Die Antwoord

KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central

I cant stop listening to his tune. The group is apparently a South African "rave crew" and this music is a new genre of music called Zev. Have other people heard these guys?

Comments

• HollafameHollafame 844 Posts
    I ride.

I still haven't decided if that chick is attractive or not, though.

This is cool shit:

http://pitchfork.com/news/41898-watch-die-antwoords-harmony-korine-directed-short-film/

"Die Antwoord" is Afrikaans for "the answer"

• escoeescoe 113 Posts
    everytime i hear these dudes i keep waiting for weird al to make a cameo.

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Plaese to be serious.

• escoe said:

fitting!

music = horrible

girl = no go zone!

• BeatnicholasBeatnicholas 1,005 Posts
    aphex twin is a massive fan and booked them to play with him. why o why

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Moss sent this to me a little while ago - I couldn't get through it at all....like not past the first 2 minutes.
    I kinda can't stand either party responsible for this. But some of you nerds might enjoy it.

Die Antwoord and Harmony Korine

• Massive Put On supergreg

• The_Hook_UpThe_Hook_Up 8,182 Posts
    kind of a spinal tap of the white trash poverty rave something or other...I remember a link to pics of them in some improv comedy/acting troupe

• WoimsahWoimsah 1,734 Posts
    sorry, but mega, mega :latte:

also, Harvey, how are they so different from 99% of the material you post, beside their accents and the BPM (and in this case, not even the BPM)? These kids, after all, are joking -- this is "performance art". Ain't really my cup of tea sonically, but their aesthetic is kind of great.

• rootlesscosmorootlesscosmo 12,848 Posts
    massive latte pass, soulstrut thread-wise and in life.

and it's horrible.

Woimsah said:

also, Harvey, how is this so different from 99% of the material you post, beside their accents and the BPM? These kids, after all, are joking -- this is "performance art". Ain't really my cup of tea sonically, but their aesthetic is kind of great.

How is a trash beat with trash non-rapping not as good as a quality beat with quality rapping on it?

Is that really what you are asking me?

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    Woimsah said:

also, Harvey, how are they so different from 99% of the material you post

I'd be more interested to hear how you feel they are similar.

• BreezBreez 1,706 Posts
    They would make great extra's in a Guy Richie flick. The 3 great qualities: Weird, Gold & UG-LY!

HarveyCanal said:
    Woimsah said:

also, Harvey, how is this so different from 99% of the material you post, beside their accents and the BPM? These kids, after all, are joking -- this is "performance art". Ain't really my cup of tea sonically, but their aesthetic is kind of great.

How is a trash beat with trash non-rapping not as good as a quality beat with quality rapping on it?

Is that really what you are asking me?

Subjective and opinion never went together so well.

Here you go, dude. Use this Killa Cal Wayne video as a point of reference. How is that garbation up above similar in any way?

• similarily, should i make "i'm on a boat" my ringtone for the next time 2008 calls??

HarveyCanal said:
    Here you go, dude. Use this Killa Cal Wayne video as a point of reference. How is that garbation up above similar in any way?

dude.

you pick one thing you're liking, out of the numerous flagrant videos you've posted here over the years. is this representative of everything to which you've tried to bring attention?

vintageinfants said:
    similarily, should i make "i'm on a boat" my ringtone for the next time 2008 calls??

we're serioulsy lacking a "ZING!" graemlin.

• Bon VivantBon Vivant The Eye of the Storm 2,018 Posts
    A buddy of mine tried to turn me on to these guys about 6-7months ago. I thought it was some kind of comedy routine. The Weird Al comment was appropriate.

NOT :feelin_it:

• This is what Interscope calls hip-hop these days.

• Bunch of upscale designers posing like they're proper white trash.

Sounds like a 1990's house beat, with Alvin and the Chipmunks on top, with a drug addict looking dude shouting "fokking fokking fokking"

They're terrible.

If you're going South African Rap-esque music go Jack Parow, at least he's funny.

Woimsah said:
    HarveyCanal said:

dude.

you pick one thing you're liking, out of the numerous flagrant videos you've posted here over the years. is this representative of everything to which you've tried to bring attention?

It was the last thing I posted in the Rap I'm Liking thread. And yeah, it's very representative of the aesthetic I'm into as a fan of Texas rap. Scarface->Z-Ro->Killa Cal Wayne. I don't know why you think, and I'm making an assumption here, that I'm instead into generic ATL-styled kiddy rap...but that just ain't me.

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    afrikaans is Dutch for "we were going the wrong way and made a mistake; none of this should have happened"

this track is even worse than the antwoord-diplo video...

• KineticKinetic 3,739 Posts
    90% of the appeal of this for me is the accent. But yeah... I know how you yanks don't like listening to stuff that doesn't sound like you!

• jammyjammy remixing bongo rock... 813 Posts
    i think these guys are terrible. the 'joke' wears off within seconds

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    iDOX said:
    afrikaans is Dutch for "we were going the wrong way and made a mistake; none of this should have happened"

this track is even worse than the antwoord-diplo video...

wasssup iDox!!!!

i hate to say it, but i kinda liked the evil boy video. the two black chicks dancing and the weird synths are dope!

• waxjunkywaxjunky 1,850 Posts
    bassie said:
    Moss sent this to me a little while ago - I couldn't get through it at all....like not past the first 2 minutes.
    I kinda can't stand either party responsible for this. But some of you nerds might enjoy it.

Die Antwoord and Harmony Korine

I'm going to watch this, even though I should probably just look away...

• staxwaxstaxwax 1,474 Posts
    You should know these guys were probably created by some ad agency two years ago to breathe new life into some stale local act and promote south africa as hip and happening around the World Cup in 2010 - its all art direction and concept. - theyll be endorsing jagermeister or puma or some shit soon and already have a line of toys out.

Max Normal TV - Merry Xmas Emily from coxy on Vimeo.

that chick is kinda weird/scary/nice tho.

• djsheepdjsheep 3,620 Posts
    tokyobeats said:
    escoe said:

fitting!

music = horrible

girl = no go zone!

• tripledoubletripledouble 7,636 Posts
    "all art direction and concept"
    without a doubt.

and definitely not a good look to be drooling over that girl.
    she looks like a 12 year old with fake boobs and a bowl/mullet hybrid