for those who like their samples chopped

upskibooupskiboo 2,396 Posts
edited October 2011 in Strut Central
vinyl chopping related

peep

Analog Vinyl Sampling from Ishac Bertran on Vimeo.

Comments

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    more pictures on the project:

http://blog.ishback.com/?p=918

• 1:38-1:45 got a cool thing going, the rest just sounds like the record skipped.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    anti-climatic

• dj_cityboydj_cityboy 1,460 Posts
    thats pretty cool, the end result isnt that great though, there are some really cool spots, but thats a lotta labour to go through to come up with close to nuthin, i heard about kid koala doing sumthin like this, i think it was mentioned on one of the turntable TV episodes, it gave me an idea to use dj swamps neverending breakbreaks series of records, i'd grab sumthin from my chud pile of records and stick stickers on them play them and let them loop, you can line up the swamp records to play in time with the skips as they also loop per rotation, on 33 or 45..

cool to use a delay pedal or an effects processer, the 08pro has a cool eq/isolator on it, so that adds to the fun..

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    jjfad027 said:
    anti-climatic

Totally.

It seems like a cool idea but co-sign on the record skipping thing. You'd have to be pretty pedantic or pretty lucky to find an end result that sounded awesome.

• I prefer my samples dusty or extra dusty.

• billbradleybillbradley You want BBQ sauce? Get the fuck out of my house. 2,889 Posts
    I wonder if using two records that have the same beats per minute would make any difference.

• jjfad027jjfad027 1,594 Posts
    Methinks it would work better, or at the least have a higher probability of being/sounding better.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I just read his picture post.

Cool idea in a performance art kinda way.

Now that he has done it with records that suck and no one wants to listen to he should do it with some good records.

The trick for stabilizing the the chopped up record is to glue it another record.

• If I went through that trouble and got that result, I would say, "Oh we'll, I guess it didn't work.". Not "I should make a video about it and tell everyone."