What The Hell Is A Banger

RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
edited July 2011 in Strut Central
Before I joined SS I knew it was a breakfast sausage.

Post SS I figured it was an upbeat dance tune.

But that Country Blues thread has me baffled.

Is "Facebook Blues" by that second grade substitute teacher a "Banger"??

Comments

• Banger = Killer tune.

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    That's it?.....damn

• Rockadelic said:
    That's it?.....damn
    yeah, hip-hop has made some interesting new meanings for words. People here in the west coast also use the word "slapper" to describe a killer song.

• holmesholmes 3,532 Posts
    over here a "slapper" is a stupid woman. But yeah, banger is a killer tune.

• "Bangaslapps" are killer tunes that make your head explode

• SoulOnIceSoulOnIce 13,027 Posts
    holmes said:
    over here a "slapper" is a stupid woman.

yikes

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    og - club banger

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    holmes said:

I always thought a slapper refered to a loose but not particualrly attractive woman.... (not that I use that slan, but Ive heard it used in that context)

and a banger to me always meant a song that would hype up/rock/tear up a party/club etc...

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    "we make the joints that go BANG in the club.."

it's bangin mate [/manchester accent]

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    holmes said:

and a banger to me always meant a song that would hype up/rock/tear up a party/club etc...

Yup. It seems weird to describe, say, Townes Van Zandts "Waiting around to die" as a banger.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    holmes said:

Yup. It seems weird to describe, say, Townes Van Zandts "Waiting around to die" as a banger.

• blakatomblakatom 95 Posts
    yeah i'd bangher

• RockadelicRockadelic Out Digging 13,993 Posts
    Mjukis said:

Yeah....I always just assumed it was the type of tune that a DJ pumped his fist to as the dance floor filled up.

Townes and Banger doesn't seem right.

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    holmes said:

I always thought a slapper refered to a loose but not particualrly attractive woman.... (not that I use that slan, but Ive heard it used in that context)

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

I think the og meant to post a good country blues tune. From his posts we see that that he takes a wide definition of country blues. Which is cool.

I doubt any country blues tune is a banger. But I think the op was riffing of the other Post A ____________ Banger threads. Makes sense to me that he was referencing another post. I am sure he was not trying to say post a country blues tune that will pump up the dance floor.

I posted up a few lame vids I will admit. We have done these threads before and I have posted up the Gary Davis and Willie McTell clips in the past.
    I thought I would post up some clips by people I know and like who don't typically get mentioned here.

I was a fan of Del Ray's in the 80s and used to trade tapes of old blues and gospel tunes for her. We met because we were both fans of Dorothy Love Coates. Here is a clip that is superior to the one in the other thread. Gives you an idea of her skills better than the fuzzy vid I posted yesterday:

Mary Flower is one of the best Piedmont style players around. I posted the Facebook Blues clip yesterday because there was an active facebook hate thread going and I thought it related, despite the fact it was hokey. I can't find any great clips of her's but this will do to give you a better idea of her skills.

I know both of these women look like "second grade substitute teacher" and not "club bangers". Sorry about that, but they are still great guitar players in the country blues style. Despite their looks I decided to post them up because I was tired of posting videos of dead Black men.

The other crappy vid I posted was of some high school kids I know. Here is a better one.

In the last 2 days I have admitted to liking the Carpenters, diggeridoo and guitar players who look like "second grade substitute teacher". I'm not proud, I just know what I like.

• LokoOneLokoOne 1,823 Posts
    cookbook said:
    LokoOne said:
    holmes said:

Huh?

• JectWonJectWon (@_@) 1,654 Posts
    Banger aka heat rock aka blast cap aka hot lava aka neck breaker aka face melter...whatever.

To me it's just a tune that does "it" for you...it seems that banger is geared more towards a tune that kinda breaks your neck a lil bit.

Ultimately, it's just another silly term for "I'm feeling this track!!!!"

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    LokoOne said:
    cookbook said:
    LokoOne said:
    holmes said:

Huh?

I thought Chappelle's show was basic SS knowledge?

I thought about the chickenhead question too when I read LokoOne's post.

• BurnsBurns 2,227 Posts
    Rockadelic said:

Townes and Banger doesn't seem right.

Well how bout "Thomas Bangalter"?
    He has made a few bangin tracks.

• mr.brettmr.brett 678 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Rockadelic said:

LaserWolf said:
    I think the og meant to post a good country blues tune.
    Yeah- I wasn't using "banger" seriously.

LaserWolf said:
    From his posts we see that that he takes a wide definition of country blues. Which is cool.
    I was looking for a loose grouping of country, blues, and folk. I especially like songs that blur the boundaries between the three, so I put country blues/roots music, hoping to suggest old or old sounding acoustic country, folk and blues.

• SteepSteep 31 Posts
    Rockadelic, where are your mind blowing kaleidoscope psychedelic threads at? Miss those.