I'm rooting for the dude who wrote "Funkytown" (music biz-r)

DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
edited December 2011 in Strut Central
Steve Greenberg the first artist in the nation to file a ???termination of transfer??? notice with the U.S. Copyright office. If successful, he will get ownership of the song, so he'll get the royalties from when "Funkytown" is used in a "funny" montage or what have you, while Universal Music Group will get none.

Comments

• ostost Montreal 1,375 Posts
    DJ_Enki said:
    Steve Greenberg the first artist in the nation to file a ???termination of transfer??? notice with the U.S. Copyright office. If successful, he will get ownership of the song, so he'll get the royalties from when "Funkytown" is used in a "funny" montage or what have you, while Universal Music Group will get none.

This is fantastic, I had no idea that clause existed. I'd love to see more artists getting their copyrighst back.

• DocMcCoyDocMcCoy "Go and laugh in your own country!" 5,913 Posts
    Interesting read. As with most music industry stories outside of the trade press, nobody has bothered to check whether it's the publishing or master ownership that's up for grabs, but I foresee a great many billable hours in the future of a great many music industry lawyers as they and their clients track the developments of this case.

If Greenberg gets his song back, my money's on him immediately taking it to another publisher/record company and licensing it to them in exchange for more favourable terms and a big fat fucking cheque.

EDIT: More details here - seems it's the sound recording. This could get very interesting indeed.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Will ever story about this start with the writer telling us how much we hate disco?

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts

• TheeeCasualMale said:

YOUNG BLIZZARD GOIN IN

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Mjukis said:

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    DocMcCoy said:

EDIT: More details here - seems it's the sound recording. This could get very interesting indeed.

Yeah, I hadn't even thought of the issues that a band brings instead of a single artist. What if they're broken up? What if some members died/ What if they're still beefing over who gets credit for what? And I'm sure that labels will fight it tooth and nail. Could get really ugly.