Florida/South Hip Hop???

batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
edited March 2011 in Strut Central
Is Florida Hip Hop within the Southern Hip Hop Dynasty?

Dovetail or mostly separate?

Memphis same as Miami and Orlando?

Do Floridians place themselves within Southern Hip Hop?

Do "Pro-South" Artists include Tampa when claiming shit?

Didnt Luke and them make a national splash before the "South" got on?

Comments

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Florida is definitely a part of it. They gave us bass music, not just from Luke, but DJ Magic Mike and Maggotron and DJ Fury and Dynamix II, etc. And then all of that Baby Daddy shit later. There would be no raunchy without Florida. NOLA bounce, Memphis crunk, ATL snap, and Dallas boogie all owe a debt.

On the right system, sheeeeeeit...

• cookbookcookbook 783 Posts

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    HarveyCanal said:
    Florida is definitely a part of it. They gave us bass music, not just from Luke, but DJ Magic Mike and Maggotron and DJ Fury and Dynamix II, etc. And then all of that Baby Daddy shit later. There would be no raunchy without Florida. NOLA bounce, Memphis crunk, ATL snap, and Dallas boogie all owe a debt.

When the other parts of the Souf got bubblin was FL part of that dominance?

I cant recall any artists that ran neck and neck on national level.

Trick Daddy was right up in there.

HarveyCanal said:
    Trick Daddy was right up in there.

Youre right along w that female mc i forget her name with the raunchy steez.

Trina

• faux_rillzfaux_rillz 14,343 Posts
    Please do not ever refer to "South" Hip-Hop

This is like Republicans who refer to "The Democrat Party"

faux_rillz said:
    Please do not ever refer to "South" Hip-Hop

This is like Republicans who refer to "The Democrat Party"

Magic Mike is a rapper?

• HOTSOUPHOTSOUP 63 Posts
    Paging DJ Ynot...

• The-gafflerThe-gaffler 2,190 Posts

and other notable poison clan shit

• JAM PONY EXPRESS!!!

• overflooverflo 59 Posts
    Magic Mike was a DJ.

overflo said:
    Magic Mike was a DJ.

DJ Magic Mike was a DJ? Wow.........

• YNOTYNOT in a studio apt mixing tuna with the ramen 417 Posts
    Florida and most Floridian's consider themselves to be a party of "southern" hip-hop. However Florida is a very diverse place and they say the further south you go the further north you go. There's a stark contrast between North Florida, South Florida and pockets of weirdness in between. Orlando in particular is a transient city consisting of a large Latin and snow bird population. DJ Magic Mike who came from Orlando was one of the first if not the first Southern Hip-Hop artists to break nationally. Magic Mike went platinum independently way before hip-hop was classified under regional styles and bought bass music to the masses. Bass music was a vital and influential part of Southern hip-hop and the influence shouldn't be slept on. Magic Mike deserves his own thread and as a Southern pioneer sometimes doesn't receive the credit that's due. He was super funky with the cuts an OG turntablist who defiantly dug in the crates for them funky loops creating both straight up hip-hop and bass. Although known as a D.J. who let Mc Madness and the Royal Posse hold down mic duties Mike made some vocal appearances:

Orlando for every kid that claims Brooklyn and rocks timbs with shorts there's another kid who was born and raised here and wants to ride around in his "donk" listening to trap music. Ozone Magazine who reps Southern Hip-Hop originated in Orlando, Ozone being slang for Orlando. The magazine was funded by Florida D boys who used it to launder money while claiming to be the voice of Southern hip-hop. Tampa has also had some artists make regional noise with Khia's "My Neck and My Back" amongst others. You've got little bo-dunk town's like Plant City that is home to former Jezzy weed carrier Blood Raw. While Miami is it's on world of weirdness it's a huge part of the regional southern rap ish imo. You can't forget about the O.G. dirty rapper Blow Fly who repped the south urly. You know Slip n Slide, Poe Boy ent, Rick Rawse etc all made southern rap what is today. Kind of goes without saying, no? Anyways this is just my perspective as a Floridan, I need coffee.