Arthur Russell question

white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
edited September 2011 in Strut Central
Hey, did this picture, or a different shot from the same photo shoot, appear as the cover of a twelve or something before it was used as the cover of 2004's Calling Out of Context???

Comments

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    Well, the foremost image in that composite comes from a Rough Trade promo shoot. I know I've seen it in black and white, with a Rough Trade logo and without the ghost image in the back. I don't think it was ever a cover for anything, though.

It was used as the label art for a promo EP that came out slightly in advance of Calling Out Of Context, but I doubt that's what you mean.

Mildly interesting trivia: the "Mix Master" logo on his hat is from a fertilizer company.

• Yes! I caught that little tidbit in that one documentary, though I thought it was for animal feed? Oddly enough, that's why I was inquiring. I write about agriculture for a living and also happen to love disco (and Arthur's music in general). I wanted to track down an original photo to display that beautiful little double entendre somewhere in my home. Master Mix -- loved by both the dancers at the Loft and the farmers (or pigs) in Iowa.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    You're probably right that it's for feed rather than fertilizer. I knew it was something concerning one end of an animal or the other.

Anyway, the promo shot I saw was in black and white and the logo didn't really stand out enough for your purposes, I don't think. For a full-color o.g., maybe start by hitting up Audika and/or Geoff Travis.