What do you do to protect the condition of your records?

2»

Comments

• SnagglepusSnagglepus 1,756 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Snagglepus said:
    I've been gradually putting my 45 collection into fresh paper and plastic sleeves. It's such a satisfying process.

Please to save the company sleeves and keep them with the records.

I do save company sleeves. I'm a librarian/archivist by day, so it's in my very nature to preserve as much as possible.

And I actually don't mind sleeves on 45s. Though I have had to modify my flippin' through 45s motion a bit.

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    What kind of inner sleeves does the strut recommend? I'm going to replace the inner sleeves of at least my pricier records. I'm thinking about Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves (the 2nd one in the link). Does anyone recommend those? Or what about the Mobile Fidelity Master Sleeves? (They can be seen in the same link).

I guess the paper+plastic inner sleeves is the combo of choice?

• strataspherestratasphere Blastin' the Nasty 1,035 Posts
    Strings said:
    What kind of inner sleeves does the strut recommend? I'm going to replace the inner sleeves of at least my pricier records. I'm thinking about Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves (the 2nd one in the link). Does anyone recommend those? Or what about the Mobile Fidelity Master Sleeves? (They can be seen in the same link).

I guess the paper+plastic inner sleeves is the combo of choice?

For raers I use those and the re-sealable Japanese style outer sleeves. I buy both at Sleeve Town/city.

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I don't know what those sleeves are.
    I hate plastic sleeves, plastic lined sleeves, they discolor and mark the vinyl.

I just use paper sleeves from bags unlimited.

If I could afford it I would use rice paper sleeves.

• cuthbert151cuthbert151 116 Posts
    ALL of my vinyl has plastic sleeves,from the cheap stuff to the expensive rare stuff. can't imagine life without my collection and would do anything to protect it.

• everything you need to know about non-paper inner sleeves:
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm
    gives a review of the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves too.

• mattBmattB (FTB) Anywhere 673 Posts
    I put everything in the high quality disk union plastic covers which I guess are similar
    to the ultimate 5.0's that everyone talks about...

• StringsStrings 82 Posts
    bobtheorange said:
    everything you need to know about non-paper inner sleeves:
    http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue38/lp_sleaves.htm
    gives a review of the Diskeeper Ultimate Audiophile Inner Sleeves too.

Thanks!

Looks like the Sleevetown Ultimate Audiophile Sleeves or the Mobile Fidelity Original Master Sleeves is the way to go.

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    soundsreal said:
    How many of y'all keep every single record you have in plastic slips, and keep your record in the inner sleeve and then place it inside the plastic slip with the cover but not inside the cover
    Plastic slips yes, but why can't i keep the records inside their covers? What's the threat here?

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Mjukis said:
    soundsreal said:
    How many of y'all keep every single record you have in plastic slips, and keep your record in the inner sleeve and then place it inside the plastic slip with the cover but not inside the cover
    Plastic slips yes, but why can't i keep the records inside their covers? What's the threat here?

Ring Wear.

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    slight hijack....I go to sleeve city regularly for mailers as they are in town...its not a proper store but an office in an office/warehouse park...there is this one office I can see from the receptionist's desk...it has this baller tube amp and one of those bazillion dollar turntables in it and a bunch of LPs with OBI's laying all over the office. I wanna go in there. I am also intrigued by the box on the floor that says "LPs for sale".

carry on

• MjukisMjukis 1,675 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Mjukis said:
    soundsreal said:

Ring Wear.

Isn't it just a matter of not storing your records tightly pressed against each other?

• DanteDante 371 Posts
    musica said:
    Snagglepus said:
    I've been gradually putting my 45 collection into fresh paper and plastic sleeves. It's such a satisfying process.

I can't stand plastic sleeves on 45s. I use these instead (essential for DJing):

7" Die-Cut Jacket -Your record collection deserves the very best in protection and our record jackets are made from 8 pt. coated paperboard. The protective finish is designed to repel household pollutants, grime, fingerprints and mildew. Exterior dimensions 71/8??? x 7???, will hold record and inner sleeve. Item No. 3JAC7IN

http://www.sleevetown.com/7-in-sleeves.shtml - 2nd one down

I don't use them, but they're great. Only problem is space. A common 100 count box will hold only around 85 in this kind of sleeves.

Of course, you should never use them without thin paper sleeves, as the record will be too loose and prone to scuffing.

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    LaserWolf said:
    Mjukis said:
    soundsreal said:

Ring Wear.

And seam splits.

• marumaru 1,450 Posts
    Dante said:
    musica said:
    Snagglepus said:

I can't stand plastic sleeves on 45s. I use these instead (essential for DJing):

7" Die-Cut Jacket -Your record collection deserves the very best in protection and our record jackets are made from 8 pt. coated paperboard. The protective finish is designed to repel household pollutants, grime, fingerprints and mildew. Exterior dimensions 71/8??? x 7???, will hold record and inner sleeve. Item No. 3JAC7IN

http://www.sleevetown.com/7-in-sleeves.shtml - 2nd one down

I don't use them, but they're great. Only problem is space. A common 100 count box will hold only around 85 in this kind of sleeves.

Of course, you should never use them without thin paper sleeves, as the record will be too loose and prone to scuffing.

Yeah these are dope. Sure, you're sacrificing a little bit of space, but 45s are easier to flip through and your records feel so much more protected.

I get mine from here: http://oriviousrecords.com/sleeves/

I tried ordering from Sleeve City once but they didn't have that little half circle notch in them despite their picture.