Record Shop Dude - Good Records

phongonephongone 1,652 Posts
edited March 2012 in Strut Central
Caught this on the EgoTrip website, Johnny's pretty funny. Whose got that "Return of Bruno" joint?

Comments

• OkemOkem 4,617 Posts
    Has it really been 7 years!?

Damn time flies.

• cpeetzcpeetz 2,112 Posts
    Sklute I thought you were a Cal fan?
    Nobody looks good in Huskie purple, NOBODY.
    Not even Big Chan and he looks good in everything.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    Never even THOUGHT of dropping the needle on that LLS record.

• Jonny_PaycheckJonny_Paycheck 17,825 Posts
    that shit is classy dude. I'm not even totally joking about the smooth jazz.

• CousinLarryCousinLarry 4,618 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    that shit is classy dude. I'm not even totally joking about the smooth jazz.

= "Trying to move stock!"

haha. I actually sold that and the Dr. Dre within hours of shooting, had to break out my personal copies for b-roll footage

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    I must say, JP has superior taste....i bet he could sell records all day reviewing records like that in front of a camera....

I think imma cop that Le mystere jazz rec.

Jonny_Paycheck said:
    haha. I actually sold that and the Dr. Dre within hours of shooting, had to break out my personal copies for b-roll footage

= building perception of demand

You are one hell of a business man.

• yuichiyuichi Urban sprawl 11,331 Posts
    well i guess, he does sell records all day. (with or without a review) lol

CousinLarry said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:

= building perception of demand

You are one hell of a business man.

dude I fucking amaze myself sometimes.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Berkeley to Wall Street to the Return of Bruno.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    This just in:

Warren G "The G Child" bought 16 records from Good yesterday??? one of which was the coveted wall of fame record, Return of Bruno.

Jonny_Paycheck said:

dude I fucking amaze myself sometimes.

As he pulls another sealed copy of Bruno from a box behind the counter. "Dude, your lucky. This is the last one. From my personal collection."

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    cpeetz said:
    Sklute I thought you were a Cal fan?
    Nobody looks good in Huskie purple, NOBODY.
    Not even Big Chan and he looks good in everything.

LOL! Jonny, don't listen to this guy. He is an Oregon fan! The hat is a very good look! Go Dawgs!!!!!!

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I bought that Mali reish from Jonny and agree whole-heartedly - it is a beautiful beautiful record.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Hey,

Simple and plain, Jonny Paychecks is that dude! He has blessed me lovely on the vinyl tip since I arrived in NJ back in 2007. I have gripped nothing but heat out of his store, and I'm thankful for him being in business. I support Good Records NYC to the fullest!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• edith headedith head 5,106 Posts
    i really have no idea why people are using facebook more to post news about their friends & acquaintances.

• cadeauxcadeaux 208 Posts
    yuichi said:
    I must say, JP has superior taste....i bet he could sell records all day reviewing records like that in front of a camera....

Great idea! Johnny Paychecks presents "Good Records TV": " You better cop that records now, only 10 records in stock, and 5 minutes left"
    I would let that run 24 hours.

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Smooth Jazz.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    I support Good Records NYC to the fullest!!!

Concur. You must bless the GODZ with a bottle of Jameson whence rolling through. Hopefully I will be out there in a few weeks with a ceremonial offering.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Give the man his own show.

Seriously, someone needs to flip Bobbito's Soundcheck (always the best thing in Vibe) and do it as a web series.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    TRENDING

• GuzzoGuzzo 8,611 Posts
    cadeaux said:
    yuichi said:

Great idea! Johnny Paychecks presents "Good Records TV": " You better cop that records now, only 10 records in stock, and 5 minutes left"

Once upon a time there was talk of this happening...

Guzzo said:
    cadeaux said:
    yuichi said:

More recently I batted the record-dude-TV-show idea around with a friend who's in the biz and got to the point of actually shooting footage. But ultimately nothing came of it, and I came to the conclusion that I neither had the free time nor the passion necessary to make it happen.

Whoever finally does the record-pickers show will probably be more a TV persona than a record nerd. I'm not that guy.
    Despite my quirky charm and roguish good looks.

If anyone wants to come film 5 minute vignettes of my lame attempts at humor and endorsements of totally mundane records that I listen to on a regular basis, I'm always down. (page me)

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:
    Bobbito's Soundcheck
    Oh, man. A key influence on late-teen james. I actually bought (at retail!) every issue of the first several years of Vibe, and though I've long since jettisoned most of them, somewhere I have a bulging accordion folder full of clipped Bobbito (and Rob Kenner) columns.

But yeah, very cool video, though it furthers my long-held suspicion that the narration on Impalaville involved a computerized voice modulation and/or heavy mood lighting.

(p.s.: Just the week before last, soulstrut's own z_illa and I were talking about Ski and that Lonnie Liston Smith. Real/broke heads know.)

james said:

But yeah, very cool video, though it furthers my long-held suspicion that the narration on Impalaville involved a computerized voice modulation and/or heavy mood lighting.

Both, in fact. And copious amounts of Negra Modelo.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    If anyone wants to come film 5 minute vignettes of my lame attempts at humor and endorsements of totally mundane records that I listen to on a regular basis, I'm always down.
    What's your policy regarding nudity? I might know some people.

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    Guzzo said:
    cadeaux said:
    yuichi said:

More recently I batted the record-dude-TV-show idea around with a friend who's in the biz and got to the point of actually shooting footage. But ultimately nothing came of it, and I came to the conclusion that I neither had the free time nor the passion necessary to make it happen.

Whoever finally does the record-pickers show will probably be more a TV persona than a record nerd. I'm not that guy.
    Despite my quirky charm and roguish good looks.

If anyone wants to come film 5 minute vignettes of my lame attempts at humor and endorsements of totally mundane records that I listen to on a regular basis, I'm always down. (page me)

i'd watch that. or a record-related stand up routine - vignette, louie style.

james said:
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    If anyone wants to come film 5 minute vignettes of my lame attempts at humor and endorsements of totally mundane records that I listen to on a regular basis, I'm always down.
    What's your policy regarding nudity?

no shirt, no shoes, no service.

but, conversely: no head, no backstage pass.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    Jonny_Paycheck said:
    james said:

Both, in fact. And copious amounts of Negra Modelo.

Hey Jonny,

Tell me about it, mane, as I have been faded on more than one occasion at Good Records NYC. ;-)

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak