I'm Possible by kids in our afterschool program

HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Here's one of the 2 songs the students of the Destiny by Design afterschool program at Kealing Middle School in Austin, TX recorded over this spring semester. The kids were assisted by none other than Riddlore? of Chillin Villain Empire. Please let me know what you think...

Comments

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    Careers

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    Harvey great work. Sounds great. I am currently negotiating to bring a similar type program into my kids school but with a more r&b/blues focus. Very inspiring. Keep on keeping on.

HarveyCanal said:
    Here's one of the 2 songs the students of the Destiny by Design afterschool program at Kealing Middle School in Austin, TX recorded over this spring semester. The kids were assisted by none other than Riddlore? of Chillin Villain Empire. Please let me know what you think...

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Thank you. It's extremely rewarding work and the schools NEED MORE OF IT!

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    I love when schools do stuff like this. It's is so rewarding for the kids & everyone involved. Great work!!

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    Good work.

• JamalJamal 410 Posts
    this is dope, if you ever need some beats, ill try and fix some suitedness.

• i'm feeling this. good work to all involved.

Im sorry but this is bad art.

Savin the children is a good thing, but its not productive if theyre making subpar art.

And that is a much on the teachers as its on the students.

batmon said:

Savin the children is a good thing, but its not productive if theyre making subpar art.

It's bad art? Plaese to explain that. And noone is trying to save anyone with this. We're just trying to give the kids access to equipment and instruction they wouldn't get otherwise.

HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

It's bad art? Plaese to explain that. And noone is trying to save anyone with this. We're just trying to give the kids access to equipment and instruction they wouldn't get otherwise.

its my opinion that its bad. you asked for critique.

the program and the access is whatevs to me.

is anyone checkin their rap structures or is it let them do thier thang and see whats up?

the tape says building careers.

batmon said:
    HarveyCanal said:
    batmon said:

its my opinion that its bad. you asked for critique.

the program and the access is whatevs to me.

is anyone checkin their rap structures or is it let them do thier thang and see whats up?

the tape says building careers.

Whatever, dude, don't even feel like dealing with your petty negativity. Thanks for the feedback though.

• jaysusjaysus 787 Posts
    batmon said:

Batmon, you should do a guest teaching spot down there.

Hatteration 101: How to crush dreams and disinfluence people.

You have the credentials.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:

Hey Harvey,

I enjoyed the song, mane!!! When viewed from the perspective of 11-13 year olds rhymin' and making the track (I assume), it's quite good. I didn't expect to hear a hip-hop classic given the above fact; however, by working on the project, the kids might be inspired to build on it and pursue hip-hop more seriously. Hell, we all had to start somewhere, so hats off to you for making it happen for the kids.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• I used to have an after-school class like this around 2000-2001.

It was a lot of fun and very empowering for me and the kids. That's how i learned Pro Tools, and right now, Pro Tools gives me my only income, so bammo!!

I wouldn't post their work on a public forum because they were minors. Don't you need parent permission. Also, some of the work is better than others, but the point was the process. I wouldn't want to embarrass them by posting their work. That's up to themselves, not me.

Keep up the positive work, though. Statistics say that most teenage crime and pregnancy occur right after school so you're doing the community a favor, keeping these crumbsnatchers off the streets.

Thank you, Big Stacks. The kids are learning how to produce tracks on Ableton. They are learning to write rhymes covering different topics. They are learning the recording process. They are learning how to organize and pull off a stage show. And most of all, they are learning that anything good takes hard work. Also, when they get the chance to hear themselves on a finished song, they outwardly beam with pride. And oh yeah, we routinely get English teachers coming to us asking how we got their kids to write so much when they've been trying the same thing without success for x amount of months.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Thank you, Big Stacks. The kids are learning how to produce tracks on Ableton. They are learning to write rhymes covering different topics. They are learning the recording process. They are learning how to organize and pull off a stage show. And most of all, they are learning that anything good takes hard work. Also, when they get the chance to hear themselves on a finished song, they outwardly beam with pride. And oh yeah, we routinely get English teachers coming to us asking how we got their kids to write so much when they've been trying the same thing without success for x amount of months.

Hey Harvey,

You're welcome, mane, and it's great to hear about the progress the kids are making. I can imagine a 'monster' of an artist coming out of such efforts, but then again, you'd never know without providing the opportunity. Lack of opportunity is a large component of racial-ethnic and other forms of inequality in America. It's hard to pull yourself by your bootstraps if you lack the boots. So, I applaud anyone who provides others with a chance to succeed.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    It's also student art. Be easy.

I mean, I'm pretty sure I know where you're coming from, but I would disagree with "it's not productive if they're making subpar art." I think it's productive as long as it gives the kids invovlved in the project a significant sense of what creating real art feels like, regardless of whether their art is successful (or "good" or "bad" or whatever) in any kind of broader context.

Just like I think it's productive to teach kids how to build a frame and stretch a canvas, even if what they fill it with is "subpar" art, I think it's productive to let kids make pro-sounding rap tunes, even if they're singing off-key or being twelve years old talmbout "the club" and "I got goons" or whatever.

Whether or not they're yet making anything "good," there is nonetheless a real benefit to a kid holding a painting and knowing that he or she made it, not just painted it, but fucking made it, this actual object, this real-seeming thing that at least physically resembles art that someone might actually see hanging somewhere. Likewise, there is real benefit to a kid hearing themselves on a track like this, an honest-to-god glossy, studio-produced thing that at least sonically resembles a song that someone might actually hear coming out of a radio somewhere.

Yeah, it's important to teach kids what's good and what's bad, but you've also gotta teach kids what's attainable. And I'm not talking about some abstract, believe-in-your-dreams puffery--I mean you've gotta show them what is technologically possible for them. Show them how it goes, the stores where you can buy the equipment, which buttons to push, where to stand--just demystify shit, you know? One of the first steps in getting kids to make serious art is to show them that they're capable of making art that resembles the art that they themselves take seriously. On that score, I think projects like Harvey's are really important and really productive.

All that is to the good but the program and its benefits werent up for critque here.

HC asked about the SONG. Or did i read the thraed incorrectly.

One nay and everyone falls back on Save The Children.

Aspiring MC whether in a School Lab or in Rasheed,s Basement is going to have to confront harsh criticism.

That has been in the game since day one. Why does ones critique have to be watered down because of the artists age?

Please dont tell me that we are only supposed to like it.

• AlmondAlmond 1,427 Posts
    Awwww. The rapp vocals sound pretty good (kid at the beginning of the song). And as for good/bad art, I'm not much of an artist, but the art I do make is pretty decent, and it wouldn't be so if I hadn't gotten the chance to make sloppy art as a kid.

batmon said:
    All that is to the good but the program and its benefits werent up for critque here.

HC asked about the SONG. Or did i read the thraed incorrectly.

One nay and everyone falls back on Save The Children.

Aspiring MC whether in a School Lab or in Rasheed,s Basement is going to have to confront harsh criticism.

That has been in the game since day one. Why does ones critique have to be watered down because of the artists age?

Please dont tell me that we are only supposed to like it.

Hey Batmon,

Sure, I didn't hear any Nasir Joneses or Shawn Carters or anything, but I listened to it from the view that these are teenagers at the oldest. So, I thought it was good when seen from that vantage point. As you say, if the kids continue on with hip-hop, they will learn that the bar is high and critiques can be brutal. Still, they have to have the confidence to decide to proceed on with it. Self-efficacy is built through 'enactive mastery,' or in other words, small victory experiences. You can't crush the kids from the start as they might be discouraged from pursuing the artform entirely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

All these kids EVER do is confront harsh criticism. You saying the song is bad, fine. Asked you to explain what you meant...but you didn't. You just seemingly want to act too cool for school. And as others have pointed out, a 40 year old man should already know he's too cool for middle school. No one grades a 7th grade paper as they would a grad school paper. And if they did, asshole would be the only conclusion. But all that being said, I like the song, period, no disclaimers needed. But I'm biased.

batmon said:

Hey Batmon,

Sure, I didn't hear any Nasir Joneses or Shawn Carters or anything, but I listened to it from the view that these are teenagers at the oldest. So, I thought it was good when seen from that vantage point. As you say, if the kids continue on with hip-hop, they will learn that the bar is high and critiques can be brutal. Still, they have to have the confidence to decide to proceed on with it. Self-efficacy is built through 'enactive mastery,' or in other words, small victory experiences. You can't crush the kids from the start as they might be discouraged from pursuing the artform entirely.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

No doubt Stacks, but i dont feel like callin it wack is crushing a dream.

When i was a teen amongst other 'practicing' rappers, we didnt pull punches at all.
    Confindence was a given despite your social conditions.

Do the 'rules' get changed because they are in an afterschool setting?

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    that dude really isn't holding down the position that he's purporting

he doesn't understand what it means to be ancient to the future

it's a pee-wee view of "art"

real conversation in here amongst leaders looks different.

leadership talk aims at HOW to improve given A STARTING POINT

leadership recognizes STARTING POINTS and improves it

when a motherfucker only says nay, that's how you know it's just babble

the material at the heart of this thread is among the most mature content ever on soulstrut

anyone else interested in bookmarking all examples like this and creating a discussion network of folks involved in this kind of activity? who else is doing this kind of work?

• iDOX said:
    who else is doing this kind of work?

Like I said, I used to. I still record a lot of minors in Los Angeles. It's not structured in a program, but i still offer a safe place where they can be themselves and express their craft. It's kinda my form of lightweight mentorship.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    I volunteer at an education-based program here in Toronto, and we worked with a community music program that helped a group of three young teens (two gals, one guy) write and record a rap song. We don't have a video of it and the song hasn't been through final mix.

I can't see Harvey's YouTube clip, so I wanted to wait before I chimed in.
    No matter, there is not too much I can say that James didn't so eloquently express already.

Batmon, we don't coddle the kids. We don't hesitate to tell them when they do something wack or improper. Plus, they cap on each other plenty. We do have limited time with the kids, therefore there isn't much room to have them do multiple takes when recording and such. Still don't understand what you think to be so horrible about the song...but I've always thought your taste in rap to be wack anyway, so oh well.

• jamesjames chicago 1,863 Posts
    batmon said:
    In the post I was responding to, you said that you didn't see this project as productive, and implied that the teachers were failing the students.

What part of "[not critiquing] the program and its benefits" is that?

• HarveyCanal said:
    No one grades a 7th grade paper as they would a grad school paper.

You nailed it with this metaphor.

I have a ton of respect for the work you're doing with these kids. If they go on to pursue music, I'm sure they'll probably look back on this track and laugh (as we all do when we revisit things we made as kids), but I know they'll also be incredibly grateful for the knowledge you helped impart, as well as the opportunities you presented them.

• DrWuDrWu 4,021 Posts
    @Batmon, if your such a tough guy, post some of your raps and we'll put together a soul strut poll to see who rates above who. Otherwise, save your turdly commentary for shoe threads.

Having worked with kids in this context before, I know how difficult it is to pull off something of this quality. Props to you and your crew Harvey. I think it sounds great.

I think James got at some of the most important aspects of projects like these but there are number of other benefits that are worth mentioning. A big part of the achievement gap in our schools stems from a massive opportunity gap. Giving kids the chance to interact with artists and activists such as yourself gives these kids invaluable experience and access they can draw upon in the future. If anything separates the haves from the have-nots in this country it's who you know and knowing how to work the system. I hope you will encourage the kids to take these works to their furthest possible fruition so they can expand their web of relationships and experiences to the fullest; have them design the accompanying art work, have them market product, promote it to local cultural institutions (radio stations, djs, etc). To ofter kids miss out learning how the real world works and when the harsh reality of early adulthood comes knocking they have no idea what to do or where to go for support.

The other positive aspect of working on artistic endeavors such as these is the collaborative nature of the work. You can't really do much of this without others input. Learning to work together to build something is one of the most important survival skills of all. You learn the limits of your own skills and how to honor others. Too much of school work is individually focused even though most of our work is done in groups.

As I said before, keep on keeping on.

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    lol - yea, the song I worked with, the students basically have the exact same flow. Their beat is some straight club synthesizer Luger-inspired heaviness though.

It took about twice as long as slated because we made them keep refining the rhymes and so.many.takes.
    There is a pretty amazing recording studio going on in the community centre and that's where they recorded. The guy running it has two computer/keyboard stations set up where he teaches kids how to use the equipment and produce their own beats. He runs all types of workshops and takes on all kinds of kids under his wings, including the young woman who engineered our track. For the weeks we were there, all kinds of kids and teens were dropping by to work on their music at the stations, record, just hang out....typical studio stuff. It is easily one the most amazing things I've seen anywhere in my city....and yet, of course, the only thing you will ever hear about this neighbourhood is the guns, the drugs and dead-end future of public housing.

Anyway, like Harvey said, we need more of this.