Bank Transfer Day 11/5/11

bandagekillsbandagekills 65 Posts
edited November 2011 in Strut Central
Is anyone participating in bank transfer day (switching to credit unions)?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970204138204576600800330404330.html

Thoughts?

Comments

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I'd love to, but I transferred all my personal and business banking to a CU years ago.

• Why is it on a Saturday? Doesnt seem well thought out. Or is it a "gum up the system" ploy on a day with limited man power?

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts

• The_Hook_Up said:
    Why is it on a Saturday? Doesnt seem well thought out. Or is it a "gum up the system" ploy on a day with limited man power?

i think it's more of a deadline like a pledge to switch by then. supposedly 650,000 people have joined credit unions in the last month

http://moneyland.time.com/2011/11/04/650000-americans-switched-to-credit-unions-last-month/

I'm leaving Wells Fargo after being with them 15 years and joined the SF Fire Credit Union. I should have done this sooner though, free ATMs everywhere, a higher return on my Savings account and I'd be helping out the local firefighters. Win-win situation!

Also, my new CU lets me customize my debit card for free. I can't believe they approved this weird image on mine, but they did!

• I think it's great. My family has savings with the CU & checking still with Chase. But, hey I think it's a great time to join in a movement. I've dreaded having to switch all my online bill pays over, but oh well!!

Fuck greed.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/03/pf/move_your_money_day/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

• I opened up an account at a local credit union a week ago and closed my US Bank account yesterday.

Check this out:
    http://abclocal.go.com/kgo/story?section=news/local/south_bay&id=8419926

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    I switched to a local credit union at the start of the year. It's nice to have them pay me to use my money, instead of whatever Chase was doing to me.

It was a pain in the ASS to close my Chase account. All it will take is thirteen people per bank tomorrow to clog it all up. Nationwide.

I have fewer ATMs available now, but I remember the days of getting all your weekend cash from a teller on Friday afternoons, so I'm okay with that. Banks can do more than credit unions for some people, but not for me. I'm happy with my decision.

• dukeofdelridgedukeofdelridge urgent.monkey.mice 2,453 Posts
    TheeeCasualMale said:

LOL preceded by "this portion of ABC News brought to you by Chase Bank" ad. I love it!

• LaserWolf said:
    I'd love to, but I transferred all my personal and business banking to a CU years ago.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    I just heard on NPR that credit unions are reporting double to five times the normal number of new accounts in the last couple months.

I couldn't be happier. Constant negative experiences with banks, yet to have a single negative experience with my credit union, other than a line once in a while, actually somewhat refreshing at this point.

• edith head said:
    Also, my new CU lets me customize my debit card for free. I can't believe they approved this weird image on mine, but they did!

hahahah, I have a Capital One Visa, and for a while I was rocking the Tres Hombres:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    overflo said:
    I think it's great. My family has savings with the CU & checking still with Chase. But, hey I think it's a great time to join in a movement. I've dreaded having to switch all my online bill pays over, but oh well!!

Fuck greed.

http://money.cnn.com/2011/11/03/pf/move_your_money_day/index.htm?hpt=hp_t2

This is great. Your knowledge on banks and banking is invaluable.

All the Occupy's are doing teach ins. You could go and explain to them how bad the banks really are and why it was such a good idea to bail them out.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    I had Credit Union a while back, I can't say I rated the experience any higher than a normal bank. My new bank is a lot more convenient.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    My personal money has been in a CU since 1977. Moved my business accounts about 2 years ago.

• FrankFrank 2,370 Posts
    I transferred from having a bank account to cash only over 15 years ago and I couldn't be more content. When I accidentally dropped my first "smart" phone from the Conney Island Cyclone over a month ago (just 3 days after buying the damn thing), I got so annoyed that I decided to not get a new cellphone and I canceled my contract... feels absolutely fantastic. My next plan is to give up internet access at home.

• Big_ChanBig_Chan 5,088 Posts
    I've been with a credit union here in Seattle for about 10 years now. They are great! Always kind and helpful. I would never go back to a big bank.

• ReynaldoReynaldo 6,054 Posts
    I'm with Provident Credit Union, but not for any moral, ethical, or political reasons.

• I'm with a small local bank called Idependent Bank, owned and ran by women. I don't know how many banks are run by women...never really thought about it,but my experience has been great, no fees, no hassle...they even put my wife in a commercial.