Palm Springs: Yay or Nay?

2»

Comments

• Deegreez: we visited last year because we're heavily into MCM design and architecture. Loved the city, at least what 5 days saw. Like the desert. Like being fairly close to L.A. Still trying to figure it all out. Never talked with any natives though. From what I'm hearing here and from others is it's a pretty mixed bag. Just trying to find a SoCal home where we can live a fairly middle class lifestyle of no kids, regular motorcycle trips, good food, good movie theaters, the occasional concert/show, a quiet neighborhood that isn't old & decrepit (in residents and infrastructure), an art scene, a place where I can get some design work and my wife can get work in the medical field and teach yoga on the side. Any suggestions?

• Check out Eagle Rock, South Pasadena, Mt. Washington, and Lincoln Heights as well

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    If Los Angeles being accessible is a big concern I think you'd definitely want to move closer. The nightmare of Southern California traffic cannot really be overstated. It can routinely take 2-3 hours to travel 50-60 miles. And as far as actually living somewhere with a decent amount of culture, that decreases pretty rapidly the further out in the desert you get. It's a really weird mix of grizzled, conservative retirees, desert rats, meth, and super beige McMansion type shit. Palm Springs might be somewhat cooler, I haven't spent enough time there to really say, but that is the basic lay of the land once you head east of LA. If you aren't set on that area I'd probably look around in the greater LA/Long Beach/Orange County area. It's a huge sprawl and varies greatly from area to area but the benefits of being more central to actual worthwhile stuff to do would be huge, IMO.

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    hcrink said:
    I'd probably look around in the greater LA/Long Beach/Orange County area. It's a huge sprawl and varies greatly from area to area but the benefits of being more central to actual worthwhile stuff to do would be huge, IMO.

But LA is actually farther away from the East Coast than Palm Springs.

• hcrinkhcrink 8,729 Posts
    Well, I guess looking at it that way...

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    You know, I was gonna ignore a lot of the comments in here, but enough already.

Deegreez said:
    Why you would want to live there? I was just there in June and enjoyed myself at a wedding at the Ace but it is a very odd place.

3 categories of people live there in my observation:

1. Aging gay men
    2. Very old people who are politically very right wing, Nixon types
    3. Very trashy young men and women who might serve you in a restaurant or a shop and look like they love meth and want to beat your ass but are too tired from the heat

Man, what the fuck do you know about this place? You spent a couple days here for a wedding and you got it all figured out?

I don't know what's up with all the PSP hatt, but this is my home. Don't talk shit if you came here with your parents as a kid or this is your vintage/modern pit-stop/getaway. I've been here for 30+ years since birth so maybe this will clear some things up for some of you.

Yeah, it's hot. You deal with it for a few months. It's worth it for 3 other seasons of near perfect weather.

If you have a problem with the LGBT community, this is not the place for you.

I think a lot of people's idea of this place are outdated like a motherfucker. I see more Mexicans than I do old retired white people. If you go further east towards Palm Desert/La Quinta/Indian Wells you'll find them cause that's where the money is.
    Sonny Bono and real estate developer (ha) John Wessman fucked up the economy in Palm Springs for a long time. There are still huge empty buildings downtown that have sat vacant for literally decades. Most of the businesses went down valley and it's only been within the last 5-10 years things have started to change. There's a definite resurgence of PS again with The Ace Hotel, Birba, and a lot of great restaurants opening up. Plus LA, San Diego, Long Beach, Big Bear, Idylwild, etc. are all less than a 2 hr drive away.

There are a lot of reasons I've decided to stay here and raise my family. Plantweed, if you have any questions about jobs, homes, whatever, just shoot me a PM.

• RAJRAJ tenacious local 7,779 Posts
    What is MCM? Google is failing me.

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    day said:

Deegreez said:
    Why you would want to live there? I was just there in June and enjoyed myself at a wedding at the Ace but it is a very odd place.

1. Aging gay men
    3. Very trashy young men and women who might serve you in a restaurant or a shop and look like they love meth and want to beat your ass but are too tired from the heat

Man, what the fuck do you know about this place? You spent a couple days here for a wedding and you got it all figured out?

I don't know what's up with all the PSP hatt, but this is my home. Don't talk shit if you came here with your parents as a kid or this is your vintage/modern pit-stop/getaway. I've been here for 30+ years since birth so maybe this will clear some things up for some of you.

Yeah, it's hot. You deal with it for a few months. It's worth it for 3 other seasons of near perfect weather.

I think a lot of people's idea of this place are outdated like a motherfucker. I see more Mexicans than I do old retired white people. If you go further east towards Palm Desert/La Quinta/Indian Wells you'll find them cause that's where the money is.
    Sonny Bono and real estate developer (ha) John Wessman fucked up the economy in Palm Springs for a long time. There are still huge empty buildings downtown that have sat vacant for literally decades. Most of the businesses went down valley and it's only been within the last 5-10 years things have started to change. There's a definite resurgence of PS again with The Ace Hotel, Birba, and a lot of great restaurants opening up. Plus LA, San Diego, Long Beach, Big Bear, Idylwild, etc. are all less than a 2 hr drive away.

There are a lot of reasons I've decided to stay here and raise my family. Plantweed, if you have any questions about jobs, homes, whatever, just shoot me a PM.

Yo Day, I'm going to be out there at the end of the month for a bachelor party... Are you only at the Ace on Thursday? Or do you also spin somewhere else that might be worth checking out? Also, is Sunday at the Ace a complete cluster, or can people just walk in? I have heard differing reports of "don't hit the Ace on Sunday, its madness".

• facesdfacesd 236 Posts
    RAJ said:

I assume mid-century modern

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    day said:

Deegreez said:

1. Aging gay men

I was wondering where you were at.
    I knew right away that the Palm Springs I saw was not the Palm Springs you live in. Some day I would like to see the real.

• dayday 9,611 Posts
    LaserWolf said:

I was wondering where you were at.
    I knew right away that the Palm Springs I saw was not the Palm Springs you live in. Some day I would like to see the real.

Yeah, I'm not saying this place is perfect, but trying to paint a whole city as "A, B, C" is just ignorant. That's like saying "DC is nothing but politicians". Sure, they exist, but there's a lot more to it than that. I just don't dig people trying to talk shit about my city or the people who live here ("very trashy" wtf?).

The biggest hurdle anyone is gonna have moving here from the city is there's not a lot to do, but like I said, that's changing.

facesd said:
    Yo Day, I'm going to be out there at the end of the month for a bachelor party... Are you only at the Ace on Thursday? Or do you also spin somewhere else that might be worth checking out? Also, is Sunday at the Ace a complete cluster, or can people just walk in? I have heard differing reports of "don't hit the Ace on Sunday, its madness".

If you let me know the dates I can see what's going on. I'm locked in at the Ace so I don't DJ anywhere else locally. I haven't been there on a Sunday for a while, but there's always something going on. I wouldn't say it's crazy or a clusterfuck unless it's Coachella weekend or Do-Over/Sleep-Over etc. I've probably taken a few years off my life with those weekends.

facesd said:
    RAJ said:

I assume mid-century modern

Yes. There's a lot of famous architecture out here (Frank Lloyd Wright, Albert Frey, Richard Neutra etc).

• Day, I will be PMing you, you are who I need to hear from, thx a ton.

• DeegreezDeegreez 804 Posts
    Sorry Day, I didn't mean it to be insulting, but I can see how what I said sounded narrow and unkind. I was posting what I saw and like you said I was there for a very short while. I was amazed by these generally disparate groups of people I saw while there and by how segregated it was. And trashy was a bad word to use for the younger crowd, let's leave it at that.

I meant to caution him more that it's very different out there from where he lives now, but what do I know, you are the only person who can truly tell him what it's like to live there full time, without a doubt.

• I've lived in SoCal since '92. Here's my 2 pennies.
    I've never ventured toward PS in all my time here.
    Like you Mr. Weed, I'm big into MCM. Lived in LA
    from '92 til '08 when my wife and I decided to move
    because we wanted to start a family and wanted a
    bit more space and slower pace. We lived in a great
    area of LA - Los Feliz - and had a great Spanish
    Colonial to call home. We ended up moving to a
    town called Ojai and found an incredible MCM on
    2 1/2 acres surrounded by a nature preserve. We
    absolutely love it. Ojai is about an hour and a half
    from downtown LA. We are 15 mins from the beach
    and the city of Ventura which is a place you might
    like. I personally think Ventura is great. Love the
    weather, great restaurants, a few digging spots,
    and it's 15 minutes closer to LA than Ojai is! Not
    sure how many MCM homes are on the market
    currently in Ventura but since Ojai has its fair share
    I imagine Ventura would too. There are also some
    newer condos close to the beach in Ventura. Anyway,
    just thought I'd mention that as another possibility..

• Thanks for the comments, everyone, I appreciate it.