REP Your FLEXIDISCS Y'all

Mr_Lee_PHDMr_Lee_PHD 2,042 Posts
edited February 2011 in Strut Central
Just picked up my first flexidisc..

B/w Do these things waer out quick as hell when you play them ?

Comments

• ah yeah....i tried to find some flexi action when i first found this place, but was a bit disappointed to find nuthin, unless my search skills arent up to par...

i have a bunch of flexis, mostly weird ones from National Geographic Mag whles one was mega popular with out 10 million made

and one from this weird "sounds of space" diagram/flexi set...

i find these wear really easily i recommend some weight off yer tonearm, i was looking to get some done in the late 90's early 2000's to include in "Vice Mag" but the only place that was doing them at the time which was in Miami had just closed....

*EDIT - found this:
    The American manufacturer Eva-tone, believed to be one of the last manufacturers of flexi discs, based in Florida, stopped production of the product in August 2000,however, another American-based company, Erika Records, now states on its website, "Flexible Discs will be available from Erika Records beginning in 2010".

As of December 2010, Pirates Press, an independent record manufacturing company based in San Francisco, CA, has already begun production on flexi discs of various sizes and color.

looks like someone is back in the felxi game then...

• minimini 879 Posts
    I think this is the only one I have kept:

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    I like them and have some fun ones. Including a hippie folk psych thing that Bosie Cascade put out. And a Hendrix one.

They are low fi to start and wear out lickety split.

Sonorama was a French magazine in the 50s/60s. Each issue was filled with 2 page stories about an artist. Between each story was a white flexi disc. Does anyone care?

• MoogManMoogMan Sao Paulo, Brazil 1,173 Posts
    Here are some pics I took long time ago:

This is cover of the album which contains the flexies on the 2 last pics above:

• luckluck 4,077 Posts
    You will have to take my word on this, but R.E.M.'s cover of Archie Bell and the Drells' "Tighten Up" on Bucketfull Of Brains #5 is pretty good. If you can ignore Stipe, this take jams.

• The_NonThe_Non 5,691 Posts
    Every time this thread comes up, it reminds me to find my flexidisc of Spiro T Agnew talking about the dangers of "Radicalism." Vocal samples about long haired hippiez, drugs, protesters, black panthes, and hilarity for days.

• DJ_EnkiDJ_Enki 6,471 Posts
    Billy and the Boingers--"U Stink But I Love You"

• leonleon 883 Posts
    I'm still looking for a red flexi from Japan with When doves cry by Prince on it. It was issued with a mag. PM me if you have it for sale/trade please!

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts
    I still have that Benny And The Jets Biz markie/Beastie Boys flexi that came w/ the Lee Perry Grand Royal magazine.

• favourite flexidisc in the collection - "the loneliness of the long playing record" - came free with private eye in 1969. its a spoof / comedy thing, best bit is a contemporary pisstake of john peel's radio show.

worst flexidisc - the bay city rollers fandisc. don't know why i own this, maybe hoping for a crazy rollers fanatic to take it off my hands, unlikely to happen. came free with a teenage mag, contains the rollers introducing themselves and describing how they feel about their fans. pretty funny i suppose, its all pretty.. sexual?

• HarveyCanalHarveyCanal "a distraction from my main thesis." 13,234 Posts
    Y'all remember cuttting records out from the back of Count Chocula cereal boxes?

• delete

• most desirable - definitely "Herbie Hancock - Herbie Hancock Demonstrates The Fender Rhodes" flexi

http://matrixsynth.blogspot.com/2009/07/1970s-fender-rhodes-piano-demo-record.html

• DuderonomyDuderonomy Haut de la Garenne 7,785 Posts
    I've got Bernard Cribbins discussing how to assemble your brand new Hornby Railway set. Lots of talk about arranging the tracks etc, but crackly as hell.
    Also have a flexi for jeans. Not as funky as It's The Real Thing, but surprisingly good.

• HarveyCanal said:
    Y'all remember cuttting records out from the back of Count Chocula cereal boxes?

yeah man...a lot of cereal boxes were on that tip back in the day, i was diggin around my rekkids lastnight and i came across an "ALF" flexi (cardboard) though i have no clue where or how i got it....some promo dealyo from Burger King

it has "Melmac Girls" or sumthin like that on it...lol

• DB_CooperDB_Cooper Manhatin' 7,823 Posts
    Some of you dudes MUST have gotten the birthday song flexi disc when you were tykes. I think it had a rocket ship on the label? Or had a rocket ship theme? But I believe it had your personalized first name either on it or in the song. Somebody has to know know what I'm talking about.

• Ulysses31nicholas said:
    most desirable - definitely "Herbie Hancock - Herbie Hancock Demonstrates The Fender Rhodes" flexi

While this is definitely cool, it's pretty common and far from the most sweated flexi:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=flexi&incldescr;=&sortord=dprice&thumbs;=&currsel;=

• LaserWolfLaserWolf Portland Oregon 11,517 Posts
    DB_Cooper said:
    Some of you dudes MUST have gotten the birthday song flexi disc when you were tykes. I think it had a rocket ship on the label? Or had a rocket ship theme? But I believe it had your personalized first name either on it or in the song. Somebody has to know know what I'm talking about.

:holygrail:

I've got Happy Birthday Danny From Zoom.

Sister gave it to me.

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Horseleech said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:
    most desirable - definitely "Herbie Hancock - Herbie Hancock Demonstrates The Fender Rhodes" flexi

While this is definitely cool, it's pretty common and far from the most sweated flexi:

http://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?pagenum=1&searchtext=flexi&incldescr;=&sortord=dprice&thumbs;=&currsel;=

Didn't check if it's on that poopsyke list, but for me the most desirable flexi would probably be the one that laplanetesauvage/wickerman had up for auction in the Haiti Heatrocks. I think it was a 3" or a 5". Some sick psych funk business. I bid on it but it went higher than my budget. Don't remember who won it. O-Dub? Would like to hear that audio again.

• m_dejean said:
    Horseleech said:
    Ulysses31nicholas said:

Didn't check if it's on that poopsyke list, but for me the most desirable flexi would probably be the one that laplanetesauvage/wickerman had up for auction in the Haiti Heatrocks. I think it was a 3" or a 5". Some sick psych funk business. I bid on it but it went higher than my budget. Don't remember who won it. O-Dub? Would like to hear that audio again.

I totally agree, and thanks to Skel you can:

http://www.soulstrut.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/68098/

• m_dejeanm_dejean Quadratisch. Praktisch. Gut. 2,946 Posts
    Horseleech said:

Yeah, that's the bugger. Missed that thread.
    I remember now that Skel was the lucky winner.
    Awesome tunes!

• I only have one flexi, Motorhead "train kept a rollin'"