Should I go back to school?

buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
edited January 2012 in Strut Central
Uh, well... I'm just looking for some anecdotal advice, 2 cents, hard evidence, school songs, whatever...

In my case:
I'm closing in on 30. I work a laid back, although admittedly pointless job in the service industry. But then again I get grown up stuff like health benefits, paid time off, and other such perks. It affords me my own mid-century spacious one-bedroom in a vibrant urban neighborhood, organic groceries + an adequate enough eating out budget, and a small bit of spending money that I usually blow on records and my girlfriend. I also have the luxury of not thinking or giving a fuck about my job when I'm off the clock. One scary fact is that I've worked with numerous with college grads in a variety of fields, lots of whom find jobs but don't take them - or do but still work with me- because their new college jobs pay so crappy and/or provide such miserable working environments.

Student loan debt seems a true blue nightmare.

I like my situation fine. I like not feeling boxed in or cornered, but on the flip side, I have only a minimal nest-egg and currently could never dream of owning a house or car or starting a family or retiring with dignity. I have a shitty old TV with no cable but I have accepted my bohemian leanings and understand I'm not striving for those things to be happy. I feel like I'd be ok living like this until I'm an old man.
But that doesn't mean its not discontenting in some ways, not having much concrete to show for your self. Things might be easy going, but I know this is certainly a rut I'm peering out of. Not only that, shouldn't people of able mind and body try to do more important and stimulating things? I feel like a finishing a degree is the best ticket out of the workaday, work to eat and buy records and movie tickets doldrums. But is that a lie? Talk to me Strut about the higher-education bubble, or your sister-in-law with a marketing degree who owns a luxury condo in Singapore. Or tell me I'm a ghey clown and clown me. Its 2012, is college still worth it?

Oh yeah, PS, I'm only doing this because my girl is out of town and I had too much premium sake with my dinner. Usually we'd split the bottle you see...

Comments

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    It's a lie. Don't take out student loans. Sounds like you have a decent life. Just cruise until you get your inheritance, then retire somewhere warm.

• It sounds like you want to go to Grad school? What do you want to study? Your loan debt will most likely be higher than your income but you have the rest of your life to pay that shit off. I did a two year Certificate program at a community college. Little to no debt and it got me on the career path I'm on currently. School is fun. I say go

• I'm in grad school right now. My job pays for part of it and I got a scholarship that pays for the rest. It's free for me.

I have no idea how it will affect my future. Hopefully it will be a benefit. Either way, it's free. I'm in library school.

I work full time and have a 2 year old. We've got a son on the way in 2 weeks. Ita manageable, but it sucks. I hate school. Some parts are ok, but doing schoolwork after doing everything else sucks.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    You mention you like not being boxed in but it could definitely be argued that if you don't have a college degree, you will be boxed in by your lack of employment options in the future. You're still relatively young but almost at the point where it's going to be much harder to go back to get a degree. I bring up you being young also because you have quite a few years left in life and it's very likely that it will become harder and harder to find employment without a college degree. You may be comfortable with your situation right now but think about where you will be 20-30 years down the road.

I'd say either go to the cheapest state school as possible and graduate as cheaply and quickly as possible with a degree in anything that interests you just so you have a degree. That or try to get in the best possible school that you can and major in something technical that will guarantee you employment upon graduation. Given the description of your current situation you are probably better off with the first option.

In regards to your experience with new college graduates, I have to say that is a product of an entitled generation that has been fed a load of bullshit. In a shitty economy like we're in right now and likely to be in for the foreseeable future, shit is going to suck for any new graduates. Granted, I doubt any professors are going to be telling them that but people are grown. Building up solid work experience in the industry you want to go into is so important and any employer hiring for a decent job is not going to bother interviewing someone who went for random service job over entry level position that has a "miserable working environment" (whatever that means) or low pay.

• Get the Documentary "Back To School".

• JimsterJimster Cruffiton.etsy.com 6,891 Posts
    Have kids. That will take your mind off it for 16~20+ years.

They are worth it, I've got 2 boys, 9 and 2.

Skel has 6 boys. Freal.

• nzshadownzshadow 5,518 Posts
    What would you study? What interests you? Don't just say 'school', that shit has to hold your attention.

I am a high school dropout that worked numerous demeaning service related jobs for 15 years (including bartending which wasn't so demeaning - but you are still serving assholes).

I lived from paycheck to paycheck and survived on overtime and tips while the chip on my shoulder grew and grew.

At 30 I swallowed my pride and for the first time studied like a motherfucker in order to pass the entrance exam for business school. Four years of sitting in a room with people 10 years my junior (and relating pretty much every example, case study, theory and subject back to bar work) I graduated.

Now, 5 years on, I am pretty much financially secure and after returning to a country I lived in over ten years ago, my hourly rate is almost 10 times what I previously earned.

Going back to school worked for me because I was ready. I also found a subject that piqued my interest and I was able to stay the course. But it was fucking hard work.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Why do you want to go back to school? If it's purely for education or to say "I have a degree" then I wouldn't imagine that to be motivation enough to do it. If it's to position yourself to be a viable candidate for a specific career path, then I'd be interested to get an idea as to what that path might be. Many career paths or occupations have certifications that can allow you to get educated and get the pieces of paper you need to get your foot in the door. In my case, I was a 6 year sales/recruiting schmuck who always wanted to be in IT...I got an A+ certification, an N+ certification, took a humbling job as a tech support rep with Verizon used all that to get a fucking awesome job as an IT field engineer with a medical university in my city...so it really depends on what your ultimate goal is, I suppose...

• Unless you get a GA and grad school is paid for by the University and provides a stipend, it isn't worth going...the slight income increase that comes with a masters will not offset the loan expense...unless someone is willing to pay you to go to school, it is not worth it.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Question: Did you get the dank?

Answer: If you got the dank, you is cool. But if you didn't get the dank, you besta go back to school.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    All my friends that went back to school in their late 20s / early 30s were very glad they did. I know a few people that went to business school recently and are looking at significantly higher income because of it. Their jobs are more challenging, but not necessarily more exciting. They do appreciate earning more while working the same hours as before.

I did not do that. I'm well established running a mail order for a company that pretty much has a monopoly on the industry. I made decent money last year. My wife went the business school route and makes 3 times what I make. Together we do fine and own a nice craftsman home in desirable part of San Diego. I supplement my income by doing wedding photography and flipping records/bicycles/scooters/motorcycles/etc. I'm currently in school for fine woodworking and have taken city college classes in photography, photoshop, math, voice-overs, etc. I'll probably always be in school. I like my life. I'm not someone who could go to school just to make more money. It just doesn't jive with me. I'd have to be passionate about the subject to make it through.

• RishanRishan 454 Posts
    in my opinion, the only good reason to go back to school these days, is if you are unemployed because there is bugger all else to do and no jobs around anyway. i am 30 and went back to school for that very reason. i already had an undergraduate degree though. going back to school has not helped me advance in any way career wise. sure i made some great friends and had fun and will easily be able to find a shitty low paying job in my field anywhere in the world.

it depends if you are ambitious or motivated enough to go after something you want. that is if you even want something anyway, because for me, i am sick of the whole damn existence of chasing things i don't even want. i really want to quit the rat race and it sounds like your set up is a good way to live for you. i would love to find that.

i don't see the future getting better either, but then again i am jaded and pessimistic at the best of times. but really i don't see how shit is going to get better. i would say no, don't bother with school anymore, it's unlikely to help you unless you know EXACTLY what you want and how to get it and have the finances already in place

• i agree with almost everything that got posted.

be VERY careful about going into debt with a school. tough going, once that ball gets rolling. even one year can leave you 20k plus in the hole. If you are going to equate school with career and earnings, it may be necessary and worthwhile, but do your due diligence. my housemate has a graduate degree in city planning, worked for a firm for several years, hated it, got laid off and has nt been able to find work in the last two years. he's bussing tables now and trying to get into a phd program.

i feel you with the "shouldnt i be doing something more substantial with my life" line of thinking. i grapple with that all the time and if youre thinking it, then there probably is something you could be getting into that would satisfy your soul, curiosity, values, etc. To this end, its always good to go back to school, but like people already mentioned, you can take nearly free classes at community colleges and other venues. in he chance that you want to leave your job, its worthwhile to seek employment from universities where you can take free classes (at upenn even security guards get free tuition). educating yourself for the love of it is extremely worthwhile. its great to be in that environment, around other students and scholars and resources.

that being said, you can also just teach yourself. this is critically important, especially with your current situation. keep adding skills, study up on things, practice new things, and then maybe volunteer or apprentice with someone part time to solidify those skills. kind of echoing what Rishan posted, i dont see the economy getting any better. if your line of work might get downsized or isnt a necessity, its important (and fun) to have back up skills, real shit. whether its a new language, a fighting style, carpentry, horticulture, ability to teach a musical instrument etc. Theres a world of information at your fingertips like never before.

a final point in favor of school. a lot of jobs open up because of connections. schools are one of the foremost places that people make these connections, with professors as well as the other students.

• This is a really thoughtful thread first of all. I'm impressed with the sincerity coming from every poster. I would discourage you from going back to school unless you know exactly what you intend to study, why and to what end. You don't seem to need much, everything you described is hovering at 'maintaining' level- domicile, job, relationship, lifestyle- and you seem content with it. That's fine if you do that. A lot of people do. You have to know what you personally want out of your life. That changes too with time, you are young but not that young so you have to be smart with your time and money.
    School will not reboot your motivation level unless you are keenly aware of why you're there and for what. Be wise about it so you don't do anything wasteful or unnecessary and end up in severe debt.
    If you do know specifically what you want then the schooling combined with a shift in motivation will outweigh the debt possibly but you will be diving in and the motivation level will have to remain high or even increase when you re-enter the work force.

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    I'm imagining the OG poaster waking up with a sake hangover, checking out soulstrut and being like "when did I say I wanted to go back to school? Where the hell did that come from"....

• buttonbutton 1,475 Posts
    I should mention that I'm talking about finishing an undergrad degree. I started one a long time ago but I imagine I'll have to totally start over if I go back. Just from what I know, based on seeing a lot of my peers graduate, or finally graduating, it seems there are two main ways you can actually use your college degree in the 21st century.

One is using the system as sort of a white collar tech school. Where you go for a predetermined trade and come out with a very traditional, professional job, which I suppose makes the most sense if your thinking in strictly monetary terms (I can't say I am). Who has all the 80k/yr jobs now? Bomb engineers I suppose, banking and finance cogs, software guys, graphic designers.

The other tracts cover people who go into fields that capitalists have no need to exploit, ie: writing and the fine arts , history and the social sciences too ... All those degrees that have been deemed "worthless" since like, the 1900s. I do have friends who have been able to succeed in these areas. They ahve so because they used the academic setting as basically an expensive networking club. Generally the end game for these people is to hang around long enough to get melded into the academic fold. Never again straying from a campus setting.

So it certainly seems achievable to make money off your film degree, say, but it takes a helluva lot of hustle, patience, and bullshitting even after your foot's in the door. I just pity the para-legals, psychology grads, and bio-techs who worked their asses off in school to only to find entry level jobs at 9 bucks an hour. At least the philosophy major sorta knew what they were getting into.

Anyways, enough rambling. I'm leaning towards heading back, if only to break up the tedium and open some new avenues in the world. I can still get away with this lifestyle a few more years, but I don't think it'll be very cool when I'm in my 40s I guess. Appreciate all the insights.

• CBearCBear 902 Posts
    If you're planning on starting undergrad from scratch, I'd look into doing a community college transfer program where you get your gen ed stuff done for cheap and transfer to a better school for your final two years. That will save a lot of money. I have a few friends that started at community colleges and transferred to UC schools. Talk to a counselor first to make sure all your credits are transferrable and you're on the right path. That way, if you decide it's not for you after a year or two, you haven't wasted much money.

• BrianBrian 7,618 Posts
    CBear said:
    If you're planning on starting undergrad from scratch, I'd look into doing a community college transfer program where you get your gen ed stuff done for cheap and transfer to a better school for your final two years. That will save a lot of money. I have a few friends that started at community colleges and transferred to UC schools. Talk to a counselor first to make sure all your credits are transferrable and you're on the right path. That way, if you decide it's not for you after a year or two, you haven't wasted much money.
    Definitely do this and you shouldn't have any shame in attending a community college at this point anyway. You may be able to knock out a bunch of your general ed stuff through online courses which will make things much easier for you.

• support that.
    youre talking about saving yourself 50k in loans

if you have any undergrad credits, you should check if you can put them toward a degree somewhere.
    like i said before, consider getting a menial (or not) job at a school of your liking. you will earn a living and get a free degree, although it will take longer. i knocked out a masters at u penn by working there six years and taking classes sporadically. i actually just handed in my final project on monday. i was there for the job, but i know armfulls of people working there solely to get the free degree.