Chicago Strutters-Get at Me!!!

Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
edited April 2011 in Strut Central
Hey Chicago Strutters,

I'll be in Chi-town from April 13th through the 17th for a research conference. While there, I'd like to hit some records stores and meet with you. White Tea, Pickwick, D Castillo, and others, where ya at? Please hit me on the PMs with contact info so we can maybe break bread, grab some brews, and flip through the bins. Thanks!!!

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Comments

• white_teawhite_tea 3,262 Posts
    Hey Big Stacks,

You're coming at a good time -- Saturday is record store day and every one of them, as far as I can tell, is having some special events and promotions.

Unfortunately, I will be out of pocket on April 13th for a funeral as my dad's brother and my godfather has left us at the young age of 56. But life goes on, and I should be around for the remainder of the week and will help to make your visit a welcome one if I can.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Hey Big Stacks,

You're coming at a good time -- Saturday is record store day and every one of them, as far as I can tell, is having some special events and promotions.

Unfortunately, I will be out of pocket on April 13th for a funeral as my dad's brother and my godfather has left us at the young age of 56. But life goes on, and I should be around for the remainder of the week and will help to make your visit a welcome one if I can.

Hey White Tea,

I'm so sorry for your loss. I pray peace and comfort for your family during this time of bereavement. I thank you reaching out to me and I look forward to meeting you.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Hey Big Stacks, I would advise picking up copies of the Chicago Reader and Newcity, located at many city corners. Both feature decent right-ups on events surrounding Record Store Day on Saturday. Look out for a call for me at some point today.

Also, would kindly point out that I would not be so bold as to consider myself a part of the Chicago contingent, a group of folks whose relationships were long since cemented before I stumbled upon the Strut and whom I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting. So I can "bump" the thread to see if any of those dudes rear their heads.

• Big_StacksBig_Stacks "I don't worry about hittin' power, cause I don't give 'em nuttin' to hit." 4,670 Posts
    white_tea said:
    Hey Big Stacks, I would advise picking up copies of the Chicago Reader and Newcity, located at many city corners. Both feature decent right-ups on events surrounding Record Store Day on Saturday. Look out for a call for me at some point today.

Also, would kindly point out that I would not be so bold as to consider myself a part of the Chicago contingent, a group of folks whose relationships were long since cemented before I stumbled upon the Strut and whom I have yet to have the pleasure of meeting. So I can "bump" the thread to see if any of those dudes rear their heads.

Hey White Tea,

Thanks for your suggestions, mane!!! I'd appreciate you bumping the OG Chicago 'Strutter thread to see if others of the contingent appears. I'll give you a ring this afternoon to talk plans. I'm thinking of doing so LP shopping on Saturday.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    white_tea said:
    a group of folks whose relationships were long since cemented before I stumbled upon the Strut

Cement is pretty easy to turn into sand.

I'm around if you are near Dusty Groove or Reckless in Wicker Park. Holler if you want to talk about what a shit hole Milwaukee is...

I'll try to shout at DCastle for you a little later...

• iDOXiDOX 43 Posts
    Big Stacks what kind of research conference are you attending?

• pickwick33pickwick33 8,946 Posts
    z_illa said:
    white_tea said:
    a group of folks whose relationships were long since cemented before I stumbled upon the Strut

Cement is pretty easy to turn into sand.

I'm around if you are near Dusty Groove or Reckless in Wicker Park. Holler if you want to talk about what a shit hole Milwaukee is...

I'll try to shout at DCastle for you a little later...

I'm good for (possibly) Friday or (definitely) Saturday, if you all wanna get together.

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    PM sent.

• TNGTNG 234 Posts
    Numero is doing a one day pop up shop about halfway between Reckless and Dusty Groove on Saturday. Fellow strutters Dante Carfagna, Meaty Ogre, and Rob Sevier will be dealing the rareness (as well as other deep cats like Scott Harlow, Chris Carnahan, Tom Sorrells, and Mark Prellburg), and Numero will have their two RSD exclusives for sale. 9AM-9PM, 1371 N. Milwaukee Avenue.

^^^^^ That sounds sweet. My friend (T^m) who works for Intelligensia is going to be dealing some of that South American and South Pacific heat -- coffee, I mean.

iDOX said:
    Big Stacks what kind of research conference are you attending?

Hey IDOX,

I'm attending the Society for Industrial-Organizational Psychology's annual conference.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

• El PrezEl Prez NE Ohio 1,141 Posts
    Stacks that N??mero one day pop up store on Saturday seems to be THE spot you have to drop in on while in Chicago....

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    So it sounds like the best situation would be for all the dudes who want to go to lunch tomorrow to meet outside of the Numero store at 12:30?

z_illa said:
    So it sounds like the best situation would be for all the dudes who want to go to lunch tomorrow to meet outside of the Numero store at 12:30?

I'm down for that if anyone else is.

Hey Guys,

I'm down for lunch and checking out the Numero spot.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

Spoke with Big Stacks and will scoop him up from downtown and head to the Wicker Park area, should be there well in advance of lunchtime. Will be great to link up with everybody!

So I guess the Numero sto' around 12:30 is the best bet?

We'll definitely be there. Not sure what's a good spot for lunch, though...

Hey,

I want to thank White Tea for playing host for my record grabbin', bread-breaking, listening to Phil Cohran perform-mission yesterday. I have to say, dude is indeed dude, and it was a pleasure meeting Zilla, Meaty Ogre, Minneap, Pickwick, and Luck as well. If any of you guys are out in Central Jerz and thereabouts, please get at me. Thanks to all of you for a wonderful visit to the Windy C.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak

When I picked up Stacks, he professed a desire to pick up a few titles but nothing of quantity -- however, true to his moniker, by the end our trip to the Numero Shop and Dusty Groove, dude's stacks was indeed big, in my estimation about 30 LPs???

Really good time hanging with him and the rest of the folks we ran into. It was a treat sitting between Stacks and Pickwick at La Pasadita, hearing some of the knowledge both of those guys profess. Then Luck came through for a glass of water and the record-related nuggets got only deeper. A great time was had by all -- with an obvious highlight catching Phil Cohran's nimble fingers on the harp; the man is amazing, at eighty-four years old!

• z_illaz_illa 867 Posts
    I felt bad I had to skip out early. Here's a few of the 45s I picked up...

DivShare File - robzilla - rsd.mp3

The Buena Vistas 45 was a bitch to clean and has left a permanent fucked up toxic residue on both my needles. Some 45s are affected by the dirty needles, sorry.

• minneapminneap 541 Posts
    Latte pass but it was good to put faces to a few Strutters. My girlfriend calls SoulStrut my efriends so I felt validated in having an opportunity to meet some in real life. Stacks is Dude indeed.

Stacks, it was good hanging with you!

And yes, that Motherlode Tapped Out album is indeed worth getting!

Me and Big_Stacks caught flippin' at Dusty Groove in the latest issue of the Chicago Reader. Me on the left and Stacks clockwise to the right. Thanks to Pickwick for the heads-up.

See the rest of the Record Store Day gallery here.

white_tea said:
    Me and Big_Stacks caught flippin' at Dusty Groove in the latest issue of the Chicago Reader. Me on the left and Stacks clockwise to the right. Thanks to Pickwick for the heads-up.

See the rest of the Record Store Day gallery here.

Hey Minneap and Pickwick,

It was great meeting and hanging out with you guys as well. Pickwick, I'm glad the Motherlode LP didn't disappoint. I received my two shipments of LPs yesterday, and from my listening, I was pleased with the results. All of the Chi-Town contingent were serious duders, and it was nice to finally link up with you. White Tea, that's a cool shot of us flippin' through the bins. Now, the Strut massive can see what studly record nerds we are :lol:. Again, I thank you guys for making my visit an enjoyable one, and please get in touch with me if you're ever out in the Tri-State area.

Peace,

Big Stacks from Kakalak