GOING TO PARIS ON WEDNESDAY !!!

fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Looking for the usual stuff !!!

I'm going to Paris with my girl this wednesday (27th of April).. We're staying until the 1st of May.. Leaving on the 2nd of May..

I wonder if you guys got any tips on restaurants & cafe's that are good / small /cozy and not too expensive.
We're into all kinds of food, but we really love tapas, sushi, indian & italian. Would love to get some good traditional french dishes aswell !!!

I also need any tips about places to get dope clothing.. Supreme, Alife, Polo, all that shit.
And my girl asked me if I could ask anyone in France about good places to go vintage shopping.

I'm also going to Groove store & Superfly Records. That should be enough for some rare record shopping right?
I also wonder if it's any place in Paris which carries Stones Throw shit so I can get that limited Madlib / Frank Nitt vinyl as soon as possible.

I saw something about a J Rocc show. We will def. go to that one. Also looking for all kinds of good places/nights for soul/jazzfunk sets in Paris ?

Hope someone in here have the time to help me or a link to a dope google map or whatever !!!

Peace,

Fred.

Comments

• Hey hey Fred! Just went to Paris with my lady in February! Here are a few recommendations:

L'Alimentation G??n??rale
    This place became our favorite place for live Jazz and DJs. Awesome spot in the 11th!
    http://www.alimentation-generale.net/

Free P Star
    Your lady might want to check this place out for vintage clothes shopping.
    Not my area of expertise - but my lady was impressed! In the Marais
    http://www.freepstar.com/

Vanves Flea Market
    I found a lot of great records at Superfly but they were all kind of expensive. If you want to go digging - definitely make the trip out to Vanves for Le Marche Aux Puces de la Porte de Vanves. I found a ton of great records and other cool things.
    http://pucesdevanves.typepad.com/

Have fun!

• fredfadesfredfades 584 Posts
    Thanks man !!!

MORE TIPS HERE ?

Leaving tomorrow !!!

BUMP !!!

• DJFerrariDJFerrari 2,411 Posts
    I was just in Paris last week with my sorta lady who has lived there her whole life. It was my first time there and I was just amazed at how beautiful a city it was... every time I turned a corner, it was a new photo opportunity. The food and wine wasn't too shabby either. I'm no good at keeping track of names and places, but one recommendation would be to visit Montmarte at night. It's a very artsy neighborhood and the highest point in the city so you can see out over everything. It's also less crowded with tourists at night so good for a romantic dinner with the lady. We were walking around and this guy was playing acoustic guitar on the steps with a small crowd singing along... for a minute I felt like I was in an old black and white movie!

Oh and for clothes shopping... hit up Saint Etienne... but prepare to get fully ass raped by the prices

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    To me Paris is not a great place for the things you mentioned, at least not compared to NYC. (I haven't been in a long time, though)

I would leave plenty of time to just walk around - Paris is one of the greatest walking cities in the world, imo. The restaurants tend to be expensive, but you can get top-notch baguettes, cheese, olives, wine etc for cheap.

And if your inclined, hit up this museum of Asian art - it's incredible and way less crowded that the Louvre or a number of other museums.

http://www.guimet.fr/-English-

Horseleech said:
    I would leave plenty of time to just walk around - Paris is one of the greatest walking cities in the world, imo.

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    I was there the first couple weeks in March. It was amazing!!!

I couldn't agree more with taking a trip to Montmartre in the evening. The steps leading up to Sacre Coeur were truly inspirational with people from all over the world hanging out, drinking, and listening to street performers. I'd recommend grabbing a bottle of champagne and hang out there for a while. While you are up there, you should grab dinner at Le Petit Parisien (28, rue de Tholoz?? 75018 Paris). A fine French bistro that we randomly picked out of one of our travel guides. The whole vibe of the restaurant and neighborhood is amazing!

Not sure where you are staying, but I also stumbled across two great places near St. Germain. The first was a restaurant called Chez Calde (rue St-Andre des Arts, 54, 75006 Paris, France +33 1 43267749). This place was tiny and very French. The server/ owner was entertaining/ funny and the food was really good from what I remember. Just down the street from there is an awesome bar called Bob Cool (15 rue des Grands Augustins 75006 Paris). Small, dive with a fantastic atmosphere, and interesting clientele with awesome shot specials (I went there two nights in a row). They didn't have a dj the nights I was there, but the music was on point...

While I was there, I did see a ton of sushi spots, so you shouldn't have trouble finding sushi... but unfortunately wasn't able to try them...

As for clothing...I didn't see too much of what you are looking for, but I would definitely hit up the Citadium department store. Its the urban wear department store next to Printemps (50/56 rue Caumartin - 75009 PARIS) and I think you will find what you are looking for. Also, hit up the Marais neighborhood for some clothing boutiques and shops. You really should stop by Colette ( 213 rue Saint-Honor?? 75001 Paris). Its one of the 'coolest' stores in the world, and they should have something that suits your style. I bought a couple sweet t-shirts that would probably be SS approved! It can get expensive though... but what isn't?

On our visit, we also managed to swing by the P??re Lachaise Cemetery. I highly recommend making the trip. Jim Morrison and Oscar Wilde are buried there (amongst other notables). It's kind of a ways away from central Paris, but the cemetery is truly jaw dropping.

I really don't think you will have a hard time finding something to get into. Paris is an ideal city to walk, and its super easy to ride the Metro too. Here's a link to some of the storefront photos I took walking the streets...
    http://creativefuel.frch.com/2011/03/18/paris-store-fronts/

I'm jealous! Have fun!

• devoglamdevoglam 143 Posts
    For your girl...

I did wander into one vintage spot that was cool. It was called Hippy Market located in the Les Halles neighborhood. I didn't get to spend much time in there, but it looked promising.

I did see a ton of other spots, but thats the only one I can recall by name...

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    Hey,

as you don't stay too long...
    Your girl will find vintage clothes around Chatelet les Halles and Beaubourg.
    You should go to "le marais" too. It's the "fashion" neighbourhood. It's between the subway station "Hotel de ville", Rambuteau and Bastille.

For records shops go to Boulevard St Michel (subway station st Michel). There is "Silly melody", "Boulinier"
    and "Gilbert Joseph" (There are 3 Gilbert Jospeh stores, it's the third one when you arrive from the subway station). Only repress and new stuff at gilbert Joseph but not too expensive. First floor for jazz/brazil... and go downstairs for hip hop, Stonesthrow...
    There is also crocodisc,42, rue des Ecoles, which is not far.
    Then go to Le jardin du Luxembourg, take a chair and enjoy.

When you are near Beaubour check Goodies Records 3 Rue de Palestro. You should eat at "Le v??locip??de". Excellent french food and cheap. Favorite place of mine. Then you can walk to Superfly records, the best record shop in Paris, in my opinion. it's not far.

If you go to Montmartre, your girl should check Guerisoll for very cheap vintage clothing (4 shops; 17bis bd Rochechouart, Paris 9??me, 29-31, avenue de Clichy, 22 bd Poissoni??re, et 21 bd Barb??s dans le 18??me.

Then you should go to "Les puces de Clignancourt" (only open saturday and sunday), subway station Clignancourt, to find records and vintage clothing. Beware of thieves.

have a nice trip and don't hesitate to send me a PM if you need other advices.

• vinegarvinegar 56 Posts
    + the 04/29 Pharoah Sanders Quartet live at le New Morning
    7 / 9 rue des Petites Ecuries75010 Paris. Subway station "Chateau d'eau".

Thanks for the help guys !!! We will definitely check out a lot of this stuff !!! You rock...!!! Peacepeace, F.