Favorite Living Artists

2»

Comments

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    InnerSpace said:
    I really enjoy Anselm Kiefer..

He is one of my all time favorites. Like dude is so much in another stratosphere with his shit - especially once you get to experience them in person..

I used to be pretty up on new artists but I've let myself slip over the past 10 years or so. Need to kind of get back into it, especially since I'll probably start buying in earnest in teh next couple years. Some great names in here.

My dream painting? To own anything by Sidney Goodman, but particularly any of the 4 Elements. Or maybe all 4. If I became a billionaire.

Friends of mine, whom I own pieces of, but would have even if I didn't know them: Steve Powers & Dylan Sherwood McConnell.

• Huge cosine on ESPO

other favorites:

Clare Rojas

Raymond Pettibon

Martyn F. Overweel

Barry McGee

Faile

B??st

To??o Camu??as

Dr. Lakra

Albert Reyes

Enrique Marty

Chris Johanson

Jim Houser

Gert & Uwe Tobias

Corey Arnold

• HorseleechHorseleech 3,830 Posts
    Epic Strings said:
    Faile

I can't believe I found this image online. This is a shot of a Faile 'Vinyl Dog' that he surreptitiously place on the gate housing on my Brooklyn store. I'm not sure how long it was there before I noticed it (it's about 16 feet off the ground), but I was honored to see it.

Of course, some asshole stole it a few weeks later...

• batmonbatmon 27,574 Posts

Mark Bradford

• bassiebassie 11,710 Posts
    batmon said:

Mark Bradford

I really wish I could see his work in person, him and so many others.
    I think the impact, especially for abstract work, is in the scale and seeing true colour, texture, etc.

Not to get corny, but I got all choked up the first time I saw a Balthus painting in real life.
    It was overwhelming!

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    batmon said:

Mark Bradford

Yes.

• Josh Keyes

• CosmoCosmo 9,768 Posts
    I have a Jim Houser. Love that dude.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Samantha Keely Smith

These are oil (?) paintings, usually around 6 to 8 feet square. No computers involved. Seeing them on the web does them no justice to how truly beautiful they are.

• DJBombjackDJBombjack Miami 1,665 Posts
    Oh - Ron English and Chuck Close too

• eliseelise 3,252 Posts
    Epic Strings said:

Albert Reyes

I still have this book with a collection of his works/sketches. Love it.