Rane mixers. (video)

DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
I think my ttm56 is finally kaput. The output is assed out. Maybe an easy fix, but I've had it since 2002 and it's had a productive life.

Id like to try out ranes video options now. I remember when it first came out, I saw peanut butter wolfs set freeze 2 songs in, but I think now all of the kinks have probably been ironed out.

Has anyone used their video mixers professionally? What are some informed attitudes opinions on the technology and medium?

Comments

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Attitudes=strutter's

iPhone jam up

• empanadamnempanadamn 1,462 Posts
    for video mixing, it's a matter of your hardware (serato box / mixer w serato) and having the serato video mixing plug-in software ($200), so rane mixer or not you can still do the video thing as long as your computer fit the min requirements. i've done it on a very amateur level, but my friend who freaks the video thing uses the ttm57. he really takes advantages of the features of the mixers interface with the buttons and joysticks, along with the general features of the VSL and SSL software.

as much as an upselling point it can be to potential clients, it seems like A LOT of work, compiling video, making edits, digging for video bites, etc., in addition, you'll have to worry about acquiring / lugging extra equipment like projectors, screens, flat screens and such. all of which can be rented, or even better, the venues are already equipped with those devices, but it's still another thing to take into consideration. like record pools, there's video pools out there that service DJs / VJs with new (and old) music videos and clips. also, i think people are commonly ripping stuff off of youtube which busts options wide open. with video storage, pretty much all i've seen is done with portable externals.

from a consumer perspective, i think it takes away from the party atmosphere and encourages people to watch videos instead of dancing. it can be cool and be executed creatively, but i'd rather listen to music and dance. but then again, who dances nowadays?

• Daddy Dog is dope!

Cool video emp.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    Now that you can rip youtube videos so easily, i thought it might be a good thing to take on the road with some friends. just cutting the audio in your headphones but projecting just the video. making battle records out of video clips. more work for me basically.

yeah i looked further into it, and it seems like having a serious video card and a gang of processing power is the move. You definitely need an sl box at the very least.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    empanadamn said:
    seems like A LOT of work, compiling video, making edits, digging for video bites, etc.,

I've started doing a bit of this. It is quite time consuming indeed. I made some cool loops from the party scene in Coogans Bluff.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    speaking of rane... i had a nasty run in with this thing saturday night:

all of that fancy shit and no crossfader contour? really? one of the cues kept sticking too. this things a piece!
    halfway through the night all my cue points and keyboard shortcuts stopped working. i probably just need the updated software but just sayin

• snicka_gsnicka_g Hong Kong 276 Posts
    Possum Tom said:
    speaking of rane... i had a nasty run in with this thing saturday night:

all of that fancy shit and no crossfader contour? really?

I didn't really like the 68 either, but isn't the CF contour on the front of the mixer next to the headphone input?

• PunditPundit 438 Posts
    the serato v-sl video plug in is actually pretty buggy and hasn't been updated in a long time. Probably not worth the $200, there are other options out there.

• DelayDelay 4,530 Posts
    i know but i wasn't working. the spot bought that thing less than a month ago, and it's already falling apart. total lemon.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    I hope this stuff gets easier within the next few years. I really like Rane and a lot of their stuff, but they've def got a few lemons.