....

I think imma cop that Le mystere jazz rec.

Great idea! Johnny Paychecks presents "Good Records TV": " You better cop that records now, only 10 records in stock, and 5 minutes left"
    I would let that run 24 hours.

Once upon a time there was talk of this happening...

More recently I batted the record-dude-TV-show idea around with a friend who's in the biz and got to the point of actually shooting footage. But ultimately nothing came of it, and I came to the conclusion that I neither had the free time nor the passion necessary to make it happen.

Whoever finally does the record-pickers show will probably be more a TV persona than a record nerd. I'm not that guy.
    Despite my quirky charm and roguish good looks.

If anyone wants to come film 5 minute vignettes of my lame attempts at humor and endorsements of totally mundane records that I listen to on a regular basis, I'm always down. (page me)

i'd watch that. or a record-related stand up routine - vignette, louie style.
    I didn't wanna get into this, but my friend and I have finished shooting a pilot exactly like this. Stay tuned er'body.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    Cool story bro.

One of my main objections was that if a show like this was successful, it would make digging even more grueling than it's ever been.

I hope you're prepared for that...

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

One of my main objections was that if a show like this was successful, it would make digging even more grueling than it's ever been.

I am concerned about that, and have been thinking about that a lot, and more than anything else, I'm not really trying to educate people how to dig. Basics, like "This is a scratched to shit record," yes. Which records are worth money? No. I'm selling game, I'm not telling game.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Cool story bro.

not if it's done right.

who would want to be like a middle aged guy with a beard and dirty clothes who complains all the time about record prices?

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    james said:

(p.s.: Just the week before last, soulstrut's own z_illa and I were talking about Ski and that Lonnie Liston Smith. Real/broke heads know.)

Not sure how to embed, but I shot this during soundcheck at a show a couple months ago. I went on the road with Ski, Murs, Tabi Bonney, etc. for two months. Ski is one cool ass dude. The last day of the tour landed on the same night as my weekly. So it was the wrap party for the tour coupled with my return to my semi-successful weekly. Ski jumped on the mic and became my hype man the entire night. One of the best nights of my life.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150590563302569

I also have footage of a hilariously drunken Ski terrorizing and "shanking" everybody on the tour bus at 4am (Blood In Blood Out was the official movie of the tour), but I'm keeping that to myself.

• Hotsauce84Hotsauce84 8,450 Posts
    And here's him and The Senseis doing a ragtime version of "Just A Friend." Unfortunately I couldn't get my camera on quick enough for his emo rock song nor his folk songs about frolicking leprechauns.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150596594332569

The_Non said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

I am concerned about that, and have been thinking about that a lot, and more than anything else, I'm not really trying to educate people how to dig. Basics, like "This is a scratched to shit record," yes. Which records are worth money? No. I'm selling game, I'm not telling game.

Honestly, I think that distinction is lost on most people. Any show like this is going to sensationalize the game - that's the whole point.

I think Wax Poetics has a show like this in the can too...

• DORDOR Two Ron Toe 9,899 Posts
    I would watch a JP/Good show!

My friends (Arcee + Kaewonder + Dj Serious) do a podcast at cratery.com which tend to have special guest. I've always thought they should mix this with a webTV version, just traveling around the world going into stores, peoples cribs or other locations and doing this type of format.

• Had a sketch many years ago for a diggers game show ala jeopardy but funny.

Not enough hours in te day

4YearGraduate said:
    Had a sketch many years ago for a diggers game show ala jeopardy but funny.

PARTY ON

and the thread comes full circle

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    DOR said:
    I would watch a JP/Good show!

My friends (Arcee + Kaewonder + Dj Serious) do a podcast at cratery.com which tend to have special guest. I've always thought they should mix this with a webTV version, just traveling around the world going into stores, peoples cribs or other locations and doing this type of format.

Thanks for reminding me about this podcast/blog, I totally forgot about it.
    Now I have many months of their mixes to catch up on.
    Stoked!